Status
Not open for further replies.

SC Harrison

Dances With Hamsters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
This may amount to nothing, since Serbia has never agreed to Kosovar independence, but their new Constitution may give them the impetus for the hardliners to reassert their claim on this territory:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6090392.stm

Serbs have begun voting in a national referendum on a new constitution which declares the UN-run province of Kosovo an integral part of Serbia.
If accepted, it will be the first constitution of the Serbian state, following the break-up of Yugoslavia.

The draft pre-empts UN-backed talks on the status of Kosovo, which are meant to draft a settlement by the year-end.

About 6.5 million people are entitled to vote in the referendum. But after the first three hours of voting, turnout was only 5%, BBC correspondent Nick Hawton said from Belgrade.

Kosovo Albanians, who make up around 90% of the province's two million population, will not be able to vote as they have not been included on voters lists after boycotting Serbian elections since 1990.

This is shaping up to be a near unsolvable crisis:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/07/24/AR2006072400974.html

The United States and European governments contend that Kosovo's economic and political limbo is unsustainable. They want a settlement this year, which diplomats say would likely bring some form of independence -- with or without Serbian consent.

Serbia "would agree to anything but independence," U.N. chief mediator Martti Ahtisaari said at a news conference after the meeting. Kosovo "would accept nothing but independence."

Kostunica, who says independence would drive Serbian voters into the arms of ultranationalists, said that Serbia "cannot accept the creation of a new state from 15 percent of its territory."

Too late, argued Kosovo negotiator Veton Surroi. "After everything we've been through, it is unrealistic to discuss modalities of autonomy. Kosovo will go its own way."

The United States is pushing hard for a deal in 2006, concerned that delay could spark fresh violence in a territory patrolled by 17,000 NATO soldiers. Russia, a veto holder in the U.N. Security Council and a traditional ally of Serbia, has cautioned against any "artificial timetable."

Reaction score
For the life of me, I still don't know who the bad buys are, the good guys are, where Sarajevo is, what the problem was, who was the problem, etc...

Croatia, Serbia, Hertzcaragovenia, Yugoslavia, etc....

Way too confusing over there.
:Shrug:

Just glad Clinton bombed someone and apparently did some good, especially removing Milosevic.

Best of luck, entire region.

The Thrill

SC Harrison

Dances With Hamsters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
billythrilly7th said:
For the life of me, I still don't know who the bad buys are, the good guys are, where Sarajevo is, what the problem was, who was the problem, etc...

It's fairly complex, but the proliferation of the Muslim faith under the Ottoman Empire around the turn of the century, and the control of greater Yugoslavia after WWII being centered in Serbia are (imo) the two most important factors Leading to this disparity. The following is very rudimentary, but it may help put things in perspective:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/static/map/yugoslavia/

There are definitely a small percentage of bad guys on each side; I only hope that fear amongst the populace doesn't make them viable leaders.

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
SC Harrison said:
There are definitely a small percentage of bad guys on each side; I only hope that fear amongst the populace doesn't make them viable leaders.

yea, cept one side raped and ethnically cleansed the weaker side.

Vincent

Cheers
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Bravo said:
yea, cept one side raped and ethnically cleansed the weaker side.

Both sides have got in on that game. And that's just in Kosovo. In the wider Former Yugoslavia, there are more than two sides, and plenty of bad guys.

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
beezle said:
Both sides have got in on that game. And that's just in Kosovo. In the wider Former Yugoslavia, there are more than two sides, and plenty of bad guys.

"have" is the operative word.

one side had tanks, an established army and an airforce. the otherside had a militia.

after what the serbs did in bosnia, im glad ppl didnt wait and see how long itll take for them to commit full-scale genocide in kosovo.

Vincent

Cheers
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
And now there is no Serbian army in Kosovo, those militia rule the roost, and they've been getting their own back on the native Serb population. A population which, now, barely exists anymore. They've been driven out.

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
yes.

which is why it's important to establish order and security after giving ppl their freedom.

a lesson that can be used for many parts of the world and by many "liberators".

:)

SC Harrison

Dances With Hamsters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
beezle said:
And now there is no Serbian army in Kosovo, those militia rule the roost, and they've been getting their own back on the native Serb population. A population which, now, barely exists anymore. They've been driven out.

This is true, but I believe much of the anger currently directed at that less than 10% will wither if they achieve true independence, and not some nebulous autonomy that results in limited access to economic growth potential.

The Serbian army may be gone, but the wounds are still fresh. As long as Kosovo is considered Serbian territory, many ethnic Albanians fear the U.N. could leave at the drop of a hat, and the tanks might roll back in.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
All I can say is this:

I hope to God someone rebuilds and reopens the Yugo plant, because my car needs service in the worst way.

SC Harrison

Dances With Hamsters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
dclary said:
All I can say is this:

I hope to God someone rebuilds and reopens the Yugo plant, because my car needs service in the worst way.

Not to worry:

http://www.forbes.com/2002/04/23/0423yugo.html

The Zastava Motor Works factory was partially destroyed in 1999 during NATO air strikes against Slobodan Milosevic's regime, but was able to continue to make cars that it sold in the former Yugoslavia. Bricklin says the factory has been rebuilt and the company will be able to supply the U.S. market within a year

and here is their site:

http://www.zastava-yugo.de/

I am so bored..........

Last edited:

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
It must not be too bad over there because my brother-n-law just went for a visit. We're talking to my mother-n-law every single day on the phone (from Belgrade) and nobody ever mentioned a problem.

As long as we can fly in and out and talk on the phone and use the internet to talk to friends, it must be mild.

Status
Not open for further replies.