View Full Version : How many bags of candy

A. Hamilton
10-27-2006, 04:28 AM
..will you buy for Halloween?
I bought 14.

jbal
10-27-2006, 04:32 AM
Did you hide them well?

How many can I buy for...uh...six dollars?

billythrilly7th
10-27-2006, 04:32 AM
O

No kids trick or treat in my building.

:(

A. Hamilton
10-27-2006, 04:34 AM
Did you hide them well?

two. three if you find a good sale.
I spent $30.
We get a ton of kids here.

TrainofThought
10-27-2006, 04:36 AM
None. There are no trick or treaters in my condo complex, and if there are, I'm not here.

Jongfan
10-27-2006, 04:40 AM
I ususally spend too much because I buy it so late, if I buy it too early it gets eaten by a teen chocoholic in my home

poetinahat
10-27-2006, 04:49 AM
I'll buy one, but nobody will come by. Only a few hardy souls even attempt trick-or-treating here; few people cater for it.

I miss Halloween. I'd have had a party for kids we know, but our son's birthday was last week, and we've had a long run of weekends with kids' birthday parties. I didn't plan for a Halloween party.

Next year, I'll do that. I want to bob for apples; it's been decades.

Mom'sWrite
10-27-2006, 04:55 AM
I bought 0 bags of candy for Halloween

We live at the top of a very steep hill and the wee ghosts and goblins can't make the climb.

(It's also a fabulous deterrent for door-to-door sales and sundry religious zealots.)

We take the kids to the Halloween festival put on by our town. I love this place. They even truck in snow for the kids to play in every year.

TsukiRyoko
10-27-2006, 04:56 AM
I'm making antifreeze taffy. Et vous?

Susie
10-27-2006, 05:32 AM
We just bought two bags of candy, though not many kids on our block and they usually don't ring our bell. We got tootsie rolls and banana pops, wrapped. If no one comes around, we get to eat 'em. Like we need an excuse. haha.

expatbrat
10-27-2006, 05:46 AM
What's this Halloween thing you talk of?

It is Loy Krathong next week - this is where you get a pretty flower thingy and stick in 3 burning incense and float away all your bad luck, bad health and bad happiness and get good luck, health and happiness in exchange. It this Halloween thing similar?

;-)

Mom'sWrite
10-27-2006, 06:03 AM
What's this Halloween thing you talk of?

It is Loy Krathong next week - this is where you get a pretty flower thingy and stick in 3 burning incense and float away all your bad luck, bad health and bad happiness and get good luck, health and happiness in exchange. It this Halloween thing similar?

;-)

I'm not sure of the historical beginnings of Halloween. You can probably just google those to your heart's content. But nowadays, Halloween is where all the neighborhood kids dress in costumes and go door-to-door begging for their next sugar high.

It used to be a major event when I was a kid. There was little to no adult supervision and we ran wild in the streets for one night a year. Now kids don't leave the house without body armor and a mace-carrying adult.

The little littles are especially adorable in their costumes.

Vincent
10-27-2006, 06:09 AM
None, not many kids doing it here in Aussie. I used to see a few influenced by The Simpsons, but lately...

I'll have a jar of pickles on hand, anyway.

writerterri
10-27-2006, 06:13 AM
..will you buy for Halloween?
I bought 14.

Dang, I'm sending my kids to your house.

We don't buy candy, we get candy from the neighbors. :D That's 3 kids, 3 pillow cases and about 3 hours of walking around. You do the math. We had candy at Christmas last year still uneaten.

Now here's my beef. If all the good cany is gone just before halloween, how come my kids come home with mostly bummer candy? Huh? Cause you guys eat all the good stuff and hand out the smartees and tootsi pops.

Sweet tarts, those should be banned. Not one of my kids eats those. We through out about a pound of those.

Smartees, who invented those? You should only be allowed to hand out

two rolls of those per neighborhood. Along with DumDum's.

WTHII candy, what the heck is it? Throw it out!

LYCNA--last years candy no body ate. Should be banned. Last year we
got Tootsie Rolls you could shoot a dear with. What's up with that?

Apples? Pa-leese. Coat them in caramel and roll them in M&M's.

Raisins, not so bad. But could you keep them in the box, please?!!!

One year a man was handing out baggies of raisins, catchup packets and pretzles. Eww!

Eveningsdawn
10-27-2006, 08:03 AM
Five. All gone. (Kids trick-or-treat in our dorms)

expatbrat
10-27-2006, 03:25 PM
One year a man was handing out baggies of raisins, catchup packets and pretzles. Eww!

Is that suspose to be Ketchup packets? Like the tomato sauce packets you get on your pizza or at McDonalds? That is too funny. *insert funny smilie here*

oooh - and ummm - sorry.... I really did know what hallaween is... I've even take part once. I was in Canada and we gave out cool lollies to all the kids (lollies is such a cooler word than candy )

K1P1
10-27-2006, 03:27 PM
We take the kids to the Halloween festival put on by our town. I love this place. They even truck in snow for the kids to play in every year.

Snow for Halloween?

K1P1
10-27-2006, 03:29 PM
Sweet tarts, those should be banned. Not one of my kids eats those. We through out about a pound of those.

Smartees, who invented those? You should only be allowed to hand out

two rolls of those per neighborhood. Along with DumDum's.

I love Sweet Tarts and Smartees. Let's get together after the kids are in bed and swap! Who wants to join us?

alleycat
10-27-2006, 03:38 PM
I bought two, but I'm guessing I won't need any. Where I live, Trick-or-Treating isn't what it once was. Sign of the times . . . if you have to take your kid's candy to be x-rayed to make sure it's safe, it kind of takes the fun out of it.

Bmwhtly
10-27-2006, 03:45 PM
I bought none. Firstly because the cold weather has arrived and it's freezing up here.
Secondly the neighbourhood I live in is... well, it's not the sort of place you want to take your kid after dark (apparently hookers wont treat and charge for a trick). Even in warm weather.

Maryn
10-27-2006, 04:09 PM
I bought 4. If we have a trickle of kids similar to last year's, that's 2 too many.

We're the first house in the newer part of the subdivision--the part constructed without sidewalks or streetlights. Even with pumpkins lit and porch light on, traffic is pretty light.

Maryn, whose pumpkin is molding--dang it, carved too early!

E_B
10-27-2006, 06:28 PM
Yes sir, Yes sir, three bags full.

:e2bouncey

MidnightMuse
10-27-2006, 06:43 PM
I'm a party-poop on Halloween - turn off the lights, don't answer the door. Actually very VERY few kids go door to door in my neighborhood any more. And there's a community center one block down from my house, where all kids can go and play games and get all the free candy they want, to keep them off the streets.

That said, I buy 2 bags and regret it in the morning :D

Stacia Kane
10-27-2006, 08:12 PM
We haven't bought any. They don't trick-or-treat here. :(

CaroGirl
10-27-2006, 08:33 PM
I bought two boxes of mini chocolate bars (half of one box is, ahem, missing) and a box of bags of mini chips. We get about 80 kids Halloween night. I live on a street in the suburbs where the houses are about an inch apart. My street alone has hundreds of houses on it.

I think I need more candy to give out, so I can keep the good stuff for myself.

I'll go through my kids' bags after they go to bed and take out all the real crap that no one should even consider eating, and give that out to the drunk teenagers who aren't even wearing a costume and ring the bell after 9 pm.

writerterri
10-27-2006, 09:36 PM
Is that suspose to be Ketchup packets? Like the tomato sauce packets you get on your pizza or at McDonalds? That is too funny. *insert funny smilie here*

oooh - and ummm - sorry.... I really did know what hallaween is... I've even take part once. I was in Canada and we gave out cool lollies to all the kids (lollies is such a cooler word than candy )

The ones from McDonalds. I thought it was hilarious.

writerterri
10-27-2006, 09:39 PM
I love Sweet Tarts and Smartees. Let's get together after the kids are in bed and swap! Who wants to join us?

Sure thang, Darling! You can have them all.

Jack_Roberts
10-27-2006, 10:10 PM
We'll buy one becuase we'll be out trick or treating with the little ones during most the evening.

Jack_Roberts
10-27-2006, 10:13 PM
Snow for Halloween?

We get it out here some years. It snowed yesterday but it melted faster than a witch on the beach.

Tracy
10-27-2006, 10:34 PM
The history of Hallow'een:

It's based on the Celtic/Irish festival of Samhain (pronounced Sow-wen) when the veil between this world and the other world opened for one night and all sorts of nasties walked the world (hence all the dressing up now).

The Christian church kinda appropriated it (as they did with many festivals, it's no coincidence that Christmas happens so close to the winter solstice) and declared the 1st of Nov as All Saints' Day (or All Hallows Day, hence the 31st being Hallow E'en, i.e. Hallow's Eve), and the 31st of October as All Souls' Day, i.e. the link with the dead again. The souls in question were those poor sods in Purgatory, that half-way house between heaven and hell. We were always told as children that if you went to enough churches and prayed in them you could release some of those poor souls from Purgatory and send them winging their way to heaven. God the responsibility.

Anyway, the bonfires started because of trying to keep light to keep the nasties away.

We have fireworks in Ireland at this time, which has no link with anything except that the British celebrate Guy Fawkes on the 5th of November with fireworks and we obviously thought we'd like some fireworks too!

I do remember as a child going from house to house saying "Help the Halloween Party", and getting fruit and peanuts in their shells, but now everybody says "Trick or Treat" which is an import from America. They don't even realise, I think, the implied threat in that statement! They do expect sweets only, however, or perhaps money, and people who live in less salubrious places than I do report that fruit would be thrown against the door if offered.

The fire brigade hate this time of year and pray for rain. As do pet owners.

Carrie in PA
10-27-2006, 10:34 PM
At least 17 bags.

We get 4 trick-or-treaters. :tongue

writerterri
10-27-2006, 11:24 PM
At least 17 bags.

We get 4 trick-or-treaters. :tongue

Ah, makes for good eatin'!

Pat~
10-28-2006, 02:56 AM
One. I just bought it today...Snickers. I always buy that because I have a terrific Snicker Salad recipe that I make with all the candy that doesn't get passed out. We hardly get any trick or treaters anymore; the 'kids' in the neighborhood are now mostly in high school, plus we live in a spread out neighborhood (houses an acre or more apart)...so kids have to do a lot of walking to fill up their bags over here.

ETA: Snicker Salad

Left over Snicker bars, chopped up fine
Chopped up apples
Cool Whip

Mix all together (in amounts desired). Your kids will love this.

allion
10-28-2006, 04:48 AM
I buy it November 1 when it goes half-price or less. :)

We don't give out candy. I am mean and we have few children who live on our street, so anyone knocking on our door is an interloper just trying to snag a freebie. Go away and leave me to my bite-size chocolate bars in peace.

Karen

CBeasy
10-28-2006, 05:33 AM
Did you hide them well?

Ditto

A. Hamilton
10-28-2006, 10:41 AM
Tsk tsk, can't imagine not liking Smarties or Tootsie Pops.
We bought two or three bags of each. But Reeses Peanut Butter Cups are the hot one here, and why I hide the candy ahead.

samgail
10-29-2006, 11:26 AM
My SO gets sick once a year on the weekend before halloween . We go to a huge local candy sale and stock up, and then go trick-or-treating at the Uni residence hall "The Tower". We do all 17 floors. Every other floor there is a game or activity and it is just spooky enough to have the girls grabbing my legs and my little alien boy thirsting for more ghoul. Before we went tonight he got out the red makeup pencil and we drew in bloody gashes and made our eyes red. I line the inside of my eyelid and it FREAKS my kids out. I wore a black pageboy wig with blood in it (okay really it is the pink highlights from when I went as Kelly Osbourn). Anyway we get tons of candy. The combined number of Reeses Peanut Butter Cups we bring home-he and my son eat them-all of them. I bought the fear factor candy for trick-or-treaters. You don't know which extreme flavor it is going to be.
I also buy a bag of snickers for the freezer. The breakfast of champions-2 mini snickers and an ice cold diet coke. I also bought two bags of super juicy-squirt-gooey-stuff bubble gum. Two bags of sweet tarts-one chewy, the other one classic, one butterfinger for the freezer, crunch bars for SO's sack lunches, Nerds, Kit Kat, and hershey's miniatures. I also buy pounds of M&Ms-both varietys to mix with pounds of salty sweet peanuts.
Candy corn, how could I forget candy corn? Round foil wrapped chocolates with different filling-caramel, peanut butter and chocolate fudge-all diguised as eyeballs. My secret stash is a bag of insanely good dark chocolate that is best in moderation and my lifesaver this time of year. If you use the secret AW knock when you trick or treat at my house I will send some home for you disguised in a raisin box. Bring on the kiddos, we are ready. Great thread P.H.,
Sam

alleycat
10-29-2006, 12:11 PM
Uh, oh. I've already eaten one of the bags of candy I bought (Mars minis). :-(

I'm so bad . . .

JennaGlatzer
10-29-2006, 12:19 PM
About 4-5 bags, though we get few kids here, too. Man, I miss old Halloween, when my friends and I would walk for miles and come home with bags full of stuff and trade all night! I ended up with all the mini Crunch bars and Kit Kats.

My main dilemma this year is a costume. I always wear one. I really look forward to it. This year... I'm pregnant. They don't make a lot of costumes for pregnant ladies! At least, not funny/interesting/unusual ones. I found a great "bun in the oven" costume, but it was nearly $50 and I just couldn't justify it, considering I'm not even going anywhere.

I'll have to make something, but no idea what. Suggestions welcome!

alleycat
10-29-2006, 12:28 PM
My main dilemma this year is a costume. I always wear one. I really look forward to it. This year... I'm pregnant. They don't make a lot of costumes for pregnant ladies! At least, not funny/interesting/unusual ones. I found a great "bun in the oven" costume, but it was nearly $50 and I just couldn't justify it, considering I'm not even going anywhere.

I'll have to make something, but no idea what. Suggestions welcome!
You could wear a pair of low-riding jeans and go as a beer-bellied plumber. ;-) Just kidding! Don't ban me!

How 'bout using an old t-shirt and drawing a strange picture in an oval on the stomach area of the "baby beneath". Say, an elf baby, or a "cat baby". Or draw a turtle on it; maybe make the turtle head out of something else.

samgail
10-29-2006, 01:00 PM
here you go Jenna (http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j10/mvandal/BestCostume.jpg)

SpookyWriter
10-29-2006, 01:05 PM
I'll have to make something, but no idea what. Suggestions welcome!nope...sorry, but I tried...and couldn't come up with anything.

A. Hamilton
10-29-2006, 08:19 PM
My secret stash is a bag of insanely good dark chocolate that is best in moderation and my lifesaver this time of year. If you use the secret AW knock when you trick or treat at my house I will send some home for you disguised in a raisin box. Bring on the kiddos, we are ready. Great thread P.H.,
Sam
Tap tap tap, thud thud?

Ol' Fashioned Girl
10-29-2006, 08:42 PM
We stopped giving out candy the year the gang members showed up at the door - all 6' tall and beteen 18 and 20 years old - with pillow cases and voices lower than my husbands demanding 'Trick or Treat!'.

We did not, however, stop buying candy. 6 bags, to answer the original question. :)