PDA

View Full Version : Pan's Labyrinth

mdin
10-30-2006, 01:07 AM
I just saw it. It's one of the best movies I've ever seen.

http://panslabyrinth.com/

It comes out in wide release in December, I believe.

dclary
10-30-2006, 08:20 AM
I worry that the trailer doesn't give us any clue what the hell's going on, and will not put butts in seats.

Not sure.

ChaosTitan
10-30-2006, 08:03 PM
I tried to watch the online trailer and it crashed my browser. :rant:

mdin
10-30-2006, 08:44 PM
There's one over at http://www.apple.com/trailers/picturehouse/panslabyrinth/

ChaosTitan
10-30-2006, 11:11 PM
:Jaw:
Dude, I am so there!

Wow.

aghast
10-31-2006, 02:30 AM
looks really creepy - i think i will actually enjoy this one instead of the lotr knockoff eragon

mdin
10-31-2006, 09:04 AM
looks really creepy - i think i will actually enjoy this one instead of the lotr knockoff eragon

I haven't read Eragon, so I don't really know much about the book, but the trailer makes it look horrendously cheesy.

maxmordon
07-05-2008, 01:04 AM
I haven't read Eragon, so I don't really know much about the book, but the trailer makes it look horrendously cheesy.

Agreed. Also the Pan's Labyrinth trailer was misleading, but I think it was an amazing film

Sassee
07-05-2008, 01:58 AM
Yeah I saw that... I thought it was already out on video? Or maybe I saw it on HBO or something I forget. Screwed up, but very well done. EXCELLENT makeup/effects.

GreenFriend
07-06-2008, 12:42 AM
GDT (as we love to call Toro) use of color and his love of older obscure mythology is what really gets my pulse going, it's so majestic.

And Mignola likes him, that's enough for me. ;)

Perks
07-06-2008, 01:21 AM
I absolutely loved this film.

HeronW
07-06-2008, 01:44 AM
The same fellow Doug Jones who played Abe the sea creature fellow in Hellboy plays the Pan and the pale eyeless child-eating monster.

GreenFriend
07-06-2008, 10:07 AM
Del Toro stated he really wants Jones to be his Frankenstein. They work great, it's like Burton and Depp.

Inkdaub
07-06-2008, 10:31 AM
Doug Jones was also the Silver Surfer if I remember right.

I love Pan's Labyrinth as well.

Bartholomew
07-06-2008, 10:36 AM
No one is allowed to die until they see this movie.

Zoombie
07-06-2008, 12:09 PM
I <3 Pan's Labyrinth.

First he makes Hellboy, which I loved, then he made Pan's Labyrinth, and now he's making Hellboy 2, which basically looks like Hellboy...AND Pan's Labyrinth!

Faolmor
07-07-2008, 11:34 AM
He's directing the new Hobbit movies, apparently.

Elodie-Caroline
07-07-2008, 11:56 AM
Without reading anyone else's replies first: I bought Pan's Labyrinth when it came out on sale on DVD. I personally love mythology and I also prefer foreign films to Hollywood. But I found P.L a disappointment to be honest. Pan, as a huge blue rabbit did nothing for me but made me roll my eyes and snigger. I know the mythology stuff was her way of dealing with things, but the blue rabbit thing was silly.

Also, the girl getting killed, by her step-father, made me feel robbed in some way. Okay, foreign films aren't like Hollywood ones, where the kid would have never been killed; remember Stephen King's Cujo, the kid died in the book, but they wouldn't let him in the film? It was an adult's film for gawd's sake! But I did feel robbed that the girl died in this.
I did like the part where the girl had gone through the wall and wasn't supposed to touch the food, that was pretty cool. But to be honest, I much preferred The Devil's backbone to this film, it had more atmosphere.

Elodie

Zoombie
07-07-2008, 12:17 PM

There was a blue rabbit?

I don't remember a blue rabbit. The only blue rabbit I can think of was in Donny Darko, which...wasn't my cuppa tea.

Also, it's one of those 'either way' films. Could have been real, could have not been real. Maybe she did go off to the elven court to live in happiness forever. Or maybe that was just her last moment of delusion before death.

Or maybe its both ^_^

Alexruns
07-07-2008, 12:28 PM
Love this film - it was suprisingly terrorfying - particualy the hand-eyed monster!

Elodie-Caroline
07-07-2008, 12:40 PM
The 'thing' that was supposed to be Pan, looked like a blue rabbit to me, whatever it was, it looked, well, silly :)

There was a blue rabbit?

I don't remember a blue rabbit. The only blue rabbit I can think of was in Donny Darko, which...wasn't my cuppa tea.

Also, it's one of those 'either way' films. Could have been real, could have not been real. Maybe she did go off to the elven court to live in happiness forever. Or maybe that was just her last moment of delusion before death.

Or maybe its both ^_^

Inkdaub
07-07-2008, 12:53 PM
Pan was a faun but I get the rabbit reference...haha.

Zoombie
07-07-2008, 01:11 PM
Oh, I loved the faun!

Elodie-Caroline
07-07-2008, 05:11 PM
Hmm, I used to read a lot of mythology when I was very young and I remembered the God, Pan, as being a goat. Anyway, I looked it up on Wiki, just to make sure I had remembered correctly. Apparently, the Faun was the Roman God equivalent, so maybe they should have called the film, 'Faun's Labyrinth' instead, then I wouldn't have been puzzled over the look of Pan? :) It still looked like a rabbit to me though :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_(mythology) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_%28mythology%29)

Inkdaub
07-08-2008, 12:45 PM
Hmm, I used to read a lot of mythology when I was very young and I remembered the God, Pan, as being a goat. Anyway, I looked it up on Wiki, just to make sure I had remembered correctly. Apparently, the Faun was the Roman God equivalent, so maybe they should have called the film, 'Faun's Labyrinth' instead, then I wouldn't have been puzzled over the look of Pan? :) It still looked like a rabbit to me though :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_(mythology) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_%28mythology%29)

I think it is called 'Faun's Labyrinth' or maybe 'Labyrinth of the faun' in it's original Spanish. I could be wrong, though.

The Pan of myth was a man from his waist up and a goat from his waist down wasn't he? That's pretty much what a faun is but I'm not sure if Pan himself was ever actually classified as a faun. Another faun is Mr. Tumnus from The Lion, The Witch and thew Wardrobe.

Elodie-Caroline
07-08-2008, 05:20 PM
Yes, he was a goat from the waist down, and had the cloven hooves etc. If I also remember rightly, he had small goat horns on his head too, and played musical pipes, therefore, Panpipes.
I don't ever remember Pan being classed as a faun though; there again, I was reading Greek mythology in 1972, a very long time ago now LOL.

I've never read/seen, The Lion, The Witch and the wardrobe, I'm afraid, mythology is the nearest I've ever gotten into fantasy reading.

With the mythology vein, don't even get me started on the film, 'Troy.' :D

I think it is called 'Faun's Labyrinth' or maybe 'Labyrinth of the faun' in it's original Spanish. I could be wrong, though.

The Pan of myth was a man from his waist up and a goat from his waist down wasn't he? That's pretty much what a faun is but I'm not sure if Pan himself was ever actually classified as a faun. Another faun is Mr. Tumnus from The Lion, The Witch and thew Wardrobe.

Lyra Jean
07-08-2008, 06:17 PM
I liked how it was left to the viewer whether she actually died or went to the elven kingdom.

Sassee
07-08-2008, 09:07 PM
A rabbit? That thing didn't even remotely resemble a rabbit. I saw curled horns (I'm assuming you thought that was the ears?) and I thought he had the second half of a goat. Anyway, not rabbit like, and it was a fantastic look. Though I immediately thought "satyr" not "faun" but close enough.

The girl dying at the end was unexpected but only because we as a whole have come to expect happy endings. Part of the reason I like this film is that it's so twisted and took a risk going against an established movie staple (the happy-ish ending).

Elodie-Caroline
07-08-2008, 10:08 PM
It didn't remotely resemble a goat either.

Sassee
07-08-2008, 10:58 PM
Ehh... it had hooves, dinnit?

Sarpedon
07-08-2008, 11:35 PM
I agree that its face was somewhat rabbit like.

Thats one thing that bothers me about that film, not the film itself, but the translation.

The subtitles got it right; he says 'I'm a faun.' but the title is inexplicably wrong. He doesn't say 'I'm Pan,' he says 'I'm a frickin' FAUN.'

Man, I hate movie subtitle mistranslations.

I'm going to go and use my pistol for guns.

Zoombie
07-08-2008, 11:41 PM
I think they call it Pan's Laybernth cause...

It sounds cool?

childeroland
07-09-2008, 04:52 AM
The studio or Del Toro thought English-speaking audiences would confuse faun with fawn, though the creature in the film is specifically just some faun, NOT the god Pan.

Elodie-Caroline
07-09-2008, 12:06 PM
To be honest, I can't remember whether it had hooves or not? I bought the dvd and watched it only once, but when I saw this bright blue 'thing,' that was supposed to be a Greek god, I was sort of flabbergasted to say the least. :Jaw:

katiemac
07-09-2008, 12:26 PM

You're right. Pan isn't in the original title.

maestrowork
07-09-2008, 12:40 PM
Yup, the Spanish title is El laberinto del fauno: the Faun's Labyrinth.

oxygentent
02-01-2014, 12:09 AM
I watched this for the first time earlier today. I think I'm in love. Anyone else love this film incredible amounts?

jvc
02-01-2014, 12:22 AM
I watched this for the first time earlier today. I think I'm in love. Anyone else love this film incredible amounts?

I've merged this thread with the existing one. It's worth doing a search before starting a thread to see if one all ready exists on the subject.

And, as for the subject, and your post, do you want to elaborate on why you loved this film incredible amounts?

sara_ash
02-05-2014, 11:52 AM
I just saw the title and I had to comment. Pan's Labyrinth is my favourite movie EVER!!! I love it! I wish more people would see it.

DanLamont
02-05-2014, 12:45 PM
Its an alright movie, I wouldn't go as far to say its the best ever, but it is good.

blacbird
02-05-2014, 12:53 PM
I just saw the title and I had to comment. Pan's Labyrinth is my favourite movie EVER!!! I love it! I wish more people would see it.

A hell of a lot of people have seen it. It got rave reviews, and won three Oscars. It's not exactly unknown.

I consider it very good. I wouldn't make it top of my list Best Film Ever, but it's definitely a significant good film.

caw