eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
We live in a strange land.

Last winter, we buried a dead snake over by our back pond, and the next day, it was dug up and gone.

Yesterday, I found Winnie dead on the bottom of the cage. She was a rescued feeder rat who pooped everytime someone tried to pick her up. (She spent two years in a cage...running on a wheel for exercise.)

I buried her out by the woods, in a grave about a foot deep. I tamped the dirt down so that my 9 year old wouldn't be able to tell where the grave was. (She's curious, perhaps she'll be a scientist.)

Today the dead rat is gone. Someone done ate her.

Who would do this?

An armadillo?
A raccoon?
An Opposum?
Or, something else?

oarsman

Salt water is the cure
Registered
Reaction score
Did you see any tracks or scratching marks? It might be a skunk. They have powerful front claws and are excellent at digging. They like to eat small rodents and insects. I am not sure if they would eat a snake.

ETA: Yes, I found out they will eat snakes too.

Last edited:

cree

Registered
Reaction score
I have no guesses; the thread title was just too compelling not to stop in...:)

Vincent

Cheers
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
You might have a zombie problem.

eldragon

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
oarsman said:
Did you see any tracks or scratching marks? It might be a skunk. They have powerful front claws and are excellent at digging. They like to eat small rodents and insects. I am not sure if they would eat a snake.

ETA: Yes, I found out they will eat snakes too.

Yes, there were some serious scratch marks. We do have skunks, although I've never seen one, we have their smell around the house quite often. In fact, just two nights ago I smelled skunk spray.

It's amazing to me that any animal would be able to smell a dead rat buried 6 inches in the ground.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Do you have coyotes where you live?

Badgers?

Budding sociopaths, perhaps?

eldragon

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
MidnightMuse said:
Do you have coyotes where you live?

Badgers?

Budding sociopaths, perhaps?

We might have coyotes, but I don't think they would come in our yard. We have a Great Pyranees dog kenneled pretty close to where the rat was buried, plus a mixed breed dog who stays on our carport at night.

Our Great Pyr barks all night long, keeping predators like coyotes away. Apparently he doesn't scare raccoons, which I'm grateful for, because just yesterday I found one of Luckys empty catfood cans by a fence that runs right by my dogs kennel. Apparently a hungry raccoon still helps himself to our trash cans despite two barking dogs.

No badgers.

I went and looked at the tracks, it's probably a skunk.

Del

Sky isn't falling, ground is rising
Registered
Reaction score
In a hole in the dark in a cold cold place
It would take desperation to dig a foot after a lunch as small as a dead rat. I don't know if it could be sensed through a foot of earth.

Maybe you buried it over someone's stash. There is a dog running about thinking who changed my bone into a dead rat.

Or, I don't know. Do you live near Spooky?

bluegrassandyb

Registered
Reaction score
As an unabashed hillbilly (sadly misplaced in the land of ice and snow) I take offense to that remark. We don't eat buried animals, it's too hard to clean them properly. Road kill is an entirely different matter.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
September skies said:
LOL - and i was going to say Haggis did it. Dogs do dig things up all the time, and anyway, I mean, look at him, you can't tell if he's a dog or a rat.
:wag:

oarsman

Salt water is the cure
Registered
Reaction score
eldragon said:
It's amazing to me that any animal would be able to smell a dead rat buried 6 inches in the ground.

Skunks have a strong sense of smell and can find insects and mice just under the surface. I think it comes from being so close to the ground and having to rely on the ground for food. Skunks usually leave a cone-shape hole when they dig.

If you bury another rat, maybe you should try covering it with some mothballs before burying it. It would either hide the scent or attract all kinds of animals (and rednecks) to the spot.

eldragon

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
Delarege said:
It would take desperation to dig a foot after a lunch as small as a dead rat. I don't know if it could be sensed through a foot of earth.

Maybe you buried it over someone's stash. There is a dog running about thinking who changed my bone into a dead rat.

Or, I don't know. Do you live near Spooky?

Well, Winnie weighed at least 8 pounds. She was a well-fed, fat rat who stopped exercising about a year ago. She would be worth the dig, if you liked to eat dead rat flesh, that is.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
eldragon said:
...if you liked to eat dead rat flesh, that is.

Tonight, on Iron Chef America, it's Bobby Flay vs Billy-Bob. And tonight's secret ingredient is . . .

Dead Rat Flesh!

Let the Battle Begin!

Vincent

Cheers
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
eldragon said:

No, half a foot isn't deep at all. Remember, the police use dogs to find bodies a number of feet under the ground.