Okay I must be doing something terribly wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

janetmdavis

I have been trying to get anyone to just look at my fiction mystery for 1.5 years. I have a book completed and another half done, but am getting frustrated (and I know thats the name of the game). Last Dec. I got a publisher to look at my novel and they said lets sign a contract. I even went to a lawyer for confirmation and then signed a contract but found out later it was a scam. I didn't give them any money, just my pride.
Anyway, I've been following the guidelines of the Writers Market about not sending the novel, but query first. I get back rejections that say they aren't interested before they even read 1 line of my book. Is this the way it is or do you just send part of your novel with query anyway?

Help in Texas

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I'm afraid to say that your query is probably not sufficiently intriguing.
Have you tried posting it in the 'Share Your Work' part of this forum? It may be initially painful as the folk here tear into it, but in the long run it is less painful than a sheaf of rejections.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
janet, I expect you'll find that people will spare your feelings while improving your query letter. Serious support here, you know?

Maryn, pleased to meet you

wordmonkey

ook
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writingmonkey.com
Went through a similar thing. Totally reworked my letter with the very kind help of an author and bang, immediately got requests.

Just remember, for as long as you have worked on that mss, it all comes down to a letter that will have a paragraph to sum up your masterpiece.

Requires a lot of work.

Status
Not open for further replies.