Why no Action/Adventure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NTG

Registered
Reaction score
I was just browsing through the Share Your Work forum, thinking about putting up a chapter or two of what I've been writing with a 13-year-old boy audience in mind, and there weren't any categories available. I mean, who wants to get lumped in with Other? There was Children's (aw, geez, Dad, this stuff is for BABIES!!!), but no Adolescent Male and not even any Action/Adventure. Howcome? Can this be rectified? What if somebody wants to come along and update the Hardy Boys or Tom Swift? (No, not me. But somebody might, and I bet they'd sell.)

Nathanael

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Action/adventure, I assume would be under mainstream.

Mainstream covers a lot of ground.

NTG

Registered
Reaction score
icerose said:
Action/adventure, I assume would be under mainstream.

Mainstream covers a lot of ground.

I dunno. That sounds too much like Regular. Is there a Mainstream category for movies at Blockbuster?

Actually, I would like to see Juvenile as a category separate from Children's. It's a recognized subgenre in SF (or at least was when I was the right age to read it).

But I went ahead and put it there. It's better than Other.

Nathanael

Last edited:

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It seems pointless to subdivide Share Your Work into too many genre types. I don't write mystery, exactly, but the term encompasses thrillers and suspense, too. When I have a suspense story or chapter on which I would like critique, that's where I put it. I also add a teaser line and a link to my signature line.

Critique behind the scenes, with people whose opinions you've come to trust through interaction on AW's various boards, happens a lot, too, without the work ever being posted.

Maryn, who'll be working on her rewrite this weekend, honest!

J. Weiland

Lurker
Registered
Reaction score
I would consider 13-year olds children also.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
J. Weiland said:

*mumblegrumble* If yer under twenty-five, yer a child. *mumblegrumble*

expatbrat

Look what we made:
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.expatbrat.com
J. Weiland said:

Teens are a tough one. Mother nature considers them old enough to be parents but we won't let them drink or drive.

I personally would not consider teens children. They have those hormone things which makes them more adult like - in my mind they are adults with very limited experience.

expatbrat

Look what we made:
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.expatbrat.com
Maryn said:
It seems pointless to subdivide Share Your Work into too many genre types.

I agree. The boards are not that active as it is - so having even more boards to jump around would dilute potential critiques ever further. Just say who your target audience is when you post the work.

Allie

Registered
Reaction score
expatbrat said:
Teens are a tough one. Mother nature considers them old enough to be parents but we won't let them drink or drive.

I personally would not consider teens children. They have those hormone things which makes them more adult like - in my mind they are adults with very limited experience.

When's the last time you spend quality one on one time with a thirteen year old? I just spend the last three days with a twelve year old, and trust me, she is still a child. She just about as likely to play with dolls with a younger kid as she is to talk to her "boyfriend". It's a mixed up bizarre time in their lives, which is why it's so miserable for everyone involved.

I agree that they have lots and lots of hormones. But they still live lives of complete dependency because most thirteen year olds are not capable of abstract reasoning. Now a seventeen year old girl... that's different.

Status
Not open for further replies.