Suggestions to help out

MarkButler

Part Time Fool
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.markbsplace.net
I had an idea today to start a thread of ideas for people who are struggling to make time for nano or perhaps looking for ideas to help them come up with a solution.

I had a good start, today instead of listening to music or a story during my workout, I purposefully did not take the ipod along and instead spent the time on the exercise bike thinking of my story. It worked out really well and by the time I was done I had several new parts for my first chapter.

You might give it a try.....

san_remo_ave

Back at it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elainegolden.com
That's a great suggestion, Mark.

I've found that traffic time can become Nano time when I turn off the radio. I either go berserk because of the stop-and-go or I start to think "what if my MC met a rabid dog on the way to the creek...?" Since I try to avoid road rage, I end up with some good story plotting time! Makes keyboard time a bit more productive (for me --I'm no where up to the speed of most other folks)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
At times my job can be very monotonous & boring. I get a lot of planning done during those times. Last year I was about three days ahead in my head than I was in typing, but it was close enough to hold the excitement if I came up w/ something good.

Eveningsdawn

Just Sing.
Registered
Reaction score
My 8 AM English class. Yes, I know it's terrible and I should be paying attention but we're doing Alice in Wonderland this week and I've read that sooooo many times.

Basically, if I don;t want to do my homework? I do Nano.

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
I like the traffic time suggestion - I have a voice activated recorder that I'm going to figure out how to use and take with me everywhere so I can make note of anything that pops into my head.

Why not a notebook? Because I can't in the car, of course, and I would rather have all the ideas in one place so even if I was somewhere where I could jot it down, I'll use the recorder.

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
Keep a notebook, too, for those times when you do have a chance to brainstorm. I find just writing down the questions about what might happen next helps me come up with ideas.

Sarashay

Shut Up and Write
Registered
Reaction score
If, like me, you have a job with internet access and a relatively relaxed net policy (i. e. you can surf between tasks as long as the work gets done--like I'm doing now!) then have your favorite webmail address open and work on your NaNo in an email. When the workday is over, email the results to yourself. I managed to get a big chunk of my first day's wordcount done that way.

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
I'm storing my WIP on Google Documents. If I want to work on it when I'm away from my writing computer at home all I have to do is sign into my Google account. I also wanted to make sure I had a back-up copy in case my hard drive goes wonky again.

Pomegranate

Registered
Reaction score
I love sprints and using prompts. I have books full of writing prompts. I pick one, apply it to my story, and set a timer for 5-10 minutes. Thats usually enough to fire up the neurons and start rolling. If not I just repeat until that happens.

MarkButler

Part Time Fool
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.markbsplace.net
Sarashay said:
If, like me, you have a job with internet access and a relatively relaxed net policy (i. e. you can surf between tasks as long as the work gets done--like I'm doing now!) then have your favorite webmail address open and work on your NaNo in an email. When the workday is over, email the results to yourself. I managed to get a big chunk of my first day's wordcount done that way.

To quote a famous beer commercial.... "BRILLIANT!"

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I love to use the commuting time to plot and plan, and also that time I spend waiting to fall asleep at night, that's when I work out the next scene coming up.

I also get a LOT of use out of a hot bubble bath. If I'm stuck or hitting a wall of any kind, I sit there and soak, working out the problem. Works every time :D

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
Long walks in the park always help me. Something about movement helps free my mind to plot and plan. I bring a notebook with me and jot down ideas as appropriate.

I also have a good friend who I talk to about the story. I call her my alpha reader rather than a beta reader since she's part of my writing process from the beginning. Sometimes talking it through with someone forces me to make decisions on where the story will go.