Share your insanity: First lines

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Last year we had a fun thread for first lines (we also had a contest for all sorts of things, including the best first lines). So what's the first sentence of your NaNo novel?

Last edited:

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
Oh, what, you ask for first lines, but don't offer your own? YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME! Fess up! Give it! Now! Or I'll steal all your ideas and use them myself! Or steal all your chocolate! Or, uh, something... ;)

"You don't have to manhandle it, you know," screamed Charla.
Taken out of context, that can be so, uh, misleading.

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
"When lurking on rooftops, not getting caught on the building is just as important as not falling off," said Katrina as she watched Pounce struggle to free his tunic from the fangs of the stone gargoyle.

davids

Banned
Reaction score
Rebecca, a long sanguine creature who had chosen me among many, stood behind kneading the tightened muscles surrounding my shoulders as though they were a good slab of dough that had to be made right for baking.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
quidscribis said:
Oh, what, you ask for first lines, but don't offer your own? YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME! Fess up! Give it! Now! Or I'll steal all your ideas and use them myself! Or steal all your chocolate! Or, uh, something... ;)
Oops, sorry. I was trying to decide whether my novel's first line counted, since I wrote it b4 NaNo, or if I should use the first line I wrote for NaNo, which is much less interesting. I've decided that the novel's first line is okay 'cuz some people might not actually write the first line on the first day. The first line is (sorry for those who have seen it before):

As the cold steel of the knife slipped between my ribs, I had only one thought: Oh, gods, this is going to create so much paperwork.

Eveningsdawn

Just Sing.
Registered
Reaction score
"There was nothing special about the way they spent August."

From Anthropology 101.

MarkN

Altogether Ookie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nutterwriter.wordpress.com
"Fenn Tussock drooled as he shuffled quickly down the long stone corridor from the kitchens to the Minor Hall."

Oo, oo, can I share my "hook" too?

In a world of wizards, dragons, and heroes, one peasant had a gift that no one expected or understood.

He was a detective.

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
"Death had no sense of common courtesy -- because if it had, Good Southern manners, gentility and breeding should have at least allowed for Dell to be on the job more than a week before he got his first homicide."

Tracey

Registered
Reaction score
Patti, I love your opening line. That's good stuff. Mine is:

"I just buried my wife." Not the most exciting of beginnings, but it will do.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Alex found himself at the edge of a cliff, dangling his toes over the crumbling, dirt-encrusted drop.

smiley10000

What do we do? We write...
Registered
Reaction score
Mine is too awful to post. It is long and convoluted and the internal editor is screaming to rewrite the first page but I say NO! Onwards and upwards we go...

:e2BIC:10000

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
:) Until this morning Sandy Dusters’ life has proven to be full of lackluster events.

(You were expecting something full of intrigue.

Right? Sorry.)

akelsey333

Peace...
Registered
Reaction score
"Carly Wilson knew it was going to be a bad day long before she snagged her last pair of panty hose, ran out of chocolate, and accidentally summoned a demon in the children’s section of her bookstore."

larrypotter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.markaiken.com
There are some excellent first lines out there! I don't think mine is so great... but that doesn't matter; for Nano purposes your first line doesn't HAVE to be good! That said...

The ecologist C. Hart Merriam described driving from Phoenix, Arizona to the San Fransisco Peaks of Flagstaff, 120 miles to the north, to traveling from the equator to the top of the North Pole.

Keep writing, everyone!

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
All the women in my family have psychic ‘gifts’ except for me.

Hey, I turned my IE off. So that's what you get.