New York Agent better?

budgie_brain

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

I have heard from a couple writers that it's better to have a New York based agent because the NY agent can meet with editors. Is this true? I was curious about what other people thought about this. :)

I hope I'm posting this in the right place...if not, I'm sorry!

Thanks very much!

--Alice

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
Although most agents are in the vicinity of New York many excellent ones are not. The important things are: does the agent have publishing (editor) contacts, are they a member of AAR, and do they have legitimate sales. Kristin Nelson is in Colorado and there are many good agents in California.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
It's helpful, but not necessary. I've worked with a very successful agency that's based in Dallas, TX, and my last agent was from Washington, D.C. The Dallas agents fly to NY about once a month to do meetings. The D.C. one made fewer trips, relying more on e-mail and phone.

Track record is what's important. Some agents make it work just fine from outside NY; some can't.

aghast

Registered
Reaction score
its helpful but with modern technologies its not necessary - its good to have 'lunch' with editors though but many deals are done by phone, fax, e and snail mail - its not where the agent is but how good they are and how many clients and who they are

budgie_brain

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for your thoughts and experiences, Orion, Jenna, aghast, and Victoria! :) I'm relieved to hear that we shouldn't be limited to NY agents. There are some agents I'm interested in who aren't NY-based, and I'm glad I can consider querying them.

Thanks again for the quick responses! :D

--Alice

budgie_brain

Registered
Reaction score
victoriastrauss said:
As long as they have genuine track records. That's the most important thing.

- Victoria
Thanks, Victoria. :) I'll keep this in mind. BTW, I've been learning a lot through your Writer Beware site. Thank you!

--Alice