dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I worry that the trailer doesn't give us any clue what the hell's going on, and will not put butts in seats.

Not sure.

aghast

Registered
Reaction score
looks really creepy - i think i will actually enjoy this one instead of the lotr knockoff eragon

mdin

The late, the great XThe NavigatorX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mattdinniman.com
aghast said:
looks really creepy - i think i will actually enjoy this one instead of the lotr knockoff eragon

I haven't read Eragon, so I don't really know much about the book, but the trailer makes it look horrendously cheesy.

Sassee

Momma Wolf
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sasseebioche.blogspot.com
Yeah I saw that... I thought it was already out on video? Or maybe I saw it on HBO or something I forget. Screwed up, but very well done. EXCELLENT makeup/effects.

GreenFriend

VIVA Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
GDT (as we love to call Toro) use of color and his love of older obscure mythology is what really gets my pulse going, it's so majestic.

And Mignola likes him, that's enough for me. ;)

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
The same fellow Doug Jones who played Abe the sea creature fellow in Hellboy plays the Pan and the pale eyeless child-eating monster.

GreenFriend

VIVA Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Del Toro stated he really wants Jones to be his Frankenstein. They work great, it's like Burton and Depp.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
No one is allowed to die until they see this movie.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I <3 Pan's Labyrinth.

First he makes Hellboy, which I loved, then he made Pan's Labyrinth, and now he's making Hellboy 2, which basically looks like Hellboy...AND Pan's Labyrinth!

Elodie-Caroline

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
elodie.the.writer.tripod.com
Without reading anyone else's replies first: I bought Pan's Labyrinth when it came out on sale on DVD. I personally love mythology and I also prefer foreign films to Hollywood. But I found P.L a disappointment to be honest. Pan, as a huge blue rabbit did nothing for me but made me roll my eyes and snigger. I know the mythology stuff was her way of dealing with things, but the blue rabbit thing was silly.

Also, the girl getting killed, by her step-father, made me feel robbed in some way. Okay, foreign films aren't like Hollywood ones, where the kid would have never been killed; remember Stephen King's Cujo, the kid died in the book, but they wouldn't let him in the film? It was an adult's film for gawd's sake! But I did feel robbed that the girl died in this.
I did like the part where the girl had gone through the wall and wasn't supposed to touch the food, that was pretty cool. But to be honest, I much preferred The Devil's backbone to this film, it had more atmosphere.

Elodie

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score

There was a blue rabbit?

I don't remember a blue rabbit. The only blue rabbit I can think of was in Donny Darko, which...wasn't my cuppa tea.

Also, it's one of those 'either way' films. Could have been real, could have not been real. Maybe she did go off to the elven court to live in happiness forever. Or maybe that was just her last moment of delusion before death.

Or maybe its both ^_^

Alexruns

Registered
Reaction score
Love this film - it was suprisingly terrorfying - particualy the hand-eyed monster!

Elodie-Caroline

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
The 'thing' that was supposed to be Pan, looked like a blue rabbit to me, whatever it was, it looked, well, silly :)

There was a blue rabbit?

I don't remember a blue rabbit. The only blue rabbit I can think of was in Donny Darko, which...wasn't my cuppa tea.

Also, it's one of those 'either way' films. Could have been real, could have not been real. Maybe she did go off to the elven court to live in happiness forever. Or maybe that was just her last moment of delusion before death.

Or maybe its both ^_^

Elodie-Caroline

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
Hmm, I used to read a lot of mythology when I was very young and I remembered the God, Pan, as being a goat. Anyway, I looked it up on Wiki, just to make sure I had remembered correctly. Apparently, the Faun was the Roman God equivalent, so maybe they should have called the film, 'Faun's Labyrinth' instead, then I wouldn't have been puzzled over the look of Pan? :) It still looked like a rabbit to me though :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_(mythology)

Inkdaub

wrapped in plastic
Registered
Reaction score
Past where the river bends, past where the silo st
Hmm, I used to read a lot of mythology when I was very young and I remembered the God, Pan, as being a goat. Anyway, I looked it up on Wiki, just to make sure I had remembered correctly. Apparently, the Faun was the Roman God equivalent, so maybe they should have called the film, 'Faun's Labyrinth' instead, then I wouldn't have been puzzled over the look of Pan? :) It still looked like a rabbit to me though :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_(mythology)

I think it is called 'Faun's Labyrinth' or maybe 'Labyrinth of the faun' in it's original Spanish. I could be wrong, though.

The Pan of myth was a man from his waist up and a goat from his waist down wasn't he? That's pretty much what a faun is but I'm not sure if Pan himself was ever actually classified as a faun. Another faun is Mr. Tumnus from The Lion, The Witch and thew Wardrobe.