Not open for further replies.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Okay, I'm reworking my personal schedule and trying to figure out which task I should do first thing in the a.m.: writing or exercise. I don't have enough time before work to do both. On the one hand, exercise keeps me healthy enough to tackle writing and other projects. On the other hand, writing first thing in the morning is a great way to keep the flow going.

So, which would you pick and why?

Scarlett_156

asdf
Registered
Reaction score
I don't have any conflict in that department because my dogs force me to exercise at least once a day whether I feel like it or not. If I spend too much time writing (or, heh, WORKING) they will be patient for the first few hours (unless I've given them too much broth to drink) and then start to bother me until I take them out. Of course, getting a dog is not a practical solution for many. I can't say that it has been practical for me-- and yet nevertheless I haven't shot them all yet. Carrying those 50 pound sacks of dog food home from the feed store is also, I've found, great exercise, but it makes my fingers too sore for typing sometimes.

Freckles

Oooh, the Rainbow Connection
Registered
Reaction score
I choose writing, though I really should choose the other. I suppose it's just because I like writing a heck of a lot more! Maybe we could write about exercise and kill 2 birds with one stone?

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
I choose exercise first because I have a dog. It's not fair for her to go without adequate exercise.

In your shoes, it depends what your family life is like and how disciplined you are, and also when you can write better.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For me, the decision would be whether if I chose A for my mornings, I'd still do B later in the day. In my case, if I do not use my available energy when I have it to exercise, I won't exercise later. I'll be too tired and that will count as a perfectly valid excuse. However, I won't be too tired to write, especially not when something's itching to make its way from brain to page.

Other factors to weigh besides whether you really will exercise later is whether your writing quality or your creativity suffer by being deferred until later, when you're not as well-rested. I write my best mid-day (whether I exercised before then or not), and my very worst in the evening, because I'm tired. If you see such a pattern in your work, act accordingly.

Maryn, who also can't write well until she's received coffee intravenously

sdarb

You want me to write what?
Registered
Reaction score
Since I've only been at the real freelance thing for about a month I don't think I can give much advice. I get up, fix my coffee and pad back to the office to emerge hours later. I've learned a couple of things about working from home. First of all, hygiene seems to come second to anything. I have a work at home friend who now calls me in the afternoon to see if I've had my shower. One afternoon I looked in the mirror to see Maxine, of the Hallmark card fame, staring back at me - complete with robe and coffee cup. And, who has time to eat???? I found my poor husband eating tuna fish out of a can one Saturday - I had totally forgotten it was lunch time...poor baby

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Thanks for all of the responses! I live by myself, so other family obligations aren't an issue.

I think I'm going to exercise in the a.m. and write later in the day. My writing quality/quantity doesn't seem to have any pattern (I can write anytime, anyplace, thank goodness). Exericse is one of those things that I don't enjoy nearly as much as writing -- like Maryn, I won't do it if I'm tired after the workday. Added perk I hadn't thought of earlier: I only have to shower once a day if I exercise in the morning.

Thanks again to all of you for your responses!

Last edited:

janetbellinger

Registered
Reaction score
Writing, because exercise, when I actually do it, works better for me when my muscles are already warmed up. First thing in the morning, I can't stretch as much as I can later on. Besides, I am at my writing best first thing in the morning .

Tracy

Registered
Reaction score
When I walk in the mornings I often 'write' at the same time. Not literally of course, but I rehearse characters' conversations (get some strange looks, natch, but one must suffer for one's art, mustn't one?) and brainstorm ideas. It's good because I don't feel I'm wasting writing time, and it makes the walking a bit more interesting. Also because I'm walking the ideas seem a bit more freeform - I've come up with some good stuff that way.
Also, often if I'm stuck in my writing, if I don't do any EFT to help, a walk can be the nudge I need.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Tracy, I do the same thing, mentally 'write' while I walk. Just remember that cars, roller bladers, and bike riders can't tell your head is a thousand miles (or years) distant. I've found it safer to drive to a walking site where I'm safe from cars and only collide with other people once a year or so.

Maryn, built low to the ground, so the other person tends to go down harder

Cat Scratch

The Peacock Next Door
Registered
Reaction score
I prefer writing first thing. My mind isn't cluttered with To Do List kinds of thoughts, and there is still a dream-like state to my train of thought that lets me write more freely than other times.

I also find a good work-out after a long day can help ease tension before dinner or bed.

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
I exercise as soon as I get Son on the schoolbus. Otherwise I'd never get it done! And I write better later in the day. In the morning I just want to crawl back in bed. (I am *not* a morning person!)

SeanDSchaffer

MeowGirl said:
Okay, I'm reworking my personal schedule and trying to figure out which task I should do first thing in the a.m.: writing or exercise. I don't have enough time before work to do both. On the one hand, exercise keeps me healthy enough to tackle writing and other projects. On the other hand, writing first thing in the morning is a great way to keep the flow going.

So, which would you pick and why?

I would pick exercise, simply because when I first wake up, I am in no condition to be writing. I have to have at least three cups of coffee, one Lucky Strike, and a walk around the block after sunrise (bad neighborhood) to get myself into proper working order. I usually start writing later in the day, after I have sufficiently awakened from my previous evening's slumber.

janetbellinger

Registered
Reaction score
I love doing yoga at night, after I've finished writing. I think it doesn't matter what time of day you write. I write whenever I am able to get together the inspiration, self discipline or both, regardless of the time of day. Yesterday I wrote morning, afternoon and evening. Other days I don't get anything written at all.

Planet Revels

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andrewrevels.com
I get enough excercise all day AT work...My mornings are for relaxing. I lay in bed with my fiancee and just talk for about an hour. At work I move constantly, so I get alot of exercise there. While I'm running around at work....I come up with alot of writing ideas. When I get home from work, I write my ideas down and if I'm in the mood, I start writing them. Usually I do my writing before I go to bed.

Moonfish

Registered
Reaction score
I try to always write first thing in the morning. If I postpone it, the chores of the day take up my attention and energy.

And I never ever exercise so there's no dilemma...

TrainofThought

A flowering bud of bitchiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authordenisebaer.com
MeowGirl said:
Thanks for all of the responses! I live by myself, so other family obligations aren't an issue.

I think I'm going to exercise in the a.m. and write later in the day. My writing quality/quantity doesn't seem to have any pattern (I can write anytime, anyplace, thank goodness). Exericse is one of those things that I don't enjoy nearly as much as writing -- like Maryn, I won't do it if I'm tired after the workday. Added perk I hadn't thought of earlier: I only have to shower once a day if I exercise in the morning.

Thanks again to all of you for your responses!
Adding to the responses, I can’t write in the morning. My mind seems to pick up speed in the evening. I get up at 5:00 AM, workout for an hour and get ready for work. This way, when I come home, I have time for laundry, grocery shopping, etc. and then fit in writing and AW.

It works and I’m feeling the results. YEAH!!!

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
janetbellinger said:
Writing, because exercise, when I actually do it, works better for me when my muscles are already warmed up. First thing in the morning, I can't stretch as much as I can later on. Besides, I am at my writing best first thing in the morning .

What Janet said :) .

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I DID pick writing. I have tried in the past some kind of exercise regime. Had to give it up. I walk my dog in a conservation area for about an hour each day...we walk for miles. That's all the exercise I need. I tried other forms, but I can't keep on weight. I'm 6' 3" and weigh...at the best of times...160-165lbs. If I exercise, that drops dramatically.

I have always been aware that my synapses are on fire in the morning. I write for about an hour when I wake up in the morning. It's my most productive period of the day.

Arisa81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
pacificpurple.blogspot.com
I can only speak for myself, I would write in the morning, exercise at night. I hate working out and my fiance does it in the evening and I do it along with him. If it were just me I would never do it!

But I do my best writing in the evenings, so I actually have to make time for both some nights. I don't have kids so that's not too hard.

If you have time for one or the other in the morning/evening, working out does get the blood flowing and the mind going.

engmajor2005

Registered
Reaction score
If the choice is writing or excercising, I choose writing every time. Then again, I'm not a full-time professional writer (notice the use of the word "professional") and I pay the bills with my eight-hour-a-day job. When I am a professional writer, then I'm sure I'll find an hour a day to excercise.

As it stands now, I get maybe three hours a week of excercise. Most of the time when I have moment to spare and I'm not writing, I actually *gasp* relax. I find no pleasure in excercising you see; I view it as a chore.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
If I have a project (ie a novel to write) I get up at 4 am to write it. It's the only time I have. I write till 7, then do normal stuff which might include Yoga and/or walking the dog, depending on which country I'm in.

Status
Not open for further replies.