Are there any YA novels about teens hiding pregnancy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
After listening to today's horrifying Oprah, about a girl who hid her pregnancy and disposed of the baby's body after it was born :(, I was wondering if there were any YA novels about teens trying to hide a pregnancy. It's something girls often try to do, and I wondered if it has been addressed.

Also, what YA novels about teen pregnancy do you suggest? So far, I've listened to the audio book of Angela Johnson's First Part Last, but as far as I remember, that's about it.

batgirl

Writting broad
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bmlgordon.com
It goes back a ways, but Fair Day and Another Step Begun, by Katie Letcher Lyle, is based on the ballad Child Waters, and is about a girl who hides her pregnancy, dresses as a boy and follows the boy who made her pregnant. No infanticide - I think she gives birth in the stable.
-Barbara

moondance

Registered
Reaction score
There is a trilogy called Megan (Megan 1, 2 and 3) by Mary Hooper, about a girl who discovers she's 5 months pregnant in the first book, learns to cope with new baby in second and then develops story in third. Not quite along the lines you're suggesting though.

TwentyFour

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
"Riding in Cars with Boys: Confessions of a Bad Girl Who Makes Good" by Beverly Donofrio Although she didn't really hide it too much.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know about any novels, but the movie Saved deals with this.

mooncars

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Doesn't matter, as long as you give a new spin on the tale. Show the hard work and dedication it's taking her to be a Mommy. A happy ending isn't too much to ask.

I didn't do it this time,
Rick

TwentyFour

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I hid my pregnancy in my senior year, only got away with it for a month though. My mother was very watchful of me when I was in her sights...lol. I didn't kill my son either.

Arisa81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
pacificpurple.blogspot.com
I read a book once about a pregnant teen. I can't recall if she was hiding it or not, but it was done in diary form, she was writing to the baby. I wish I could remember the name, it was a while ago.

Elektra

Don't Call Me Sweetheart
Registered
Reaction score
SouthernWriter1978 said:
I hid my pregnancy in my senior year, only got away with it for a month though. My mother was very watchful of me when I was in her sights...lol. I didn't kill my son either.

I heart brave people.

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
The book I'm writing now has a pregnant girl in it...I think it's a very common plot/sub, actually. The hiding is more original, but it's still something we see on the news all the time...I think if there's going to be a hidden pregnancy in a book, there's gotta be more to it or it's just a problem novel.

Kade

"Angel's Choice" by Lauren Baratz-Logsted. The pregnancy isn't hidden for the full term, though.

Robin

What have I gotten myself into?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robinbridges.com
We just had a seventeen year old on our maternity unit whose parents had brought her to the ER for severe abdominal and back pain. When ER asked if she'd had any prenatal care the parents were stunned. The girl claimed she didn't know she was pregnant, and was wheeled upstairs to L&D where she delivered twins. Her parents had no clue. The girl later admitted she knew she hadn't had a period in several months and she knew she could be pregnant, but was just in denial.

The_Grand_Duchess

I record everything.
Registered
Reaction score
Bangkok, the Underground and the Holy ground.
We just had a seventeen year old on our maternity unit whose parents had brought her to the ER for severe abdominal and back pain. When ER asked if she'd had any prenatal care the parents were stunned. The girl claimed she didn't know she was pregnant, and was wheeled upstairs to L&D where she delivered twins. Her parents had no clue. The girl later admitted she knew she hadn't had a period in several months and she knew she could be pregnant, but was just in denial.

Wow, thats crazy.

Teenage pregnancy is a fairly common theme and I vaguly remember reading books where the girl hid it, certaintly seen movies and tv shows about it. Persoanlly I think it would be intresting to read about the aftermath. You know the girls that deliver in bathrooms and stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.