Interpreting agent response

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
First, the good news, the (big-time) agent liked my query. But from reading the note I got in my SASE, I don't know what he wants me to send.

It says, "after reading your query I would like to see more. If you can send me a summary of your work I would love to read it."

A summary of my work? Is that a synopsis? I didn't send any pages with the query, but the agent doesn't mention pages. So do I send the usual 50? I think it would be a little bit over-eager to send the whole thing. And a synopsis by itself seems pretty flimsy. I'm not sure phoning the office or emailing the agent for a clarification is the way to go either.

So synopsis and 50 pages is my thinking right now. But I have the whole weekend to accept advice.

jkorzenko

Registered
Reaction score
I agree. I'd go synop and first 50. And congratulations, btw.

This is fiction right and not non-fiction?

J.

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
jkorzenko said:
I agree. I'd go synop and first 50. And congratulations, btw.

This is fiction right and not non-fiction?

J.

This is fiction, yes. I've heard of outline and synopsis, but never summary. I'm thinking no more than a page, right?

jkorzenko

Registered
Reaction score
Yes. I would do a one page (single space) synop. Best of luck to you!

HorrorWriter

It's a new dawn. It's a new day.
Registered
Reaction score
In your closet with the Boogeyman's corpse!
I would send a 5-page synopsis with the ending. A summary of your work means just that. If he wanted the first 50, he would have asked specifically for it. If you're unsure just send him a quick e-mail. I spent 30 minutes on the phone yesterday with a big-wig agent who called me...on a Sunday! So it doesn't hurt to follow up! Good luck! ;)

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
You're right.
A phone call to the agency revealed that all they want is a synopsis at this point.
And it isn't the agent I sent the query to, but the person who answers the phone.
So I sent it to her.
I feel as if I'm a long long way from getting that dreamed of phone call on a Sunday (or any day).

HorrorWriter

It's a new dawn. It's a new day.
Registered
Reaction score
In your closet with the Boogeyman's corpse!
Popmuze,
No, you're not! I thought I was too! I worked my butt off and wrote an original, urban fantasy, and wrote a killer query. You are not as far off as you think. I don't worry about the queries, I worry about improving my writing. I still have to make changes and additions to my manuscript, then my Sunday agent wants me to mail her the entire manuscript. She was friendly and wanted to read the entire thing. She may very well be my agent. Who knows? I have a few to choose from. I'll keep the one who has my career ideals in mind. Anyway, keep at it; it's only a matter of time! Good luck!:Thumbs:

Last edited:

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
HW,
Thanks for the comments. You may be interested in my post over at the Rejections and Dejections saloon.