How to write a best-selling fantasy novel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Risseybug

OMG, that is funny.
I actually use one or two of those elements in my first book. But my main character is a unconfident female, 11 years old. :b :b The few others are not the same either.
The new WIP will not have any "creatures" - not a dwarf or elf among them.

Risseybug

Well, Dave, you know rules are made to be broken!
Hey, now just to be clear, my "world", is not square, it's more round. I drew a map somewhere.....:rollin

And I have NO orcs. And I have a working economy. At least, I mention farms, and my major city has shops and a marketplace.

So I guess I don't know how to follow rules either!:rofl

DaveKuzminski

My story is based upon the economy, so it had to have a realistic one with trade of various products and services that serve as the basis for some of the conflicts that take place. One job is actually threatened by the introduction of another from a remote culture that becomes a trading partner, so there's even unemployment! Thank goodness, I took Economics in college.

And I didn't draw a map, but the world is round and the characters know it. The heroes are generally educated for their positions. A few find advancement outside their positions, but they're soon educated for those so that their later success isn't a matter of luck.

Nope, no orcs or dwarves, but it does have some winged humans.

No giants, but it does have dinosaurs!

Does have wizards, but not just one or two, but lots of them. Lots of witches, too.

The main characters don't always win and aren't always good. Some even die.

Risseybug

The main characters don't always win and aren't always good. Some even die.

Ohhh, good point. But I write YA novels, so trying to make the main character a bad guy can be kind of tricky. Not that it's impossible. Read an Artemis Fowl book. Mr. Colfer has just the right balance of being a boy and a right little bastard too.

I like the winged humans thing too. Sounds very interesting!

arainsb123

:rollin That's hilarious!!!! I'm willing to bet that Paolini used that guide when he wrote Eragon :grin .

My parody has huts and castles, but no caves! GASP! I have been remiss!

Risseybug

And I have a cave (or two - one is a home and one is a short passage) and a castle but no huts. :lol
The closest thing that I come to it is a cottage.

Yeshanu

My parody has huts and castles, but no caves!

You absolutely cannot write a fantasy novel without caves that are extensive and house whole cities (without any apparent food source for said cities.)

Better fix that fast! :grin

Kida Adelyn

I don't have a cave, or a hut. Accually, I Havn't figured what that guy lives in. I do have a castle. Not really castle but close...
I'm gonna stop talking to myself now.

My mum subjected me to that thing a long time ago. I love it.:grin

Writing Again

My current fantasy novel has 70,000 of 150,000 words. I'll reserve at least one of them for "hut."

Flawed Creation

let's see....

i have

the guide (he's useless... because he's pacifistic... he makes everyone else kill poeple for him, becaus ehe doesn't feel like it)

a castle

a pure maiden warrior

skip the hard parts

lead up to a confrontation

easily breaching the stronghold (of the protag, not the BBEG)

and probably a few more

macalicious731

Shoot... no castle, no hut, no cave!!

What the heck am I gonna do now? Hmm... perhaps I should just rewrite the whole thing?

Pthom

I'm really thankful that I'm writing a semi-hard* science fiction story. No castles, no caves, no huts.

I do have several million cubic meters of bologonium, though. Does that count?

* don't ask.

ChunkyC

May I, Pthom?

Bolognium is a term coined by Larry Niven, to describe that element of a science fiction story that cannot be explained by current science. Light Sabres are bolognium. Warp drive and transporter technology are bolognium. Mr. Niven suggests one piece of bolognium is enough per story. Two is pushing it. Three and you're not really writing science fiction any more. (that last contention is mine)

Pthom

Chunky, thanks. Your contention agrees with David Gerrold who says in his book, Worlds of Wonder:
Niven says that there is a limited amount of bolognium a writer can put into a story. A good science fiction story can sustain one piece of bolognium suite well. Stories with two pieces of bolognium require significant skill in juggling and should not be attempted by beginners. Three pieces of bolognium represent critical mass, and no one less than a grand master should attempt such a challenge. Stories with four or more pieces of bolognium are called "fantasies."

ChunkyC

Y'know, Gerrold sure is right about the 'Grand Master' part. After posting, I wondered if I was a bit harsh with the '3 bits of bolognium' statement. I recalled Niven's own Ringworld, which has at least three: the stasis field, faster than light travel, and the material the ringworld is made from: scrith -- though one could argue that FTL travel is such a necessity for science fiction that a writer should be allowed to have that one free. :grin

Pthom

Niven's own Ringworld, which has at least three: the stasis field, faster than light travel, and the material the ringworld is made from: scrith
You forget Niven's stepping booths and the autodoc? And the General Products Hull?

Niven puts in so much bolognium in his stories and does it so well, it's hard to remember what's sausage and what's not.

;)

Lori Basiewicz

But is it really bolognium if it isn't completely invented? For instance, if it is a theoretical possibility but science just hasn't figured it out yet? I would argue those cases aren't pure bolognium.

Status
Not open for further replies.