PDA

View Full Version : Bob Barker is retiring

BottomlessCup
11-01-2006, 06:05 AM
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/tv/1401AP_TV_Bob_Barker_Retires.html

I'm not sure why, but this makes me very sad.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
11-01-2006, 06:07 AM
Oh. My. God.

My sister and my niece will be in mourning now for sure.

billythrilly7th
11-01-2006, 06:18 AM
I'm not sure why

'Cause he's like a thousand?

I'm sad too.
:(

Is there a more tense moment in television then when the cliffhanger guy nears the summit and shows no signs of slowing down? I think not.

http://www.mobliss.com/_img/game/detail/cliffhanger_150x200.gif

Perks
11-01-2006, 06:21 AM
Bob Barker is retiring Bob Barker is a mummy. He's not retiring as much as he's going on exhibit. I hope to last as log...

Southern_girl29
11-01-2006, 09:16 AM
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/tv/1401AP_TV_Bob_Barker_Retires.html

I'm not sure why, but this makes me very sad.

I read this story on the wire at work today, and I have to admit I had tears in my eyes. I think it's because I used to watch the Price is Right every day with my granny, and she's not doing so well. Either that, or I'm just a sentimental blob.

September skies
11-01-2006, 09:40 AM
Sorry guys. I loved it too at one time.
I always watched and I always loved Price is Right until I went on the show .....and no, it had nothing to do with not being picked. I was just heartbroken to see him being so mean when they were off the air. He cussed and yelled and downright had several fits, while everyone scrambled around him trying to please him. Then they would start the countdown to go back on, and he'd give this big smile and continue so sweet and nice.... it was disturbing to me.
I came home and still watched the show, but something inside me had died. It just wasn't the same anymore.

billythrilly7th
11-01-2006, 03:01 PM
Everytime I faked being sick and got to stay home from school, the high point of the day was 11:00 AM NY time when Price is Right would come on.

The low point being at dinner when I forgot I was supposed to be sick and I'm joking around or something and my mom would say....

"I see you're feeling better."

And she'd throw in a...

:rolleyes:

Sorry, mom....had a social studies quiz that I didn't study for because of the Islander overtime game.

:Shrug:

billythrilly7th
11-01-2006, 03:32 PM
Everytime I faked being sick and got to stay home from school, the high point of the day was 11:00 AM NY time when Price is Right would come on.

The low point being at dinner when I forgot I was supposed to be sick and I'm joking around or something and my mom would say....

"I see you're feeling better."

And she'd throw in a...

:rolleyes:

Sorry, mom....had a social studies quiz that I didn't study for because of the Islander overtime game.

:Shrug:

billythrilly7th
11-01-2006, 03:33 PM
Feel free to rep me on both posts.

Thank you.

Drunk Thrilly

Ol' Fashioned Girl
11-01-2006, 03:52 PM
He cussed and yelled and downright had several fits, while everyone scrambled around him trying to please him. Then they would start the countdown to go back on, and he'd give this big smile and continue so sweet and nice.... it was disturbing to me.

Wasn't he sued for sexual harrassment by some of the women who worked the show with him several years ago?

ETA: He was - but the suits were either dismissed by the courts or settled out of court.

billythrilly7th
11-01-2006, 04:06 PM
This must be like what it felt like for older people when Ed Sullivan, Chuck Woolery, and The Smothers Brothers, god rest their souls, hung it up.

Time is marching on, people.

Before you know it, all your favorites will be gone.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
11-01-2006, 04:09 PM
It's okay, Billy. Time's workin' on you and your favorites, too, even as we type.

billythrilly7th
11-01-2006, 04:28 PM
Phyllis Diller!

She will never die.

The last two people on earth after the apocolypse will be Phyllis Diller and Abe Vigoda.

You heard it here first.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
11-01-2006, 04:33 PM
I thought Phyllis Diller was Abe Vigoda.

NeuroFizz
11-01-2006, 05:51 PM
Barker can still kick Happy's a$$.

ChaosTitan
11-01-2006, 05:59 PM
Sorry guys. I loved it too at one time.
I always watched and I always loved Price is Right until I went on the show .....and no, it had nothing to do with not being picked. I was just heartbroken to see him being so mean when they were off the air. He cussed and yelled and downright had several fits, while everyone scrambled around him trying to please him. Then they would start the countdown to go back on, and he'd give this big smile and continue so sweet and nice.... it was disturbing to me.
I came home and still watched the show, but something inside me had died. It just wasn't the same anymore.

That's terrible, SS! I was on the show once back in 2001 while attending a semester of school in Los Angeles. My roommate (who was sitting right next to me) actually made it up into Contestant's Row and on stage to play a game (!!!), so was on TV for about three seconds the day it aired.

It's odd, though, because during the commercial breaks, Bob was genial and funny. He cracked jokes and talked to the audience members, and was generally a nice guy.

I wonder if I saw him on a good day. :Shrug:

astonwest
11-02-2006, 03:42 AM
I wonder if I saw him on a good day. :Shrug:
Maybe his vet mistakenly thought Bob was the one getting neutered around the time SS saw him...

eldragon
11-02-2006, 03:46 AM
Because I am a reserved personality, the thought of being on The Price is Right is just about my personal nightmare.

If someone told me to jump up and down and scream, I'd die of a heart attack. (Or at least start bawling.)

CBeasy
11-02-2006, 05:55 AM
I used to watch The Price is Right with my mom everyday at lunchtime with my mother before I was old enough to go to school. Bob Barker is one of the few constants in my life! What am I going to do!?

SpookyWriter
11-02-2006, 06:00 AM
I used to watch The Price is Right with my mom everyday at lunchtime with my mother before I was old enough to go to school. Bob Barker is one of the few constants in my life! What am I going to do!?I know your pain. I used to watch him while stationed overseas in Okinawa. His retirement marks the end of a golden age of television for me and millions of others.

:cry:

allion
11-04-2006, 09:28 AM
I grew up with Bob and the Price is Right at 11 am. When I'm off work, it is still a highlight to watch the show. I never liked the cliffhanger game, though. The little guy always seemed to vault off the mountain when I saw it. Love Plinko.

Yeah, I know, silly things make me happy. Bob is an institution. I remember the hoo-haa when he stopped dyeing his hair.

I will miss him. And New Year's Eve is not the same without Dick Clark. I hear he's going to do the show this year.

Karen

writerterri
11-04-2006, 12:01 PM
I was on the Price Is Right. I was top winner in the Showcase Showdown. But I lost my butt. I did win 2 guitars though. He looks much different in person. He's three days older than dirt and taller than he looks on TV.

Good for him!