Address the Assistant?

Maprilynne

Author Waiting in the Wings
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.powerfulbirth.com
I recieved a request today from a big agent's aassistant. My question is, do I address my cover letter to the assistant or the agent? The Rejector says that even when she sends the letter, she is not the one requesting the partial, she is just doing the receptionist thing. But this letter says (in the assistant's point of view) I would like to read some of it, please sent it to me, I look forward to it . . . etc. (Italics were added by me.) It also says to send it to her attention. So do I write back to her or to the agents? It sound to me like I should address it to her, but I don't want to be rude or anything.

Maprilynne

HorrorWriter

It's a new dawn. It's a new day.
Registered
Reaction score
In your closet with the Boogeyman's corpse!
Mapril,
If she asked you to put it to her attention, then that is what you should do. It's not being rude to the agent. He/she will know that their assistant requested it. It's no big deal. Don't sweat the small stuff. I received a request for a partial from a different agent than the one I queried. Just send it to the assistant because they are the first line of defense. Address it to her! Good luck! :Thumbs:

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Maprilynne said:
It sound to me like I should address it to her, but I don't want to be rude or anything.
Absolutely address it to the assistant who requested it. It would be more rude not to. Not to mention, what if it were addressed to the agent and opened by a different assistant who didn't know what you were talking about?

Plus, there are assistants and assistants. Some may be secretaries answering mail; others may be more like agents in training who have the full respect and confidence of their boss.

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
When the assistant to the agent I signed with asked for my full I addressed it to the assistant and made it clear the original query was to the agent as I included the original query. Of course all this was done via email - The assistant had their own email address. Like horror writer says - don't sweat the small stuff.

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
one of my fulls was requested by an assistant. i addressed subsequent email correspondences to both, if that helps.

i put the assistant's name first, though.

RainbowDragon

Perpetuous Revisasaurus
Registered
Reaction score
Be nice to all assistants - not just because they may be agents one day but because it's best to be nice to everyone anyway! Address it to whomever is kind enough to offer to spend their time to read your MS. . .and thank them profusely!!