PDA

View Full Version : Getting a beagle puppy :)

awatkins
11-04-2006, 01:13 AM
We're getting a beagle puppy this weekend! He's a blue tick--black and white with a little bit of brown. There are black (blue) spots on the white parts (that's what makes him a blue-tick). He's really cute! Gotta puppy-proof the house now and go shopping for puppy stuff before he gets here. Oh, yeah, and call the vet to make an appointment for the first check-up and stuff.

I'll try to post some pics next week. :)

By the way, this time next week I'll probably be a basket case, between the puppy and the two interested parrots. Pancho already does a great imitation of a whining puppy and I'm sure he'll respond to any puppy noises. This should be fun. *groan*

TheIT
11-04-2006, 01:18 AM
Congrats on your new pet!

My aunt had a beagle when I was little. The name escapes me at the moment, but what I remember about the dog was lying on my back in the hallway with this puppy on my chest enthusiastically licking my face. I think I was about five years old at the time and probably had been eating something sweet.

Good luck!

Ol' Fashioned Girl
11-04-2006, 01:21 AM
That's the good thing about puppies, though! It doesn't matter what you've been eating, they love to lick your face! Ah, puppy breath!

Enjoy, Anne! Rub his tummy for me!

awatkins
11-04-2006, 01:25 AM
Thanks, y'all. And I'll give him a tummy rub for you, OFG. :)

I'm kind of nervous. There hasn't been a puppy in the family for nearly 15 years so I'm reading up on puppy training and stuff. Can't wait to start shopping for him!

TheIT
11-04-2006, 01:30 AM
I've never owned a dog so I can't really help you, but if it's anything like proofing the house for cats, I'd suggest getting everything nice off the floor.

Maybe earmuffs for the parrots so they can't hear the puppy? :D

What's the puppy's name?

awatkins
11-04-2006, 01:34 AM
His name is Darby. We picked out the name before we decided which puppy we wanted! LOL

And, yeah, I already thought about all the things I'm going to have to move. For one thing, those shelves of books that I really don't want to get 'dog eared'. ;)

IHeartWriting
11-04-2006, 02:00 AM
LOL -- My senegal does a dead on impression of the phone ringing -- drives me NUTS!

Thank goodness my dog doesn't whine because I'm sure the bird would pick that up too.

Good luck!

veinglory
11-04-2006, 02:07 AM
Congrats! beagles are one of my favorite dogs, but you can't skimp on the puppy obediance training given those hunting instincts (running off after scents and barking, oh my God, the barking!) ;)

MidnightMuse
11-04-2006, 02:08 AM
PUPPIES!!!!!!!!!!!

PuppiesPuppiesPuppies! I just loooove puppies :D

Okay, sure, you're only getting ONE, but it sounds better to dance around saying PUPPIES!!!!!

I demand posted photos. DE-MAND :D

oarsman
11-04-2006, 07:16 AM
Congratulations! A new puppy!! Good luck with the new parrot whining and yelping sounds. I'm sure you'll be able to tune it all out. http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/musical/headphones.gif

Purina has a puppy care program you might be interested in...you get a $2 coupon on puppy chow and some puppy care tips. Here's the Purina link. (https://offers.purina.com/offer.aspx?offer=PCDMI)

Haggis
11-04-2006, 07:55 AM
I love beagles. Be sure to get lots of chewy stuff for him to gnaw on, and a pair of earplugs for yourself. The yelping, or howling will get to you eventually, but you couldn't have a nicer dog.

J. Weiland
11-04-2006, 01:15 PM
Beagles are sweet little dogs. Just remember that they need a lot of exercise in order not to be a pestilence when inside. :)

Nancy
11-04-2006, 09:29 PM
Congrats, Anne, on your new baby! Looking forward to some good parrot/puppy stories!

DigoryScout
11-05-2006, 06:38 AM
Beagles!!! :snoopy:

I've got two--10 year old Scout (http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a161/shelbyscout/chewing-dog-1.jpg) (13" tri-color) and 2 year old Digory (http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a161/shelbyscout/digory-cuddlepuppy.jpg) (15" tri). Welcome to life with a merry little hound who loves to sniff, snack, and snooze :).

Beagles are great dogs--cute, friendly, good with kids, outgoing, a manageable size, and just all-around fun. Like every breed, beagles have particular characteristics that can make them challenging at times. Again, like every breed, the more you get trained now the better off you'll be later.

There's nothing I hate more than people who give completely unsolicited advice--and lots of it--so I'll keep it short and address the three biggest issues you'll face right now: house training, chewing, and barking.

The easiest way to house train is to use crate training. If you're not familiar with crate training, I'll start by saying that it's not inhumane :D. How it works is that you get a crate (cage, wire is usually best) and when you're not watching, the pup lives in there. By instinct, dogs will not soil their beds, so even the youngest puppies will hold it while they are in their crates. Obviously you have to be vigilant about what can be expected of a small puppy as far as time-wise goes. When it's time for the pup to go outside, take him on a leash (even if you have a fenced yard, go ahead and accompany him) and when he does his thing, praise him extravagantly (a tiny treat is always a nice reward). This teaches him that when he goes outside, that's a great thing. As you're standing around waiting for him to go, pick a phrase and repeat it while the deed is done. I picked, "go potty" (which was a mistake--will explain in a sec) so while the dog is sniffing around I'm saying, "go potty! go potty! go potty!" until it happens, and then, "good potty!" This has the added bonus of training your dog to pee on command. I can't tell you how handy that is. As far as the phrase to pick--it doesn't matter what it is, but I'd recommend against, "go potty" because you look kind of stupid walking around the block or at a park or wherever saying, "go potty! go potty!" My friend used the phrase, "hurry up!" and boy, that was a good idea.

Issue #2 is chewing. Chewing is always going to be a problem (http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a161/shelbyscout/chewed-phone-charger.jpg). The key to curbing chewing is to prevent, distract, and deter. Prevention is obvious. Like you said, moving your books to higher levels was a very good idea. Distraction involves lots of appropriate things for the dog to chew--rawhide, Booda bones, regular bones, Nylabones, stuffed animals (don't bother with rubber squeaky toys--beagles will gleefully shred them and then run around while you're trying to get the pieces out of their mouths), rope toys, etc. Not all dogs like the same thing, so you'll need to get a variety of delicious chewing items and see how they work. Be careful with rawhide because large chunks can break off and be swallowed. Scout, Digory and I prefer Booda chewies because they're made of corn starch and just pass through the digestion system. Once you've got a chewie, then whenever you see the dog chewing something you don't want him to, distract and redirect him toward the chewie. To deter, you can never go wrong with Bitter Apple Spray (http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444177 5320&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302026181&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023689&bmUID=1162693300740&itemNo=1&Ntt=bitter+apple+spray&In=All&previousText=bitter+apple+spray&N=2). It's harmless but it tastes disgusting and they won't want to chew on the contaminated surface anymore.

#3 is barking. There are lots of barking issues and solutions, but the easiest to start out with is a squirt bottle. Beagles by nature don't like being wet all that much (there are exceptions, but in general, they don't--just wait until bath time) so a squirt bottle is usually effective for them. When the barking starts, give a command (like "quiet"--every command should have only one meaning so don't use "no" for everything) and if the barking continues (and it will) give him a squirt. Try not to shoot for his face--anywhere will usually do. They're not real fond of that. Then praise like crazy.

And I said I'd only give 3 pieces of advice but I'll add one more. Beagles in general (not all, of course) don't like their paws to be handled, so nail trims can be extremely difficult. Ideally you'll want to trim his nails at home, so start now by handling his paws a lot and touching his nails a lot. I wish I'd done a better job of this with Scout, who I got as a puppy, because we can't do it at home now and have to go to the groomer at PetSmart. But Digory--whoa boy. We got him from a rescue at age 1 and man oh man--we actually have to take him to the vet to be anesthetized for a nail trim :rolleyes:.

All right, I'll shut up now :D. If you have any questions about the cuddly beag, let me know. Like I said, beagles have some unique characteristics that make them a little different to deal with sometimes. Have fun!

Wheeee! Snoopy! :snoopy:

C.bronco
11-05-2006, 06:46 AM
I hope you have good sneakers; beagles like to run! I once dated a guy with a beagle, the latter I bailed out of the pound three times within six months. They are hard to catch!

DigoryScout
11-05-2006, 06:54 AM
I hope you have good sneakers; beagles like to run! I once dated a guy with a beagle, the latter I bailed out of the pound three times within six months. They are hard to catch!
Haha--so true! :ROFL: What it comes down to is that beagles will always follow their noses without regard to things like, oh, cars or stuff. Once they get a taste of freedom and get on a scent trail, they're extremely difficult to catch up with. The bottom line is really that beagles can never be trusted off-leash if they're not in a fenced-in area.

C.bronco
11-05-2006, 06:56 AM
This beagle was named Serendipity because it kept finding things that the owner wasn't looking for.

veinglory
11-05-2006, 07:00 AM
I spent a very cold afternoon calling and calling for a beagle that was behind a shrub eating a rabbit anout 10 feet away the whole time. But when you finally do find them they corner the market on the cute "what? who, looking for me? really?" look.

C.bronco
11-05-2006, 07:01 AM
Yum!

September skies
11-05-2006, 10:41 AM
:snoopy: Love is a puppy! How exciting. Congratulations on your new family addition.

lobiso
11-05-2006, 07:46 PM
Just found this thread here - Oh, I love beagles too, little buggers that they are. I rescued one in KY that was living in the woods alone for five months. Took me three months to catch her, but now she's a regular bed-bug and runs the place living with my ex. Weirdly, there was another here in NJ, same scenario, on her own for three months. She was finally captured and adopted in Aug. Advice from this - don't let her run free, but they're just the best dogs ever! Congrats!

awatkins
11-05-2006, 11:50 PM
:snoopy: Darby's here! :snoopy: I'll post pix in a day or so. He's a real little cutie pie!

Thank you all so very much for the helpful advice! I appreciate everyone for taking the time to share your ideas and experiences. :)

Right now, he's playing contentedly in his crate...got a binky, two soft (dog-safe) stuffed toys, and a rope toy. He's had a nice long nap, a meal and two trips to the yard. Just sneaked a peek at him--he's sawing logs again. lol

He loves to be snuggled and scratched under his chin and his tail wags like crazy the whole time. So far the parrot noise hasn't bothered him in the least, but he hasn't come face to face with them yet. That'll be interesting!

TheIT
11-06-2006, 12:19 AM
Glad to hear Darby's making himself at home. How are the parrots reacting to him? Have they noticed him yet?

Dawno
11-06-2006, 04:08 AM
How fabulous, Anne! I'm a dedicated cat person, but if I were to get a dog it would be a beagle. They're wonderful.

Pat~
11-06-2006, 04:44 AM
Congratulations on your new family member! Enjoy this puppy stage; they grow up so fast. I'm curious how a parrot would sound trying to imitate a beagle howl. :-)

awatkins
11-06-2006, 08:54 PM
Well, I introduced puppy to parrots this morning and it actually went pretty well. Rio got a little excited (squared his head feathers in the classic Blue-crown conure come-closer-and-I'll-get-you manner) and Pancho climbed down his cage bars and tried to stick his beak out toward the puppy. Nothing too aggressive so I was happy for that. And Darby just barked at them a little bit; he also gave them a couple of 'Arooo! too. :)

The birds have always been around dogs and Pancho learned to do a very convincing puppy whimper around 12-13 years ago when Taffy had a litter. I'm just waiting to hear a beagle howl from him!

Thanks for the congrats and encouraging words. It's almost like having a new baby human in the house. Heh!

MidnightMuse
11-06-2006, 09:08 PM
I can't wait for pictures :)

And I can't wait for all those lovely birdies to start mimicking that lovely Beagle Howl :D

TheIT
11-06-2006, 09:14 PM
I'm waiting for the beagle to start imitating the bird calls. ;)

oarsman
11-06-2006, 09:53 PM
I'm waiting for the beagle to start imitating the bird calls. ;)

I'd like to see the beagle start imitating that parrot head-bobbing action. :D

TheIT
11-06-2006, 10:00 PM
I'd like to see the beagle start imitating that parrot head-bobbing action. :D

As long as the beagle doesn't try to fly, too. :D

TheIT
11-07-2006, 04:12 AM
You could always get the beagle a flying helmet, goggles, and a scarf like Snoopy. Would one of the parrots mind posing like Woodstock? :D

awatkins
11-07-2006, 04:21 AM
You guys crack me up. :roll:

I hope Darby doesn't start the parrot head-bobbing thing! Ack, that's gross...I mean precious...enough when the birds do it. Heh heh.

Thanks for all the comments! :)

Okay, now I can't stop giggling about dressing one of the feathered ones up as Woodstock...

SHBueche
11-07-2006, 05:42 AM
I agree with the posters about beagles following their nose, they catch a 'whiff' and they are gone. Keep them on a short leash at all times!

That said, beagles are great canine companions.

oarsman
11-07-2006, 06:54 AM
http://www.smileyarena.com/emoticons/Packs/Peanuts/peanuts20.gif I think the pets at Anne's house keep her on a short leash. http://www.smileyarena.com/emoticons/Packs/Peanuts/peanuts49.gif

awatkins
11-07-2006, 07:01 PM
How did you ever guess that, oarsman? :D

awatkins
11-09-2006, 12:06 AM
Darby had a great check-up this morning! The vet said he's in perfect shape, very healthy, and quite a talker (Darby kept howling and whining). That's my boy. :D

He weighed 3.9 pounds and got the first of his puppy shots--what a trooper; he didn't even flinch! Everybody there kept laughing at him, from the receptionist, to the vet, to the other people in the waiting room. I guess there's just something funny about a little bitty puppy sticking his nose in the air and going, "Arooo!"

I'll post a pic tomorrow. :)

MidnightMuse
11-09-2006, 12:16 AM
Nah, we just like giggling at the fact that YOU have to live with that, and we don't :D

But seriously - I'm dyin' for a photo !!!

awatkins
11-09-2006, 12:26 AM
At this point, it's funny but I'm sure down the road it will get much less humorous. Especially as I get to enjoy the 'music' of my dad's beagles pretty often--he lives just through the woods from here and they go out and chase things every day. :D

TheIT
11-09-2006, 12:34 AM
How heavy do adult beagles get? At the moment, each of my cats outweighs your puppy by three-to-one. :D

awatkins
11-09-2006, 12:37 AM
Are you talking about your polymer clay cats? :D

TheIT
11-09-2006, 12:51 AM
Are you talking about your polymer clay cats? :D

Nope, my live cats. I'm not sure how to post pictures, so I put a picture of them up as my profile picture. Sparky is the brown and white Snowshoe cat (12 pounds), and Milli is the orange and white tabby (14 pounds). They're brothers. Every time I see my neighbor walking his chihuahuas, I look at my cats and snicker. :D

As for polymer clay, most of my projects are weighed in ounces, not pounds. It would be very difficult to bake a 12 pound sculpture thoroughly. For larger pieces like dragons, I make an internal armature using hot glue, crumpled aluminum foil, and a hammer to pound out the air bubbles. Very therapeutic.

MidnightMuse
11-09-2006, 12:53 AM
At this point, it's funny but I'm sure down the road it will get much less humorous. Especially as I get to enjoy the 'music' of my dad's beagles pretty often--he lives just through the woods from here and they go out and chase things every day. :D

My sister loves beagles for that reason alone - but I keep telling her #1: We're cat people, and B: it's cute for a while, but living with that ??? I just dunno !

Of course when they're your little darlings, you learn to put up with just about anything. My sheltie was a whiner, drove us nuts, but what can you do?

Actually one of my cats is a huge whiner, and he can make your eyes twitch when he gets going and won't shut up, but ya gotta love 'em :D

MidnightMuse
11-15-2006, 10:39 PM
Where are the puppy pics????????

SHBueche
11-15-2006, 11:18 PM
I had a beagle once and she was an excellent therapy dog. If you want information about becoming a Pet Partner team, check out: deltasociety.org. Also, I concur with the group--beagles are runners and take after the scent, so be careful and make sure your fence is in good shape and there aren't any areas that they can dig out of (because they will, if they can!).

Ol' Fashioned Girl
11-16-2006, 08:00 PM
Yeah! Puppy pics! Puppy Pics! Puppy Pics!

awatkins
11-22-2006, 07:55 PM
Aww, you guys are so sweet! Thanks for asking for pix of the Darbster. :)

As soon as we have Dawnette (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46222&highlight=dawnette) up and running, I'll post some! Gotta get those attachment thingies and other goodies all ironed out.

Darby is growing like a weed, has a great personality, and is just a fabulous little dog. I'm so glad we got him. :)

MidnightMuse
11-22-2006, 09:19 PM
Well, I guess we can be patient, as long as you are taking photos of his puppy-hood so we don't miss out! :)

awatkins
11-23-2006, 01:26 AM
Am I taking pictures? Oh, man, I've probably got as many pictures of this puppy as I do my grandkids. :ROFL: Okay, maybe not that many, but I've got tons!

And you all won't have to wait much longer to see him...pictures are on the way, courtesy of oarsman! :)

MidnightMuse
11-23-2006, 02:49 AM
Goodie :D

oarsman
11-23-2006, 04:22 AM
Here are two pictures of Darby from Anne! What a cute puppy!

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p107/oarsman/darby1.jpg

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p107/oarsman/darby3.jpg

MidnightMuse
11-23-2006, 10:37 AM
AAAAWWWWWWWWWWW

What a cutie pie!!!!!!

I just love puppies :D What a darling little darling! That just made my evening - as I sit here waiting for the pumpkin pie to finish cooking so I can go to bed :)

Thanks for that - and what a little darling!!!!

J. Weiland
11-23-2006, 05:44 PM
Sweet little dog. :D

Ol' Fashioned Girl
11-24-2006, 03:16 PM
What a cute baby! Thanks for giving us a peek!

awatkins
11-24-2006, 10:24 PM
Thanks, everybody! Darby has changed so much since I took those pictures--he's a lot bigger and has more white on his muzzle now. He sits at my feet and turns that cute little face up to me...*sigh* Too sweet!

And a HUGE thanks to oarsman for posting the pictures! :Hug2:

Nancy
11-29-2006, 01:45 AM
Thanks for posting pix of Anne's adorable puppy!

More, please!!

TheIT
11-29-2006, 02:47 AM
Cute lil guy! :)

TheIT
11-29-2006, 10:10 PM
And thanks, oarsman, both for posting the pics and for the wishes! :)