PDA

View Full Version : Why no Action/Adventure?

NTG
10-27-2006, 08:02 PM
I was just browsing through the Share Your Work forum, thinking about putting up a chapter or two of what I've been writing with a 13-year-old boy audience in mind, and there weren't any categories available. I mean, who wants to get lumped in with Other? There was Children's (aw, geez, Dad, this stuff is for BABIES!!!), but no Adolescent Male and not even any Action/Adventure. Howcome? Can this be rectified? What if somebody wants to come along and update the Hardy Boys or Tom Swift? (No, not me. But somebody might, and I bet they'd sell.)

Nathanael

icerose
10-27-2006, 08:12 PM
Action/adventure, I assume would be under mainstream.

Mainstream covers a lot of ground.

NTG
10-27-2006, 09:06 PM
Action/adventure, I assume would be under mainstream.

Mainstream covers a lot of ground.

I dunno. That sounds too much like Regular. Is there a Mainstream category for movies at Blockbuster?

Actually, I would like to see Juvenile as a category separate from Children's. It's a recognized subgenre in SF (or at least was when I was the right age to read it).

But I went ahead and put it there. It's better than Other.

Nathanael

Carlene
10-27-2006, 09:12 PM
Our local B&N has a YA section - maybe you could check there?

Carlene

Maryn
10-28-2006, 06:11 PM
It seems pointless to subdivide Share Your Work into too many genre types. I don't write mystery, exactly, but the term encompasses thrillers and suspense, too. When I have a suspense story or chapter on which I would like critique, that's where I put it. I also add a teaser line and a link to my signature line.

Critique behind the scenes, with people whose opinions you've come to trust through interaction on AW's various boards, happens a lot, too, without the work ever being posted.

Maryn, who'll be working on her rewrite this weekend, honest!

J. Weiland
10-28-2006, 06:26 PM
I would consider 13-year olds children also.

PeeDee
10-28-2006, 07:27 PM

*mumblegrumble* If yer under twenty-five, yer a child. *mumblegrumble*

expatbrat
10-30-2006, 07:08 AM

Teens are a tough one. Mother nature considers them old enough to be parents but we won't let them drink or drive.

I personally would not consider teens children. They have those hormone things which makes them more adult like - in my mind they are adults with very limited experience.

expatbrat
10-30-2006, 07:12 AM
It seems pointless to subdivide Share Your Work into too many genre types.

I agree. The boards are not that active as it is - so having even more boards to jump around would dilute potential critiques ever further. Just say who your target audience is when you post the work.

Allie
10-30-2006, 08:07 AM
Teens are a tough one. Mother nature considers them old enough to be parents but we won't let them drink or drive.

I personally would not consider teens children. They have those hormone things which makes them more adult like - in my mind they are adults with very limited experience.

When's the last time you spend quality one on one time with a thirteen year old? I just spend the last three days with a twelve year old, and trust me, she is still a child. She just about as likely to play with dolls with a younger kid as she is to talk to her "boyfriend". It's a mixed up bizarre time in their lives, which is why it's so miserable for everyone involved.

I agree that they have lots and lots of hormones. But they still live lives of complete dependency because most thirteen year olds are not capable of abstract reasoning. Now a seventeen year old girl... that's different.