Do you need permission to use correspondence in an article?

RGame

Some guy
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe an editor can answer this question. I don't really know who else to ask.

I'm trying to do a humor article where I write a letter to an organization where I say stupid (and hopefully funny) things, hoping that the organization writes back once or twice and make a funny article out it.

Is it necessary to get permission to use the other guy's email?

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
RGame said:
Maybe an editor can answer this question. I don't really know who else to ask.

I'm trying to do a humor article where I write a letter to an organization where I say stupid (and hopefully funny) things, hoping that the organization writes back once or twice and make a funny article out it.

Is it necessary to get permission to use the other guy's email?

This is a muddy issue, but the short answer is yes, you do need permission. In a sense, you own the e-mail, but the writer of the e-mail owns the copyright.

All writing, including personal corespondance, is copyright protected the moment it's written. Just because someone sends you a letter does not mean they are also sending the copyright ownership to that letter. This also applies to e-mails.

There are ands, ifs, and butts, and sometimes it all depends on where and why and how the e-mail is sent, but for the most part, you do need permission to use personal e-mails in an article, just as you need permission to use a snail mail letter.

At the same time, when in doubt, either ask permission, or go ahead and use the e-mail, then let the editor worry about the legalities.

NTG

Registered
Reaction score
RGame said:

I would be cautious with the concept. It can be done well, and it also can be done in a way where the organization you "use" feels deceived and unfairly mocked. There's happy humor and there's mean humor. Choose wisely.

:2angel:

RGame

Some guy
Registered
Reaction score
I'm pretty certain I was being self-deprecating if anything, but it's hard to say how the other person will see it.

My letter was to a beard and mustache club. I pretended to be a guy who desperately wanted to join, but I couldn't grow a full beard. I asked for some advice on how to grow a better beard. The guy wrote back and told me to seek my "inner beard." Also, I was no less a man.

He was pretty encouraging, and it would have been helpful advice had I really wanted to grow a beard.