Can someone help with a Radio DJ question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
If someone can help me with these details, I'd be much obliged! :)

Is the dj isolated in a sound booth? (Is it called a sound booth?)

Does a dj wear headphones the entire time in the booth? Or take them off when talking into the mic?

If the dj has a guest, do they also wear headphones?

Thanks!

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
I think it varies widely.

Something of interest to note:

The last time I was at the Cumulus Media Office they made a big 'todo' about how they would soon be prerecording their programs and the DJ's would only be there for short periods to do live calls. Some of the late night shows are already recorded during the day and played later (like Dave Letterman) depending on the format.

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, I figured there were probably variations all over. I just don't want to have my guy doing something that will cause any dj readers to hurl the book into the fireplace. :D

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com
Carrie in PA said:
If someone can help me with these details, I'd be much obliged! :)

Is the dj isolated in a sound booth? (Is it called a sound booth?)

Does a dj wear headphones the entire time in the booth? Or take them off when talking into the mic?

If the dj has a guest, do they also wear headphones?

Thanks!

I worked in radio for more than seven years so I'll answer for my experience but like has already been mentioned, it varies widely from station to station.

We were not isolated in a sound booth....which I would personally call a studio. Our news director, however, did the news from a seperate studio. I worked for two different stations but the above held true at both. At the largest station I worked for, we had four seperate studios - the control room (the main studio from whence the broadcasts issued), the news room, the production studio, and the "big" studio.

We did not wear headphones but I have known DJs at other stations who did.

Our guests did not ever wear headphones - we normally set them up with their own microphone, though.

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
johnnysannie said:
I worked in radio for more than seven years so I'll answer for my experience but like has already been mentioned, it varies widely from station to station.

We were not isolated in a sound booth....which I would personally call a studio. Our news director, however, did the news from a seperate studio. I worked for two different stations but the above held true at both. At the largest station I worked for, we had four seperate studios - the control room (the main studio from whence the broadcasts issued), the news room, the production studio, and the "big" studio.

We did not wear headphones but I have known DJs at other stations who did.

Our guests did not ever wear headphones - we normally set them up with their own microphone, though.

Thanks very much! That's just what I needed! :)

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
A DJ (or "jock" or "air personality") has to wear headphones because when the mic is turned on, the audio in the studio is silenced (to prevent feedback). The headphones allow the jock to hear the music or promos so he can adjust levels and hear his cues.

A guest does not have to wear headphones unless he needs to hear audio, like music or some other kind of sound bite so he can respond to it. However, if the guest is in a different studio, he will need headphones to hear the cues from the host.

allen

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
underthecity said:
A DJ (or "jock" or "air personality") has to wear headphones because when the mic is turned on, the audio in the studio is silenced (to prevent feedback). The headphones allow the jock to hear the music or promos so he can adjust levels and hear his cues.

A guest does not have to wear headphones unless he needs to hear audio, like music or some other kind of sound bite so he can respond to it. However, if the guest is in a different studio, he will need headphones to hear the cues from the host.

allen

Not at the stations where I worked but it varies between one station and another - and market size (as well as station size) matters.

Lilybiz

glad to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
petreaburchard.com
underthecity said:

allen

My experience was like Allen's. When I worked as a rock DJ I wore headphones because otherwise I wouldn't have been able to hear the other audio. I took them off to do paperwork, talk to people off the air, etc., but when I was on the air (when my mic was open) I had the "cans" on.

Sometimes your interviewee isn't even in the same building with you. They can be on the phone, or working out of another studio. I don't understand the engineering, but whether or not they're using headphones will depend on several variations.

D.Hall

Registered
Reaction score
underthecity said:

allen

This is correct and they call the area the DJ's work in a studio. And many refer to physical guest as 'in-studio guest'.

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
D.Hall said:
This is correct and they call the area the DJ's work in a studio. And many refer to physical guest as 'in-studio guest'.

Not true at every station. In the radio stations I worked at, each studio was self-contained and was a silent zone when the mic was "on", indicated by a red light on above the (closed) studio door.

Come to Missouri; I'd be happy to give anyone a tour of the several stations I've worked for where the DJ's (or announcers) work sans headphones!

Better yet, maybe the original poster could ask radio stations in their home area for a tour and see firsthand.

lilyteague

Registered
Reaction score
Worked in Missouri myself! Every station I've ever worked for had you in a sound-proof studio. Sometimes it was something like on Frasier, sometimes it was just a little cubby of a room.

I've worn headphones and not worn headphones. It kinda depends on what I'm doing. Hey, a lot of stuff is pre-recorded anyway. No one is really there most of the time.

When I worked a traditional jazz station (lots of records and talk), it was necessary to wear headphones so you could tell where the music was. When you are simply crossing from the mike to music, you don't necessarily need headphones.

You don't have to have headphones to prevent feedback when you are on the mike because most set-ups will cut the studio speakers when the mike is turned on, preventing feedback. That's why you sometimes hear DJ's talking over a commercial or something. They have no idea that the computer is still running (because they aren't paying attention).

It's been several years, but I think you can also have your board set so that you can barely hear audio while you don't have headphones on. The mike won't pick it up.

Most DJ's will only put the headphones on when they need to talk in the mike. You just push them back around your neck. Put them back on, push the buttons, do your thing, roll the computer and then take them back off.

It's been a long time. When I started in radio, we used carts and I learned how to edit using a reel to reel. Now everything is digital.

Status
Not open for further replies.