PDA

View Full Version : Complete Idiot's Guide to Writing for Young Adults

AnneMarble
11-03-2006, 06:13 PM
The Complete Idiot's Guide to Writing for Young Adults is out! This is cool to me because for all the books about writing for children and young adults, this is the first one for a long time to concentrate just on writing for young adults. (There are one or two others, but they've been out of print for a long time.)
I just wish it didn't have to come out as a Complete Idiots Guide. :rolleyes: Why couldn't it have come out as a regular writing book? You know, a thicker one? ;) Oh, well, it will probably still be good. It had better be. :D

Vincent
11-04-2006, 02:24 PM
The title appeals to me, for some reason.

Doctor Shifty
11-04-2006, 04:32 PM
How about -
The Young Adult's Guide to Writing for Complete Idiots?
:)

eleniandthecards
11-06-2006, 08:54 PM
I put that on my amazon wishlist- looks great! I've also got Getting Published for Dummies and Writing a Romance Novel for Dummies. They're both very good.

Arisa81
11-30-2006, 05:37 AM
I definitely want this book too! I was planning to write a ya novel this year, and although I don't lack ideas, I can't seem to get a story out on paper. My goals for 2007 is to write one though, so this book will come in handy!

jessicab_87
12-05-2006, 10:02 PM
How cool! I'll have to get that!

Arisa81
12-31-2006, 01:47 AM
I'm so happy. I got the book. I haven't had time yet to really sit down and read it page by page, but through skimming it I know it will be a great help. It will definitely motivate me to actually write that ya novel I've always wanted to.

Jamesaritchie
01-04-2007, 12:16 AM
The Complete Idiot's Guide to Writing for Young Adults is out! This is cool to me because for all the books about writing for children and young adults, this is the first one for a long time to concentrate just on writing for young adults. (There are one or two others, but they've been out of print for a long time.)
I just wish it didn't have to come out as a Complete Idiots Guide. :rolleyes: Why couldn't it have come out as a regular writing book? You know, a thicker one? ;) Oh, well, it will probably still be good. It had better be. :D

I think it was Isaac Asimov who, after using "Idiot" in the title of a similar book, said the "Idiot" in such a title is the writer, not the reader.

Legionsynch
01-05-2007, 11:50 PM
I picked this book up, and unfortunately, I didn't find much in it. I thought it was very flat and unhelpful, or maybe it was just that it was so identical to other books I've already read and tried to incorporate into my writing before.

Has anyone else actually read it and felt this way?

Arisa81
01-06-2007, 01:14 AM
I have it and it's helpful to me. I like a book that gives me things to think about while working on my story. The little tips and stuff. It probably wouldn't be for someone who has written books before. But in terms of someone wanting to write a book and wanting to get published for the first time, good. It does have the same ieas as other books, no question. But I like it :)

Grampa Joe
01-25-2007, 08:46 PM
I got the book from Amazon a few days ago. It is supurb! Gives all the pitfalls and successes of YA writing. I think it will be a re-read many times more.

jonereb
01-26-2007, 04:35 PM
I just ordered a copy from Amazon. What is considered the age group for YA? I generally think of high school. But the front cover of The Idiots Guide depicts younger kids.