The most important person in your life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Misty_Blue

Registered
Reaction score
OKAY Pls god don't be duplicating this thread on me here!! Ok..

I wonder who you think is the MOST important or meaningful person in your life is; and why?

I ask because I recently found out about the death of an old friend (not a close friend as such, but he was a young man who died in a tragic accident last week leaving his mother behind (who is in a wheelchair and his only living relative ). This saddened me and got me thinking about our loved ones and how important they are..

As for me, I would have to say my 'second' husband.. Because he adores all my imperfections and character flaws as well the good bits :) and is the most gentle, understanding character I have ever met.

After seven years living together and our 1st wedding anniversary on Friday, I am still filled up with love when he walks through the door each evening from work and I cant imagine any kind of life without him. (I met him on the internet by the way and he moved across a continent to be with me, so whoever says internet love doesnt work, well I am living proof!)

So buy your most cherished loved one a bunch of :e2flowers and give them a big hug and kiss today, because the friend I mentioned above never got the chance to say goodbye to his mom!

karenmary

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lynch.st
Misty_Blue said:
I wonder who you think is the MOST important or meaningful person in your life is; and why?

I have three kids, so I can't choose just one of them, though they matter more to me than anyone else. I have a great husband, and he's my number one companion, but he's not the most meaningful ...

The honor of being the 'Most Meaningful' person in my life goes to my mother. Now that I am a mother myself, I realize how much of herself she gave to me when I was a child, and the self-sacrificing role she took in my life is unsurpassable. She is my rock, the one I think of when I am afraid, the one I turn to when I need to be consoled, the one I run to when I am excited.

Yup. My mom. God bless my mom.

KML

cree

Registered
Reaction score
I think this is a changing thing....

As a kid, my mom was.
As an adult with no kids, my hubby was.
As an adult with kids, kids are.
And I think when the kids grow up and move on, my hubby will be again.

No one's value is higher than another, but the day-to-day importance shifts.

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
I can't (and won't) live without my 9 year old daughter, who is my soulmate.

My husband is wonderful and I seriously would not want to even think about losing him.

Everyone else, I've already lost.

Southern_girl29

Registered
Reaction score
To me, meaningful and important are two different things. Meaningful for me means they have changed my life in some aspect in a better way.

I have two of those. My three year old daughter and my granny.

I grew up living with my granny. My mother wasn't married when I was born, which wasn't nearly as accepted as it is now, especially not in a small town in the South. My granny didn't bat an eye, took us in and helped my momma raise us. I know that I would not be where I am today if it wasn't for her.

My daughter changed my life in so many ways. I had drifted away from my family, didn't see them as often, etc., and when she was born, I found them again. I had post-partum depression after her birth, but she was the main reason I got out of bed in the morning. She makes me see the fun side of life again and allows me to be silly, because I tend to run on the serious side.

As for important, I can't pick a most important person. My husband is there, along with my daughter.

Godfather

back door man
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
hmmm... there's my mother, and then there's my cousin.

but nowadays, i dunno, i don't really turn to anybody, or talk to anybody about my problems anymore. nobodies interested. i know my mother would like to listen but if i got a problem, i try figure it out for myself.

if music was a person, or art collectively... then. yeah, maybe. if i were deaf, i'd be dead. hmmm.... spin-off thread coming up

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
Moms like to listen even if you don't have a problem. Moms are happy just to discuss the crunchy cheese doodle vs. puffy cheese doodle dilemma. My Mom's great.

Reaction score
The most important person in my life is me. I'm no good to anyone unless I take care of myself.

As for need...I don't like it when people say they 'need' their kids or spouse or whoever. Seems clingy. I know for a fact I don't 'need' anyone.

I might want them, or enjoy their company, but need? Nope. The people in my life are there because I like them and they like me, not any sort of mutual dependancy.

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
C.bronco said:
Moms like to listen even if you don't have a problem. Moms are happy just to discuss the crunchy cheese doodle vs. puffy cheese doodle dilemma.

Ditto. Moms like to hear about everything.

And if you talk about the little stuff, it's easier when you need to talk about the big stuff.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Besides my mother, my best friend Cheryl. We've been the best of friends for almost twenty years and have seen each other though some good times, and some very bad times (one of my own making). Neither of us have ever let the other one down.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My parents--both Mom and Dad are great. My kids--my world pretty much revolves around them.

wordmonkey

ook
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writingmonkey.com
Who: A three way tie between my kids.
Why: They're my kids. They are the source of greatest joy and pain and pride and stress in my life and I wouldn't change anything.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
My children are my very breath. My husband's okay too.

TsukiRyoko

Forced into cell phone life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tsuki-explodes.blogspot.com
As awfully dickheaded as it is to say this, I recently found out that many of the people I once thought I cherished were very disposable. (insert your "boo"s here), I guess this mean that I gotta pick up the search and try to find someone that important to me.

If I were to pick someone right now who I'd have a terrible time living without, it'd have to be my big, red, fluffy dog, Sara. Even though I've temporarily picked up and kind of moved away from my family for the time being, I took the dog with me. :D I just couldn't see myself travelling around without her.

We're currently on a quest to find the Spring of Immortality, to avoid the whole "losing her" thing. She brought up the idea (she speaks flawless English when I'm the only one in the room. :tongue ).

CBeasy

I'm back baby!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
This is a difficult one, I'd admit. If the most important person means the person who has, and continues to help me the most, that would have to be my mom. My whole life we've been close, and she's always been there for me. My father's pretty important as well, though I don't see him as much nowadays. If we're talking about the person who is my closest companion, it would be my best friend. He's, to steal a line from a movie, my "hetero-lifemate". We were basically the smartest people at our school, but also the most angsty and cynical. Thus, we started hanging out to discuss how much everyone sucked (oh, to be teenagers again). Now, we've been friends for years, and we totally think alike. Apart, one of us is pretty damn charming. Together, we can hold a whole room rapt with attention. Ok, that might be a bit narcissistic, but we're pretty damn good. We can have a totally private conversation in a room full people with just a few choice words and phrases. He's the only person in my life, outside of my family that I actually miss when he's not around. Don't get my wrong, I'm crazy about my girl, but I've just become too jaded in my short life to get that close her.

Reaction score
eldragon said:
I can't (and won't) live without my 9 year old daughter, who is my soulmate.

No offense, but that's kinda weird to me. Creepy almost. IMO. But I don't have children, so...

:Shrug:

________

For fear of there being an afterlife and the ability of everyone I know to see everything I've done, I will not answer this question, because I don't want to offend anyone.

Thank you.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
billythrilly7th said:
No offense, but that's kinda weird to me. Creepy almost. IMO. But I don't have children, so...

:Shrug:

________

For fear of there being an afterlife and the ability of everyone I know to see everything I've done, I will not answer this question, because I don't want to offend anyone.

Thank you.
Actually it's not so weird. My son 15 y.o. son Ryan is like my soul mate. He's a great kid and if anything ever happened to him I'd want to die. But I'm a parent and all my children are special to me.

So it's not weird. I find the statement very warm and the bond between them must be very strong.

P.S. Kid is a really great kid imho.

Mandy-Jane

venturing ever further into the unknown
Registered
Reaction score
I will complete a play this year! I will!
cree said:
I think this is a changing thing....

As a kid, my mom was.
As an adult with no kids, my hubby was.
As an adult with kids, kids are.
And I think when the kids grow up and move on, my hubby will be again.

No one's value is higher than another, but the day-to-day importance shifts.

I so, so, so agree with that.

I also agree with eldragon and Spooky. My oldest daughter is 5 and she is definitely my soulmate. She's me. It's amazing. I love both of my girls, but I would swear on a stack of bibles that she and I have this amazing connection that I just can't explain.

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
The most important person in my life hands down is my hubby howie since it's only him and me. We don't have kids, by choice. We really depend on each other. The second most important I'll say are my friends here at AW.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
Ol' Boy. I've said it before and I'll say it again: even after 28 years, I still look forward to hearing his footsteps in the kitchen when he comes in from work every night.

I do not look forward to the time when I won't hear them - either because he's gone, or I am. We will not do well, one without the other.

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I liked Southerngirl's take on this:

To me, meaningful and important are two different things. Meaningful for me means they have changed my life in some aspect in a better way.

Most important would have to be my husband. Concerning who has had the most impact on my life, I'd have to say the woman who was my counselor years ago when I needed it, and who is still a spiritual mentor to me. We have an incredible rapport, and we've had an incredible history together. Words can only begin to scratch the surface of what she means in my life.

Status
Not open for further replies.