High School/College Market

bison

Registered
Reaction score
Have any of you had any experience with your local school districts, colleges and universities for your work?
If so, please share suggestions for contacting (beyond the obvious).
Thanks.

bison

Registered
Reaction score
I guess I'll take this as no one has any experience or no interest in such a market.

We have one of our school discticts that is currently running CATS and using 200 HS students in the production. They will entertain local authors for their lesser productions, even one-acts for work shops etc. I don't know how many high schools are in the district, quite a few, and they all have viable drama departments. And, this is just one district!

I have found the local universities and colleges harder to work with for
some reason.

Cat Scratch

The Peacock Next Door
Registered
Reaction score
I find that schools and universities are more willing to work with new writers if you have some affiliation or association with the school. Particularly with universities--they have budding playwrights of their own who already use their limited resources to workshop and produce their own plays. Bringing in a writer from the community would limit the resources for the tuition-paying students.

High schools and middle schools will often consider a script if it's engineered for their students (i.e. it's set in their area, specifically, with age-appropriate characters).

bison

Registered
Reaction score
Exactally, Cat. The question is, what is "age appropriate". Some of them
have done all sorts of Broadway plays. What they really like, is tons of
characters so they can use all their kids.

Cat Scratch

The Peacock Next Door
Registered
Reaction score
Sure, some schools will put on Our Town so the roles run the gamut from age 8 to 100, but I find they often appreciate a good play with a teenage cast, just because it's relevent to them.

And keep in mind budgets--or rather, lack thereof. If the school in your town is putting on Cats it sounds like they have a ginormous budget, but not all high schools have the money to sink into specific costumes, elaborate sets, and the like.

BottomlessCup

Getting settled
Registered
Reaction score
I wrote a play in high school, which we produced. But I'm not sure that'll help you here. :)

bison

Registered
Reaction score
I didn't see the production (only a picture spread in the newspaper) but it was a district wide endeavor. The coustuming looked pretty potent from the pictures. It is a big district with maybe fifteen or so HS in it.
I'm trying to get to the drama teachers, with little luck. Seems like
everything has to flow through the School Board and trickle down.
Mama told me this was going to be easy.

"I wrote a play in high school, which we produced. But I'm not sure that'll help you here."
Me, too. It ruined my life. I thought I was a star and writing was a piece of cake. I think that's the last time I heard a favorable word!

Last edited:

bison

Registered
Reaction score
"...a ginormous budget"

A light aside.
Cheney came in the Oval Office one morning and said, "Yesterday, two Brazilian soldiers were killed in Iraq."
George yelled, "No, oh, no." and started to weep, laying his head on the desk.
After a beat, he looked up and asked, "Just how many is a brazilian?"