PDA

View Full Version : Where Would You Go to Write?

cree
10-30-2006, 08:48 PM
The Most Overrated Tourist Destinations thread made me wonder.....

What destinations make you pause and think to yourself: THIS is a killer place to write my novel?

I travel to write my novels, mostly to get my head in the game and escape real-life responsibilities. I look for places that have the right atmosphere and energy for me to sit down and write. Right now I include Kingston, ONT., NYC, and a little tourist trap town called Ogunquit, Maine as my writing destinations. (Someday I'll be able to regularly afford the Caribbean, maybe!)

Lots of authors do this; Annie Proulx chose Newfoundland, countless writers have chosen Paris or NYC as their writing playland...

What cities/towns/countries have the right energy to get your artistic blood flowing?

bookgeek
10-30-2006, 08:57 PM
Key West, FL. That place puts the F in fun! Plus, you can channel Ernest Hemingway and be quick and to the point with your work.

Although all the rum consumption might muck you up and cause you do to some crazy things, like breed cats with 6 toes. Or something.

...oh what the hell! You only live once! I say: Key West. Key West for me, please.

MidnightMuse
10-30-2006, 08:59 PM
Ganymede. Best lattes, and loads of peace and quiet. The tourist hit Io and Titan, but they're Jupiter's party moons, too much noise.

Serenity
10-30-2006, 09:06 PM
To write? I actually prefer my little computer desk in my apartment. I get too distracted elsewhere.

Now, to plot is a different story. Get me anywhere with scenery. I am a daydreamer from way back. A quiet beach with waves crashing on the shore, a mountainside cabin with a campfire burning and trees with multi-colored leaves everywhere, a spot by a lake or a waterfall.

Those are the places that inspire me. But if I actually tried to write there, I'd never get anything done.

limitedtimeauthor
10-30-2006, 10:43 PM
Oooooh! I wish I could tell you!!!

It's the most beautiful spot in all the earth, but little-known. And my relatives live there and they don't want anyone to know.

Well, there are probably more beautiful spots somewhere in the earth, but this is my spot.

Mine, all mine! :tongue

RG570
10-30-2006, 10:45 PM
I don't really need a special place to write. But if I could take off and write another novel, I'd do it in Yellowknife or Greenland.

aadams73
10-30-2006, 11:03 PM
A small village in Greece or Italy.

PeeDee
10-30-2006, 11:07 PM
Doesn't matter to me. Take me with you when you go somewhere cool and dont' mind when I eventually stop talking and start scribbling, I'll be happy.

TrainofThought
10-30-2006, 11:43 PM
Somewhere quiet, away from the city like Vermont, even though I have never been there.

My second place is Rome in front of the Trevi Fountain at 2:00 AM, or on the Spanish Steps, or in the Chianti bar near the Trevi Fountain.

I pretty much need a vacation.

Carrie in PA
10-30-2006, 11:47 PM
To actually sit down and write? Probably anywhere with pretty scenery. Outside my window I have woods, and right now they are all the most beautiful shades of oranges, reds and yellows. When the leaves are all gone, I watch the birds and squirrels.

For all the stuff besides BIC? Anywhere!

TrainofThought
10-30-2006, 11:50 PM
To actually sit down and write? Probably anywhere with pretty scenery. Outside my window I have woods, and right now they are all the most beautiful shades of oranges, reds and yellows. When the leaves are all gone, I watch the birds and squirrels. Can I come over? I love watching nature it is so calming.

Freckles
10-30-2006, 11:55 PM
I have the most productive writing sessions at my old university library, ironically. I think it reminds me of happy times or something.

sammyig
10-31-2006, 12:21 AM
I would rent a castle in the Carpathian Mountains so that I could be inspired by the vampire legends in the land of Dracula.

Jaycinth
10-31-2006, 12:21 AM
My most productive place was my desk at my old job. There was a 'dead' period between 9 am and 10:30 am when nobody ever bothered my. I couldn't leave the desk and I had no work to do until the drivers left at 10:30, so I wrote, and it was good, and quiet and nice.

I can write at home but the kids bother me. Every time they do, I hand out a chore...but once the concentration is broken, well...you know.

When I need to really buckle under these days I go to my friends house in the mountains or I go here:
www.brendasbeachcottage.com (http://www.brendasbeachcottage.com)

Really!!!! I know the owner and it is totally quiet in the winter. Very conducive to writing. Very. If you ignore the great sports bar 3 blocks up the road, and the tax free shopping in Delaware......

kristie911
10-31-2006, 02:48 AM
The energy of the Rocky Mountains always makes it easy for me to write. I prefer the area around Colorado Springs the most but Boulder, Denver, anyplace works for me. Idaho, Montana and Wyoming are other favorites.

stormie
10-31-2006, 05:12 AM
A train. To anywhere. I did my best writing on the auto train to FL. We go to NYC a lot by train, too. You pass by different towns and cities and it just seems there are so many stories to be told. And some of the conversations you hear between riders or people on their cell phones are amazing.

Okay, I have a second favorite place. Here in my home office. The sunrise in the morning is breathtaking, and I can usually hear the fishing boats going out or coming in. Many days I hear the ocean. But that can be a problem on a day like today. Cool and clear and I'd love to play hooky (sp??!).

I can't write at the beach. Don't know why, but it's a place where I'd rather read.

billythrilly7th
10-31-2006, 05:21 AM
The Most Overrated Tourist Destinations thread made me wonder.....

Thank you.

I am nothing if not a thought provoking professional messageboard poster.

______

I would like to write in my home office in Westport CT facing a window that vistas out into a forest.

Or Colorado.

Thank you.

Jongfan
10-31-2006, 06:34 AM
I would have to say Negril, Jamaica. It combines my two favorite things in the world. The mountains as a backdrop to the most beautiful ocean in the world. I am in awe of both and find them inspiring.

cree
10-31-2006, 07:14 AM
I would like to write in my home office in Westport CT facing a window that vistas out into a forest.

There are still forests in connecticut?
I thought they were all cut down to build housing compounds.

Cat Scratch
10-31-2006, 07:16 AM
I write well when I travel. My favorite destination to clear my head and write for a long spell is Glacier National Park, Montana. (Also happens to be where I met my spouse.) My friend has a cabin outside Whitefish, and it's the most peaceful spot in the universe.

TsukiRyoko
10-31-2006, 07:24 AM
It doesn't matter where I write, as long as I'm comfy. Until I got my computer, I was handwriting everything under a tree that was made just for me (the roots fit my butt perfectly).

veinglory
10-31-2006, 07:41 AM
I would go to the Scottish island of Iona, preferably in spring when the orchid and sea pinks are blooming and the Puffins are flying in on thise silly little wings.

Birol
10-31-2006, 07:51 AM
Mountain cabin somewhere isolated or that feels isolated.