PDA

View Full Version : Changing of the Guard (Please Read)

JennaGlatzer
10-28-2006, 01:27 PM
Hi folks,

Before I say anything else: I AM NOT LEAVING. :)

That said, I am giving ownership of Absolute Write to MacAllister Stone in a few days.

I have so much love for this place and all the people in it. I'm pretty sure you all know that. You may also suspect that it's a pretty stressful job running this place. I get plenty of hate mail in addition to the "love mail," lawsuit threats from basically everyone who's ever been listed on the Bewares board, really hurtful things I've seen said about me online, etc. That and the ultra-enjoyable tech troubles and random crises that seem to pop up every two weeks or so.

Mac knows about all that stuff, because I talk to her about it when it gets me down. And yet when I asked her if she'd consider taking over AW, her answer-- without a single question or qualification-- was yes. She didn't ask about our earnings, or how much time this will take for her, or what her personal liabilities would be... just "yes." Mac loves this community like I do. She wants what's best for it. And I can't wait to see what she does with it.

She's more technology-minded than I am, so I think you can expect to see some cool updates and improvements-- things like podcasts and RSS feeds. But as far as the tone and style of this forum, I don't think you'll see much change in that at all. There's a real warmth to this place, and Mac has always been one of the people at the heart of that. We share the same philosophies about how this place works best.

As for my involvement here, it's hard to predict. I'm more than halfway through my pregnancy. So far, I'm feeling good, though I get tired easily. I have known from the beginning that I need to cut back on stress, so that's what I'm trying to do. I don't want to worry about putting out a newsletter while I'm having contractions.

My current plan is to stay as active here as usual for about the next month, while Mac transitions into her new role. After that, I'd like to cut back or possibly take a full break. Long term, I'm not sure what my position here will be, but I don't ever plan to leave forever. (Heck, I'd have to send Billy the Enforcer and Tiny Terror after myself.)

I hope you can understand, and I know you'll support Mac as she becomes the new head honcho (honchette?) around here. She's a pretty amazing person, and she's inheriting a fantastic staff (including Charlie and Fahim, who'll remain her co-administrators; and Amy Brozio-Andrews, the managing editor of Absolute Write; in addition to the terrific members of the Mod Squad and all the great people who write for our newsletters).

Thank you for letting me feel that I've done something meaningful for these last 7 years. Most people, if they wanted to stop running their business, could just shut down the business and walk away. I can't do that. You people would riot. And that feels cool. :D I know that Absolute Write has grown a lot bigger than me.

I could go on and on, but I'll just leave it at this:

Thank you. Lots of love to you.

And welcome to your new job, MacAllister. :heart:

alleycat
10-28-2006, 01:51 PM
Best wishes to both you and Mac.

Life is a journey, I hope you both enjoy the ride (that would be on a horse for Mac). :-)

Charles

Wordworm
10-28-2006, 02:44 PM
It's wonderful to be able to move along on your own terms and at the same time ensure that the succession of control and management goes the way it should. Congrats on doing all that so smoothly, Jenna—and as well, on doing the hardest part: envisioning and building Absolute Write in the first place.

Angelinity
10-28-2006, 02:55 PM
wow - seven years is a good chunk of life (and a great renewal cycle as well :) ) i just found this site a short couple of months ago and yeah :D would join the riot should you up and shut it down!

taking time off is the right thing to do of course, with the baby :D (congratulations!) coming -- it will help you find balance and harmony (hm, maybe they're the same thing?).

best wishes!

karenmary
10-28-2006, 05:02 PM

Jenna, best of luck to you. I love that you are doing what is best for you and your baby so congratulations on being so, so brave by handing this over to someone else.

MacAllister, good luck!

KML

Rolling Thunder
10-28-2006, 05:02 PM
Change is natural and in your case, a healthy choice. You might be a little torn about the change for awhile, Jenna, but you'll soon have a much more important 'baby' to care for.

And just drop us a hint about who's being a meany. We'll all gang up on them.

Heh heh heh.........Mac's a fun choice

Ol' Fashioned Girl
10-28-2006, 05:11 PM
We'll have the Absolute best of all possible worlds: you'll still be around, Jenna; Mac will be a wonderful successor and Absolute Write will go on.

What more could we ask? :D

Best to you! Best to Mac! And best to AW.

DeniseK
10-28-2006, 05:31 PM
I envision a time when you come here just to have fun, Jenna. I admire you for all the hard work you've done, with AW and with your writing career, but change is good, and being a mom is going to be the most wonderful thing in your life. I agree that Mac is great, and you won't have to worry about a thing with her at the helm.

Good luck with the transition, but I don't think you'll need luck, not with this decision. ;)

Simran
10-28-2006, 06:14 PM
All the best to you and your growing family Jenna. Looking forward to seeing the pics of your bundle of joy when she arrives.

Congratulations Mac! You'll do Jenna and AW proud, I'm sure.

aadams73
10-28-2006, 06:18 PM
You're doing the right(but not necessarily easy) thing and I admire you for it. I wish you nothing but the best(just don't leave us forever...or else!) :D

Congrats Mac, we all love you, and we're pleased to have you at the helm.

Perks
10-28-2006, 06:28 PM
"I see," said the blind man as he picked up his hammer and saw.

ChunkyC
10-28-2006, 06:42 PM
I have to tell you all that since Jenna told me of her plan to sell AW to Mac, I've been suffering the most incredible mixture of sadness and excitement.

Sadness because Jenna will no longer be my boss.
Excitement because Mac will now be my boss.

Sadness because I fear I won't talk with Jenna as much as I have before.
Excitement because I'll now talk with Mac more than I have before.

Okay, you can see where this is going. I love both these ladies and would throw myself on my sword for either of them without hesitation. It will take a bit of time to adjust to what I see as a bit of a role reversal -- Jenna will still hang out and be an admin and Mac will now wear the crown -- but once they're settled into their new roles, I see nothing but continued success for Absolute Write.

All hail Jenna!
All hail Mac!

KTC
10-28-2006, 06:47 PM
Jenna, you've done an incredible job...nowhere else like this on the net anywhere. I'm glad we don't have to say goodbye, just 'don't forget to take the runs the joint out from under your name'. (-;

We will always love you, whether you wear the pretty I'm-the-boss crown or not. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

McAllister...I have complete faith in you! Congratulations.

Stew21
10-28-2006, 06:54 PM
Best of luck to both of you!!

DeborahM
10-28-2006, 07:02 PM
Wow! Each day is definately a new day here. Jenna, I'm sorry to see you take off, but then you have a new path to follow that will be extremely more important. Take care of you and the baby and the family as a whole. Enjoy your time together and what other things you decide to evolve in.

MaAllister! Congrats to you!

jdkiggins
10-28-2006, 07:11 PM
:Hug2: to Jenna and Mac. Everything happens for a reason. :)

stormie
10-28-2006, 07:16 PM
So glad you're NOT LEAVING, Jenna! I mean, come on, how can I stay calm then??? Storms on my end would be brewing. I can't believe it's been seven years. I joined sometime in the early years, when it was the old boards. Time sure has flown. I've learned a lot from these boards, and your AW site, and I still do. You've done a super job. Now on to getting ready for your little girl's arrival, and of course, writing!

Mac, you'll be terrific! Jenna's chosen a great person to run this joint. And with Charlie and Fahim and Roger and all the others, you'll be great. Thanks for saying "yes" to Jenna!

Forbidden Snowflake
10-28-2006, 07:20 PM
Best wishes to you :)

You scared me at first, so I'm very glad you will stay!

And good luck to Mac, I know will be great :D

FatTire
10-28-2006, 07:26 PM
I'll miss you, Jenna.

P.H.Delarran
10-28-2006, 08:01 PM
Wishing you the best with the remainder of your pregnancy and the beginning of your new family. It's just like you to think of us and put us in such good hands.

MacAllister
10-28-2006, 08:13 PM
Thanks, folks. Seriously, Jenna is a sister to me. I have the very highest regard for what she's accomplished here. My only question was the same as yours--"wait...you're not leaving, though, right?"

WriterInChains
10-28-2006, 08:19 PM
Thanks for starting AW, Jenna. This was my first good experience in a community of writers, and that means more to me than I'm able to express. I've come so far in the past year and a half that I barely remember the chick who thought she'd probably never return after the first week (she picked a pretty lame login, but I forgive her).

I'm so glad AW won't disappear, but I'm also glad you're being kind to yourself. Every woman needs to be her own best friend sometimes. Take care & be happy.

Birol
10-28-2006, 09:04 PM
Good luck and best wishes, Jenna.

Congratulations and good luck, Mac.

clara bow
10-28-2006, 09:12 PM
:Hug2: :Hug2:

TheIT
10-28-2006, 09:13 PM
Good luck to both of you in your new roles!

Haggis
10-28-2006, 10:36 PM
Wow. Just...wow.

Jenna, I'd be upset with you, but how can I be upset with someone who has exactly the right priorities? How can I be upset with someone who picks the perfect successor? I can't. I can, however, be upset with the Detroit Tigers' collapse, so I'll direct all my wrath there.:)

Congrats and best wishes to both you and Mac.

Pat~
10-28-2006, 10:43 PM
"There is a time for everything,
and a season for every activity under heaven." http://bestsmileys.com/flowers/1.gif

Best wishes to you both, Jenna and Mac, as you embark on a new season. :)

Jean Marie
10-29-2006, 12:08 AM
Good luck to you, Jenna. You're gonna need the energy for the little girl who's on her way :Hug2:

Thanks for all you've done, here w/ AW. And I know you'll be around, so there's no way I'm saying bye!

Mac, good luck to you, too! I love you :Hug2: and I know you'll do a wonderful job!

Mom'sWrite
10-29-2006, 12:25 AM
Jenna, you are making the right choice. Your health matters more now than ever. Besides, this is the last opportunity you have before mayhem really breaks loose. (That whole "sleep when the baby sleeps" thing is cruel myth. You'll see.)

Mac, I haven't been here long, but I already know that you are sharp, talented and blessed with a giant heart.

We are indeed fortunate.

Perks
10-29-2006, 12:33 AM
It has long been my theory that Jenna and Mac are the same person. Have you ever seen them in the same room at the same time? Don't be fooled. It's a ruse.

There has to be some dastardly payoff...

Mandy-Jane
10-29-2006, 01:14 AM
Good luck Jenna. Thanks for everything.

JenNipps
10-29-2006, 01:29 AM
I am so very glad Nita (aka ritinrider) told me about the Water Cooler back whenever it was that she did. (Yeah, I've forgotten how long I've been here.) I had known of the AW website for a while but never realized there was such a community attached to it.

And a community it most definitely is. Somewhere, sometime, I seem to remember someone referring to it as a small city. I think that definitely fits.

And I think the community-ness of it is a tribute to what you started and saw grow, Jenna.

I have to echo what the others have said and include it myself with I'm glad you'll still be around. I wish you the very best with your family and everything.

Mac, congrats! Now...

Where are my marching orders? lol

awatkins
10-29-2006, 02:33 AM
I first found Jenna online when she was doing the screenwriter thing. Since then, I've stalk...follow...admired her pizzaz, brillance, and character as she's carved a niche for herself in the publishing world (she never knew I was there. bwahah) And now I'm so very proud and honored to know her as a friend and leader--and I'm positive she's got great things ahead of her! Thanks for all you do, Jenna. Love ya! :Hug2:

Mac was the first person to ever give me a rep point! How could I not love her for that? :D But besides that, she's a fine, strong, bright, intelligent, caring person (there are more adjectives that apply but I think you get the idea) and I know she'll do a fabulous job as our fearless leader. I can't wait to see what she's got in mind for us! You're awesome, Mac. :Hug2:

*sniffle* C'mere, everybody! Let's have a :e2grouphu

Cath
10-29-2006, 02:39 AM
Jenna - it sounds like you're making the right choice - I'm sorry to see you stand down from the role, but really glad you'll still be around.

Mac - good luck! :)

Unique
10-29-2006, 04:12 AM
Jenna - Congratulations (on getting your life back) ;)
Mac - I hope you took pictures (and good notes) ;)

((Big Hugs)) for both of you.

allion
10-29-2006, 04:55 AM
Yep, Mac gave me my first rep point too.

Jenna, all the best in your new adventure called motherhood.

Mac, all the best in your expanded adventure called AW.

I'll behave. Honest. Well, most times, unless I've had too much caffeine, or not enough sleep, or I feel ill, or cranky, or whatever....

Congrats to Mac!

Karen

wyntermoon
10-29-2006, 05:12 AM
Jenna, it takes a real mother to know when to let one baby go off by itself and embrace the next; with the love and devotion you've given AW the past seven years, I know you'll make an excellent mother to little Wyntermoon. ;)

Mac, I've had this idea for author podcasts brewing in my noggin for about a month now... :D

MacAllister
10-29-2006, 08:29 AM
Stacey, PM me if you're serious about podcast ideas. :)

I'm crazy about y'all, I hope you know.

BardSkye
10-29-2006, 10:22 AM
Congratulations to both Jenna and Mac on their role reversal and let's all make it as easy on both of them as we can.

Jenna, though I know you'll shortly have a dearth of free time, please keep in touch with the family here. You know we love you dearly.:e2flowers

Mac, welcome to the top boss spot. :Hail:

September skies
10-29-2006, 11:02 AM
Thank you again, Jenna and Mac, for all you've done. You have my love, both of you, during this transaction period -- and forever. :)

Jo
10-29-2006, 05:20 PM
When I clicked on this thread, I was thinking "Oh no... ".

:)

Good luck, Jenna and Mac. Enjoy the ride. ;)

wyntermoon
10-29-2006, 06:28 PM
Stacey, PM me if you're serious about podcast ideas. :)

I was, actually! I'll PM you and let's see what trouble we can get into ;)

K1P1
10-30-2006, 12:02 AM
Aw Jenna, I just got here, and even I can see what an amazing thing you've accomplished keeping AW going for so long. I've seen time and again how the person at the top of an organzation influences the whole organization down to the bottom. I haven't even begun to know you personally, but I can tell what a wonderful person you are from this organization you created and nurtured. I'm sure it will change under MacAllister, and that won't be a bad thing, just different.

I hope you'll have more time to hang out and join the conversation once you're free of all the administrative headaches, and then I'll get a chance to know you.

Excelsior!

ETA: And MacAllister - we'll try to behave to ease the transition. :D Let us know if there's anything we can do to help.

Rolling Thunder
10-30-2006, 12:30 AM

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_1_4.gif

mkcbunny
10-30-2006, 12:46 AM
Jenna, thank you for all you've done and for your leadership and good humor through some difficult times.

Mac, congratulations! And thank you for taking the helm.

aka eraser
10-30-2006, 01:07 AM
You know I love you both. This is going to work out well for everybody. :)

robeiae
10-30-2006, 01:33 AM
Not the fish...

Alan Yee
10-30-2006, 01:55 AM
Jenna, thanks for everything. I've only been really active since right before the big shutdown, but I hope you know how much I appreciate what you've done. You've given me a place to hang out with writers, talk about writing, talk about scams, talk about political and religious topics, chat about silly things, ask for help, b!tch, complain, make friends, and get support and encouragement from other writers. You did the right thing. At this point, getting through your pregnancy is more important. I hope you still come visit every once and a while.

Oh yes, and congratulations Mac. It couldn't have happened to a better person. We knew you were crazy when you offered to moderate Current Events and Political Theories in TIO, but now you are officially insane. :D It's been great getting to know you, and I know you'll handle things just fine. (We promise to be nice! Really! We won't play pranks on you or anything, nope, uh-uh. We're innocent, yep.)

Thomma Lyn
10-30-2006, 03:47 AM
Thanks for starting AW, Jenna. This was my first good experience in a community of writers, and that means more to me than I'm able to express.

What caren said. AW is a wonderful place, and thank you so much, Jenna, for everything you have done. :)

And thank you, Mac, for taking the helm!

Best of luck to both of you.

robeiae
10-30-2006, 05:58 AM
And thank you, Mac, for taking the helm!
I think this (http://www.axelsarmoury.com/e7196f00.jpg) is the one she took. If not, it's certainly the one she wants...

AmyBA
10-30-2006, 06:50 AM
Jenna, thank you-- it feels so inadequate considering all you've given to AW, but thank you.

Mac, my heartfelt congratulations and best wishes as you begin this new journey-- thanks for letting all of us come along too!

NicoleJLeBoeuf
10-30-2006, 07:14 AM
Jenna, thank you for all you've done, and good luck to you in your future endeavors--about which you will tell us EVERYTHING! no?

You could not have left us in better hands. Yay Mac!

MidnightMuse
10-30-2006, 07:36 PM
Best of everything to you, Jenna - and to that little bundle of joy we're all waiting to see.

*hmm, AW now run by someone in my home city . . . * Oh, ah, nothing :D

moth
10-31-2006, 12:15 AM
Dang it, I call myself a writer, I should be able to express my thoughts in my own words...yet I can't find a way to say it better than show tunes can. :tongue

Jenna -- cribbing shamelessly from Wicked:

"Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
...I do believe I have been changed for the better ;)
Because I knew you
I have been changed for good."

I'm so happy you'll still be around here. Thank you, thank you for everything! :Hug2:

Mac -- cribbing shamelessly from My Fair Lady:

"I said to him you did it, you did it, you did it,
You said that you would do it and indeed you did
I thought that you would rue it, I (never ;) ) doubted you'd do it
But now I must admit it that succeed you did!

You should get a medal or be even made a knight!"

That applies for past, present and future, for all you've done for this site and all you'll do in the future. :D

LOVE YOU BOTH!!!!!!! Thank you ladies, thank you! :heart:

JennaGlatzer
10-31-2006, 02:05 AM
Because I knew you
I have been changed for good.

Ohhh! I love that song! Thank you so much... now I'll get warm fuzzies when I listen to it again. :)

Thank you, everybody, for the abundance of support and good wishes and love. Means a lot to me!

Freckles
10-31-2006, 03:01 AM
Jenna, I'm going to miss you as our leader, but I'm excited for the path your life is taking. Thanks for everything...wish I'd been here longer!

dobiwon
10-31-2006, 05:59 AM
Jenna,

Thanks so much for all you've done with this board. I'm sure I speak for many who like me don't post very much but spend a lot of time learning from the wonderful people here. You've done a great service for a lot of people.

Thanks again, and I wish you and your husband all the best with your baby. Enjoy and God bless you all.

MacAllister
10-31-2006, 06:24 AM
My ghod...Santa posts on AW.

Dobiwon, this just totally made my day, I gotta tell you!

dobiwon
10-31-2006, 06:51 AM
Note to self: Make sure Jenna's and Mac's names are on the "Nice Children" list!

Birol
10-31-2006, 07:34 AM
:Headbang:

Oh, gawd. Mac has an "in" with Santa now.

wyntermoon
10-31-2006, 08:24 AM
Santa's first name is Don?

Rolling Thunder
10-31-2006, 03:26 PM
If I ever see 'Santa' posting in the erotica forum I'm gonna cry.:cry:

SeanDSchaffer
10-31-2006, 03:57 PM
I didn't see this thread until just now, so I'm sitting here kind of in a stunned mood right now. It will be sad to see you no longer running the joint, Jenna, although I have a slight idea (and I do mean slight) what kind of stress this place has to be dealing you. Especially with something so delicate as a pregnancy, I can see why you would need to hand the job over to someone else.

I am glad you will still probably be here, and I am thankful that MacAllister will be running the show. She's a good individual, and knows lots of cool stuff, like you said, about the Internet and making a site work better. I also think she's an excellent moderator. Not too harsh, not too soft, but having good judgment, I've found her to be a wonderful individual that can do her job very well.

I hope to see you around the boards, Jenna. Your insights into the writing and publishing industries are, IMO, invaluable to aspiring writers such as myself. Also, the fact you have been so encouraging to me personally, has been a real boon to my ability to move on after the fiasco I encountered with PublishAmerica.

Now, thanks in part to you--and in part to many of the other wonderful members of AbsoluteWrite--I have moved on from being a mediocre writer to writing pretty decently. I have also begun to submit my work more often, and more frequently as I am able to. I find that the work is difficult, but worthy of the time I spend doing it. If it were not for people such as I have met here, I do not think I would have been able to become an effective writer or a thick-skinned submitter (Is that a word?).

So I just want to thank you for running the joint as long as you have. The almost two years that I have been here have been almost two years of tremendous growth for me as a writer, filled with hope for a good writing career. I know Mac will do an excellent job here, and I know that many more writers will continue to be helped and aided in their writing aspirations.

I wish you all the best, Jenna, and I look forward to seeing you around the boards.

Mac, I'm glad to see you've taken on this job, and I want to wish you the very best of success in continuing to run this fabulous writer's resource called the Water Cooler. Good luck to you!

Patricia
10-31-2006, 04:25 PM
My thanks, love, and best wishes to you both.

Serenity
10-31-2006, 09:40 PM
Wow, and wow. Is there really anything else to say? Congratulations to both of you.

This is how smooth this is going to be: We'll all notice the change without noticing a change.

Jenna, children are the most precious things we have on this Earth. If anyone faults you for giving up a job for your child? Send them my way. Trust me, it's always the quiet ones who can inflict the most devistating and inhumanly painful damage. (That, and since no one suspects us of it, we tend to get away with it too! :D )

Mac? I know you'll do an incredible job, Jenna couldn't have chosen any better!

Sarita
11-01-2006, 12:16 AM
I :heart: you both.

dclary
11-01-2006, 12:42 AM
A) Will you retain Wrathful powers? Or will you be mailing your eyebrows o' wrath to Mac?

B) Does this mean there's a new junior mod position available? :D

dclary
11-01-2006, 12:43 AM
Santa's first name is Don?

It's his Spanish Title.

"Don Santa Clausitas"

robeiae
11-01-2006, 02:15 AM
Sounds Sicilian...

But wait, the Moors conquered Sicily, didn't they? And they did so much *beeeep* with Sicilian women that blond hair and blur eyes became black hair and brown eyes...

So tell me, am I lying?

SC Harrison
11-02-2006, 07:16 AM
Jenna and Mac, I love you both.

As long as you're both still around, life will be good. :)

ChaosTitan
11-02-2006, 08:08 AM
I really need to check this board more often. Yikes!

It has been my pleasure to be a part of this extraordinary community of writers, and it will continue to be as long as AW exists. Jenna has been a wonderful hostess, and I have loved sitting at her table. And now I'm excited to see what the meal will be like with Mac in charge.

Pass the potatos! :)

SpookyWriter
11-02-2006, 09:24 AM
Jenna,

I am at a loss for words. I only heard about this transition tonight in OP and was taken by surprise. I hope you know how much I appreciate everything you've done to create and foster a writers community that is so much more than I've encountered in twenty years. I always enjoyed your sporadic intrusions into our lives with the wit, style, grace, and charm of a host who is so tolerant of us writers. I can't begin to appreciate what haunts have hurt you so, but there are thousands of writers and other artisans here who owe you more than we can ever expect to repay.

I want to wish you the best happiness in the world because you deserve it. I also want to thank you for the guidance and fellowship that you have brought to this writers community. I know you'll never be far away from us, and so I won't say good bye. I will think the best possible thoughts for you, Anthony, and the new baby who will grow up with a wonderful mother and father.

I welcome Mac now and know she will show the same tolerance to us freaks as you have in the past. Mac has always exhibited the best in a person who loves the arts.

I trust her.

Sincerely,

Jon

Susie
11-02-2006, 09:44 AM
Jenna, I just saw your so heart-felt post, or I would have been here to reply sooner. Sure understand about your needing less stress in your life and that you and baby come first. Hope everything works out great for you and your family. Much good fortune with everything and so glad you'll still be here at, least for awhile. You're really super and have done a great job and you picked someone very excellent, like you! :Hug2:

billythrilly7th
11-02-2006, 09:46 AM
I love Mac and have full confidence her and the future of AW, but man o man do I hate change.

I'm very sad about this whole thing.

:(

GPatten
11-02-2006, 10:28 AM
:Shrug:

Well, if it is too stressful then I hope you take a nice rest, have your baby and return once again.

You’ll be missed by many.

Birol
11-02-2006, 11:04 AM
I love Mac and have full confidence her and the future of AW, but man o man do I hate change.

I'm very sad about this whole thing.

:(

:Hug2:

Godfather
11-02-2006, 01:39 PM
good luck.

there's a lot of changing a-goin on here, and we all gotta roll with it. for better or for worse. but i don't think this is for worse. far from.

jenna, don't be a stranger.

(psst! don't tell anyone, i was thinking of reestablishing the aw mafia. now that you're no longer in charge, maybe you could help out with the running of the mafia)

Cabria
11-02-2006, 05:13 PM
Jenna: Thanks for the opportunity to be involved in Stories of Strength. It was an honour and a privelege. Thanks for the gc forum - it has opened so many more doors to me with greeting card writing - last year I would have never thought I could write humour copy - and here I am getting acceptances and loving it! Good luck with your new baby (on the way) and your new future.

Mac: Congratulations on now being the one to "run the joint". Hope the joint runs smoothly for you!

Debbie :)

NeuroFizz
11-02-2006, 06:20 PM
Jenna - thank you, thank you, thank you. We'll anticipate your stop-ins, but get some rest and bask in the calm.

Mac - thank you, thank you, thank you. I'll try to behave.

robeiae
11-02-2006, 06:29 PM
Mac, in honour of your ascension, I posted somewhere other than TIO today.

And Jenna, in honour of your passing of the Scepter of Wrath, I had a muffin for breakfast. It was the least I could do...:D

wyntermoon
11-02-2006, 07:22 PM
I had a mini-snickers for breakfast in honor of Jenna and Mac. I show my support via chocolate.

tjwriter
11-03-2006, 04:25 AM
Just read your message, Jenna. Can't say that I'm too surprised. I'm just glad you made the decision to step back now rather than wait until your were seriously stressed and overwhelmed. It's healthier that way.

Mac is an excellent choice for AW and I know she works hard here. I offer my services to you. Need something? Just ask.

(Technically true for the whole board, but nobody asks very often. I'm pretty rubbery and great for bouncing ideas off of.)

:e2bouncey

stormie
11-03-2006, 04:30 AM
I had a mini-snickers for breakfast in honor of Jenna and Mac. I show my support via chocolate.
I had a peppermint schnapps after dinner in honor of Jenna. Then another one in honor of Mac. :D

Gillian
11-03-2006, 04:49 PM
I'm always late in reading the important threads.

I think you're wise to reduce the amount you do, Jenna; and I know you'll be back here; and Mac is the *perfect* person to take over. So there isn't sadness: well, maybe there's just a little.

At least the changing of the guard means I get to thank you - AW makes a difference for so many of us in so many ways. It's still making a difference for me - it really reduces the isolation of working from home and means that even in far-flung places we're part of a community of writing. Big stuff. And I will always feel privileged to have been a part of Stories of Strength. Just don't call your baby Barbara.

Mandy-Jane
11-03-2006, 05:05 PM
Hey Jenna,

I've just read your "Letter from the Editor" in this week's newsletter. It's just beautiful. I wish you a fulfilling and happy motherhood, and a life that's full of everything you want and deserve.

And lots of happiness and love.....

alleycat
11-03-2006, 05:06 PM
I wish you a fulfilling and happy motherhood, and a life that's full of everything you want and deserve.

And lots of happiness and love.....

And a yak!

piscesgirl80
11-03-2006, 05:15 PM
Thanks so much for what you've done Jenna. Good luck with the new phase in your life!:Thumbs:

Jenan Mac
11-03-2006, 07:22 PM
Here's to new beginnings! ::raises glass::

Calla Lily
11-04-2006, 01:53 AM
Jenna, good luck, enjoy being preggers and when the baby arrives, kiss his/her toes a few thousand times and listen to him/her giggle. It makes everything worthwhile!

Mac, thanks for taking over!

budgie_brain
11-04-2006, 03:15 AM
Thank you, Jenna, for putting in so much time and love into such a wonderful place for writers to communicate! I hope the rest of your pregnancy goes smoothly! I'm also glad to hear you won't be leaving for good! Take care, Jenna! And thanks again for the warm welcome! :)

And thank you for taking over, MacAllister! :)

--Alice

Talia
11-05-2006, 02:31 AM
I just read about it in the newsletter. Wow big changes, but we have a good community here and while we'll miss you we know you'll be around.

I really enjoyed reading about conquering your agraphobia, it's an inspiring story. Good luck with everything.

jbal
11-05-2006, 04:12 AM
How did I miss this thread?

writerterri
11-05-2006, 06:06 AM
How did I miss this thread?

Because you were following me.

writerterri
11-05-2006, 06:16 AM
You made the right choice, Jenna. I proud of you for stepping down and not just throwing it all away. I don't know what I would do without this place, and I say it with tears in my eyes. Your family needs you and babies are two full time jobs plus you'll be on call at night.

If you would have shut this place down I would have gone to your house and picketed until Mac would have said yes. So thanks, Mac for saying yes and saving me a trip to Jenna's house, though it would have been nice to pet her belly.

If there's anything I can do to help you guys can always call on me, I'm just a click away and I learn pretty easy, well, by trial and error.

Good for you Jenna, and Mac, way to go.

Thanks,

Terri

MacAllister
11-05-2006, 09:31 AM
Wait...if we go to Jenna's house, we get to pet her belly?

No one told me that.

writerterri
11-05-2006, 10:42 PM

No one told me that.

It would be delightful wouldn't it?

Robin Bayne
11-06-2006, 01:03 AM
Wishing your family all the best!!

sassandgroove
11-07-2006, 01:35 AM
I just got back from out of town. (MOre like out of this world. I was in DisneyWorld.) Jenna, good for you for knowing when to step back, and good for you for leaving such a legacy, and good for you for making such good choices. I hope you'll keep the baby stuff thread updated. Now maybe you can know what it is like just to be here for fun. :Hug2:

Mac, YAY! Do the snoopy dance! :snoopy: I don't know what else to say. You are always so on top of things and I see you popping up everywhere with just the right thing to say. I don't know how you do it. Jenna is a smart woman to pick you. :)

ETA Can Somebody Sticky this, I had a time trying to find it.

JennaGlatzer
11-07-2006, 01:39 AM

Totally. As much as you want.

FREE BELLY PETTING!

Shall I pick you up at the airport?

Thank you for all the supportive words, friends. :)

aka eraser
11-07-2006, 03:51 AM
If you're ever in my neck of the woods, you can pet my belly too. I'll even roll over on my back, tongue lolling, and drool in an attractive manner.

Birol
11-07-2006, 03:58 AM
and drool in an attractive manner.

Is such a thing possible? I'll have to drive up to Frank's neck of the woods just to find out.

awatkins
11-07-2006, 04:16 AM
Please post pix, Lori. :D

Rolling Thunder
11-07-2006, 04:43 AM
**note to self - the mods are an odd, kinky bunch**

Birol
11-07-2006, 05:46 AM
**note to self - the mods are an odd, kinky bunch**

You're just figuring that out? And you've been registered for nearly three months? Geez. Wait until April 1st, better known as March 31st around here.

poetinahat
11-07-2006, 05:55 AM
Don't feel bad, RT -- knowledge is no protection in this case. I'm still recovering from the initi**ZZZZAP**

-ahem-

ah, I'm back in the happy place!

Dawno
11-07-2006, 11:18 AM
It took a lot of whining to the travel agent to wrangle a good deal, but I've got my tickets to first pick up Lori so we can go pet Frank's belly and photograph the drooling and then I fly out to Jenna's to pet hers (you don't drool do you?), then it's over to Oz to help PomeDude with his delusions and possibly show him the right conditioner for that newly frizzed out hair (you really need to try not to set off the collar, it'll fry your roots). I'm going to rack up those frequent flyer miles!!

What I really want to say, though, all joking aside - having had the fabulous opportunity this summer to spend time with Mac at the SF World Con, I can honestly state that she's one of the most wonderful, fun, encouraging and caring folk I've ever had the pleasure to know.

She's right up there in all those qualities with Jenna who I hope I will someday have the honor of meeting in person to thank her for believing in me, encouraging me and giving me the opportunity to help at one of the finest gatherings of bright, creative and fun people in the world - Absolute Write Water Cooler.

Good Word
11-07-2006, 05:03 PM
I have come over to this thread about 20 times since it was started, and each time coherence left me. Hopefully it will stick around for a few minutes:

Jenna has grown this community in her very smart and kind way, with her unique version of class and wit and thoughtful diligence. I know that Mac will move things forward in her very smart way, with her unique version of class and wit and thoughtful diligence.*

To know them is to know they are both amazing people.

*Even though she sucks at arm-wrestling.

jbal
11-07-2006, 10:03 PM
Ok, now I've had some time to collect my thoughts, and here's what I was thinking:
How do you go about accomplishing something? Read any motivational book or sales manual (and after all, we're selling our work, or at least trying), they all have certain things in common. Set a long term goal. Break that long term goal into smaller, more manageable goals, and figure out what steps you will take to acheive them. Surround yourself with a network of people who can help you acheive your goal. And finally work your a$$ off and do it.
If we assume that the average goal as a writer would be to quit your day job and write full time, we have Goals and accomplishments to help us articulate that and make concrete notes of our progress. There was a thread in novels recently called "how much money..." that may have helped further. We are surrounded here with information on how most efficiently to pursue our goal, and we are surrounded by a helpful, supportive network of people that can give us advice or just the extra push.
I highly reccommend "Think and Grow Rich" by Napoleon Hill, which is not a get rich quick scheme, but a very good manual on how to accomplish anything you want. And guess what? For a writer, every element you need is right here at AW. Jenna should long be remembered as a major and important contributor to the writing community.

That's all I got, wecome Mac, our new peerless leader!

C.bronco
11-07-2006, 10:10 PM
Good luck and thank you for making this fantastic and helpful forum!

And The Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy is hysterical if you have a chance to read it. Best wishes!

von62653
11-08-2006, 05:29 AM
We'll miss you Jenna. Best Wishes with the new babe!!:Hug2:

AnneMarble
11-09-2006, 08:52 AM
I could go on and on, but I'll just leave it at this:

Aww. Sniffle. Sniffle. We love you, too.
:cry: :Hug2: :e2arms:

You're leaving the site in very capable hands. But you know that already, don't you? :)

Peggy
11-09-2006, 10:43 PM
I haven't really been on AW much the past week or so, so I was really surprised when I found this thread.

Jenna: It's hard to imagine AW without you at the helm. AW is both an incredibly useful resource and a community. Thank you for all the time, sweat and tears you've put into it. I think it's fabulous that you were able to sell it to Mac, who already knows the joint and loves it here.

I hope you get some well-deserved rest. Good luck!

Pike
11-11-2006, 09:35 AM
Talk about jumping in way after the fact...

I just wanted to say how much I've enjoyed this site and community. Jenna, the crew, and everyone here has given me access to the writing group that has been so far out of reach (I'm about an hour north of Mac, living in one of the mud puddles striving to thrive outside the influence of Seattle). Best of times to you Jenna; taking time out of your hectic life to be a mom is a wonderful thing, and darned hectic to boot. I've got four poddlings of my own and boy do they take a lot of sugar to feed.

Here's to Jenna's new bundle of joy and us causing Mac to pull her hair out. Her-her!

Bufty
11-12-2006, 09:40 PM
Don't know how I missed this thread, but yes, I share Peggy's sentiments.

Thinking of you both. :Hug2: :Hug2:

I haven't really been on AW much the past week or so, so I was really surprised when I found this thread.

Jenna: It's hard to imagine AW without you at the helm. AW is both an incredibly useful resource and a community. Thank you for all the time, sweat and tears you've put into it. I think it's fabulous that you were able to sell it to Mac, who already knows the joint and loves it here.

I hope you get some well-deserved rest. Good luck!

Serena Casey
11-18-2006, 10:23 PM
Well, so far I've got you all beat. I didn't know about this until today, and I visit AW at least twice a day. I've never been very observant, which makes me wonder why I'm trying to be a writer!?

Anyway, I've only been here since right after the big shutdown, so I don't know either of you well, but I wish you both the best in your new roles. I have really enjoyed AW and it doesn't sound like that will change anytime soon. It's without question the best writing site I found in my original search for one—definitely in a league of its own!

TDonbavand
11-19-2006, 11:34 PM
Jenna

What can I say? I've been visiting AW for most of its seven years, and it just won't be the same without you. However, the site has taken on a life of its own and, under the care of the new management, I'm sure it will continue to flourish.

The very best of luck with the baby. I'm still learning how to be a Dad, and loving every minute of it!

Best wishes

Tommy

Doctor Shifty
11-27-2006, 12:13 PM
Here's somebody else who's just found the thread that explains how a gold-leaf gopher now runs the place. :)

Blessings on the baby, Jenna, and best wishes to you both as you make the change of "runs the place"-ing.

Kim

hockeytaxi
12-01-2006, 10:21 AM
My name is not well known here but I lurk often and have posted occassionally. I am saddened to hear that you will not longer run the site. I'm sure that Mac will keep the integrity of the site.

Jenna, I'd like to add a quick note to your good mail pile. I'd like to thank you for your efforts on developing this site. I recommend it daily (as I do your freelance book). This site, your kind words and those of this site's members have encouraged me to start a career in freelance writing, and embrace my love of writing creative non-fiction and fiction. I have also returned to University to complete my BA in Creative Writing, encouraged again by feedback from the site.

As a mother of three and a person who often takes on too much, I can understand and respect your decision to let go. I wish you and your partner all the best with your new baby. I can see all your new books already! Once again, thank you for sharing your knowledge and passion for writing.

Selena aka Hockeytaxi