Lisey's Story: Stephen King

MyFirstMystery

Having Fun with Words
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

Stephen King is giving a lecture tonight in Seattle as part of his book tour for Lisey's story and I'm excited to be going. I just finished the book and found it to be odd, often annoying, and also in some ways very good.

Wondering what others thought about the book.

MFM

WriterInChains

Feed my eyes
Registered
Reaction score
MyFirstMystery said:
Hi all,

Stephen King is giving a lecture tonight in Seattle as part of his book tour for Lisey's story and I'm excited to be going. I just finished the book and found it to be odd, often annoying, and also in some ways very good.

Wondering what others thought about the book.

MFM

I just finished it & I loved it! Definitely a different feeling to the book than any of his others (except maybe Bag Of Bones, LS reminded me of that one in a way). I fell in love with Scott & Lisey, and the whole Boo'Ya Moon concept. And the writing itself made me want to read slowly; I usually devour his books. LS, compared to most of the new books I've read lately, was the literary equivalent of the difference between Hersey's and Moonstruck; chocolate is good, gourmet chocolate is sublime. I think I'll be re-reading this one sooner rather than later.

I'm curious what you found annoying about it. Because of BIC time & the day job (and well-meaning friends with books I "just have to read") it took me a long time to finish so I haven't read any reviews or threads about it yet. I don't like to be influenced by what others think of a book or movie -- I've been a King fan since the mid-70s & that's influence enough. Maybe Dooley? I can see that, especially if you haven't had experience with "crazy attracts crazy" in r/l. Unfortunately, it really does.

I'm curious about what you thought of the lecture. I saw him in Portland, and heard from some folks who'd been to his appearance in Seattle that it was a zoo (not that the Portland date wasn't :)). I find myself saying, "It's possible" a lot and laughing. But, there's a reason I understand that crazy attracts crazy. ;)

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished reading this last night, polished the whole thing off in three days. Now I wonder how long I'll be saying "mother smucker!" and all the other fabulous sayings King has sprinkled through this book.

I really enjoyed it, and I think that's because I flipped to the back first. No, not the last page, but I read the Author's Statement first. I think that prepared me for the sections that ended mid-statement, and all the other oddities throughout.

What I loved most about it, what I've always loved about King in general, was the voice. To me, this book was perfection on toast points.

Reaction score
I got about 100 pages into it then realised I'd rather watch paint dry.

Begbie

Quite a character
Registered
Reaction score
I finished it for the sake of finishing it, just because I had spent twenty-five bucks on the hard cover. But I came away thinking, "That was a waste of two weeks." Cell had gotten me back into Stephen King; Lisey took me right back out.

pepperlandgirl

American Aquarium Drinker
Registered
Reaction score
I've started it. I'm working through it slowly. What really strikes me is that it's a story about language. The private language of a married couple. Written language. Family code. It's even written as though King wants nothing more than to celebrate as many words as possible. I can see why that would be pretty boring for some (most?) people. Sometimes I find my attention wandering, but still, it's an interesting decision.

tammieofmi

Registered
Reaction score
Website
tammiemcelligott.blogspot.com
It's great to read reviews from folks who liked it. I've started and stopped it 3 times now and it's been sitting on my shelf for weeks. I've gotten thru the first 50 pages and just got frustrated with it.

And I consider myself a huge fan of Kings. By the way, it would be thrilling to hear him lecture, how was it?

I agree with an earlier post who said they enjoyed Cell which sort of brought them back, I liked that one to and was just frustrated that I couldn't seem to stick with LS.

The reference to Bag of Bones (which I thought was one of his most emotional books) and the reviews of those who liked it have me thinking I should go for try number 4 and see what happens.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I forced myself to read it as it was a present. I won't read it again which never happens for me with King.

The language was too cute for my taste; I wanted to smack Scott, and if I ever hear smuck or bool in real life, I may have to hurt myself.

Last edited:

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
I can't seem to finish this one. I didn't mind the slow start, but I find it just doesn't keep me interested enough to care. And I'm a huge King fan too.

tammieofmi

Registered
Reaction score
Website
tammiemcelligott.blogspot.com
Lisey's Story

Okay I know there have been a few that have said they've had a hard time getting thru this - me included.

But for those who have finished it, whats your thoughts?

I have finished it but I've never "skimmed" sentences, paragraphs, like I did in this one.

At some points I thought it was just plain nerve wracking to read - was that on purpose or just me?

Soooooo very disappointed - not about the story persay but the lay out of it. Many times I'd skip only to find sentences that basically repeated something 5 paragraphs earlier?

What the heck! Tell me what you thought.