PDA

View Full Version : Lisey's Story: Stephen King

MyFirstMystery
11-02-2006, 01:51 AM
Hi all,

Stephen King is giving a lecture tonight in Seattle as part of his book tour for Lisey's story and I'm excited to be going. I just finished the book and found it to be odd, often annoying, and also in some ways very good.

Wondering what others thought about the book.

MFM

madderblue
11-24-2006, 10:23 AM
I'm half through...will be back here in a week or so (very slow reader).;)

WriterInChains
11-24-2006, 11:14 PM
Hi all,

Stephen King is giving a lecture tonight in Seattle as part of his book tour for Lisey's story and I'm excited to be going. I just finished the book and found it to be odd, often annoying, and also in some ways very good.

Wondering what others thought about the book.

MFM

I just finished it & I loved it! Definitely a different feeling to the book than any of his others (except maybe Bag Of Bones, LS reminded me of that one in a way). I fell in love with Scott & Lisey, and the whole Boo'Ya Moon concept. And the writing itself made me want to read slowly; I usually devour his books. LS, compared to most of the new books I've read lately, was the literary equivalent of the difference between Hersey's and Moonstruck; chocolate is good, gourmet chocolate is sublime. I think I'll be re-reading this one sooner rather than later.

I'm curious what you found annoying about it. Because of BIC time & the day job (and well-meaning friends with books I "just have to read") it took me a long time to finish so I haven't read any reviews or threads about it yet. I don't like to be influenced by what others think of a book or movie -- I've been a King fan since the mid-70s & that's influence enough. Maybe Dooley? I can see that, especially if you haven't had experience with "crazy attracts crazy" in r/l. Unfortunately, it really does.

I'm curious about what you thought of the lecture. I saw him in Portland, and heard from some folks who'd been to his appearance in Seattle that it was a zoo (not that the Portland date wasn't :)). I find myself saying, "It's possible" a lot and laughing. But, there's a reason I understand that crazy attracts crazy. ;)

Siddow
07-16-2007, 04:42 PM
I just finished reading this last night, polished the whole thing off in three days. Now I wonder how long I'll be saying "mother smucker!" and all the other fabulous sayings King has sprinkled through this book.

I really enjoyed it, and I think that's because I flipped to the back first. No, not the last page, but I read the Author's Statement first. I think that prepared me for the sections that ended mid-statement, and all the other oddities throughout.

What I loved most about it, what I've always loved about King in general, was the voice. To me, this book was perfection on toast points.

scarletpeaches
07-16-2007, 05:56 PM
I got about 100 pages into it then realised I'd rather watch paint dry.

Stew21
07-16-2007, 05:59 PM
I've just started it.

Begbie
07-16-2007, 07:29 PM
I finished it for the sake of finishing it, just because I had spent twenty-five bucks on the hard cover. But I came away thinking, "That was a waste of two weeks." Cell had gotten me back into Stephen King; Lisey took me right back out.

pepperlandgirl
07-16-2007, 07:33 PM
I've started it. I'm working through it slowly. What really strikes me is that it's a story about language. The private language of a married couple. Written language. Family code. It's even written as though King wants nothing more than to celebrate as many words as possible. I can see why that would be pretty boring for some (most?) people. Sometimes I find my attention wandering, but still, it's an interesting decision.

tammieofmi
07-19-2007, 04:06 AM
It's great to read reviews from folks who liked it. I've started and stopped it 3 times now and it's been sitting on my shelf for weeks. I've gotten thru the first 50 pages and just got frustrated with it.

And I consider myself a huge fan of Kings. By the way, it would be thrilling to hear him lecture, how was it?

I agree with an earlier post who said they enjoyed Cell which sort of brought them back, I liked that one to and was just frustrated that I couldn't seem to stick with LS.

The reference to Bag of Bones (which I thought was one of his most emotional books) and the reviews of those who liked it have me thinking I should go for try number 4 and see what happens.

tammieofmi
07-19-2007, 04:07 AM
oops I guess the lecture was back in 06 or is the date wrong on the posting?

seun
07-19-2007, 04:32 PM
I forced myself to read it as it was a present. I won't read it again which never happens for me with King.

The language was too cute for my taste; I wanted to smack Scott, and if I ever hear smuck or bool in real life, I may have to hurt myself.

aadams73
07-19-2007, 04:52 PM
I can't seem to finish this one. I didn't mind the slow start, but I find it just doesn't keep me interested enough to care. And I'm a huge King fan too.

tammieofmi
08-15-2007, 05:56 PM
Okay I know there have been a few that have said they've had a hard time getting thru this - me included.

But for those who have finished it, whats your thoughts?

I have finished it but I've never "skimmed" sentences, paragraphs, like I did in this one.

At some points I thought it was just plain nerve wracking to read - was that on purpose or just me?

Soooooo very disappointed - not about the story persay but the lay out of it. Many times I'd skip only to find sentences that basically repeated something 5 paragraphs earlier?

What the heck! Tell me what you thought.

Siddow
08-15-2007, 07:03 PM
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45330&highlight=lisey%27s+story

Mods, might want to merge these.