Help me pick a title?

Status
Not open for further replies.

veingloree

Hi, I've almost finished my second book and need to stop calling it 'Book 2'. So just for fun, which of these grabs you as the title of a fantasy adventure with a bit of romance thrown in.

I spent a while calling it: 'Ahriman and the Knight of White lady Tor.' But then I changed Ahriman's name to 'Garwolf' because Ahriman is a name for the devil and he isn't a devil anymore but a ... never mind. that files are all still called 'Ahriman'

I though I might call it: 'King of Dragons, King of Men'. But that is a bit cliche and there are no dragons at all in the book until the very end.

I also thought I might call it: 'The Regent's Bridle'. But that might be misleading as there is no regent, and this name refers to a magical statye which is called 'the Regent's Bridle' for rather convoluted reasons...

[sigh]

65,000 words written now -- in the home stretch!

ChunkyC

Vein ... my 2 cents....

The first one seems too long, plus Tor is a big time publisher, so having that in a title would be distracting to some readers.

Of the three, I like the 'feel' of The Regent's Bridle. If this is the name of something in the book that the reader will come across and understand, then it's okay if there's no person with the title 'Regent' in the story.

However, this 'Bridle' should have a prominent place in the story if it is to be in the title. It doesn't have to appear throughout, such as the Ring in LOTR, as long as it's existence is crucial to the plot.

HConn

Go with 'King of Dragons, King of Men'

It may be a little cliche, but it's better than the others. If it isn't good enough, the publisher will change it.

Risseybug

Hey there, vg. I like "The Regent's Bridle" myself. Just sounds good.

Tiellan

Knowing absolutely nothing about the story itself, I'd pick The Regent's Bridle for a few reasons. It's short -- short is good, it's easy to say and easy to remember. It's somewhat unusual sounding, so it sticks in my mind (and it's not cliche). It doesn't tell me too much about the book, so it doesn't prejudice me against the book, and it leaves a little room to wonder what this book would be about. Personally, I prefer that the title should have some significance to the story, which might be a weakness with this title, but you know more about that than I would!

If the editor thinks the story's great but the title stinks, she'll change it anyway, so just pick someting that sounds catchy to you and submit away! :)

HConn

On first reading, I thought "Bridle" was "Bride;" I thought it was a regency romance.

Then I noticed the "L" and thought it was a bondage romance. :)

Readers love dragons. I think they're a selling point.

CindyBidar

Well, since you asked...

I don't like the first one because I'm not sure how Ahriman is pronounced, and I dislike (and consequently don't buy) any book who's title--or character/place names--I cannot pronounce. It's one of my pet peeves in fantasy. :grr Changing the name to Garwolf did improve it, but it remains a bit long and unwieldy.

The third one made me think of horses. I don't know if that was your intent, so take it for what it's worth.

The second one is the best of the three, IMO, but I'm still not real enamored of it. However, like several others have said, it'll probably get changed before it goes to print anyway, so don't sweat it.

Big congrats on the "almost finished" part, though! :thumbs

Cindy

legendone

:party
can't help this Vein.
What about "The search for the Glorious Vein?"
:hug Sorry about that.

Risseybug

How 'bout just "King of Dragons" ? or just "Knight of the White Bride"?

veingloree

Hmm. The plot you see very gradually reveals that there are dragons and that the protagonist is destined to be their king, (on about the lest 10 pages). But what actually happens is lots of intriguing and running around in a pseudo medieval fantasy world without much ostensible magic in it in which dragon are though to be mythical -- and the main characters don't know what the hell is going on most of the time... So I don't want the title to give too much away.

I think I may provisionally opt for the regent's bridle -- as you say it can be chaged later...

ChunkyC

This discussion reminded me that a friend once told me a working title should be something that helps get you in the proper frame of mind for writing that particular piece. As others have mentioned, it will be finalized once a publisher buys it.

Risseybug

Sorry, I meant "Knight of the White Lady".

How about "Knight of the Regent's Bridle?" Or "King of the Bridled Dragons"? perhaps "Dragon's King of Men"?

Ok, now I'm just being silly. Which is probably why I write for children.

ChunkyC

Hey Rissey, if it wasn't for folks like you who write for kids, they wouldn't grow up to be adults who hopefully will buy books written by folks like me. :grin So, thanks in advance!

robertquiller

"The Regent's Bridle" is definately the best. In my experience, the bleeping editor will probably change the title anyhow, but that one has the best chance of getting past him.

~ R.Q.

Writing Again

Hello again, VG, how be? Long time no see.

If I had no titile after writing that much of a novel I would probly just name it after the hero. Perhaps give him a residence.

"John Carter, Warlord of Mars" always seemed a clever enough title to me.

veingloree

The hero is called William, I have been thinking of changing that too...

JohannaJ7

I like the name William for a fantasy hero. In my opinion, there are too many "Murghar Elorion Eagleclaw the Godly Dragonslayer of Arachtag'Molagaria, the City of Light" types in fantasy. At least with a William you'll be somewhat surprised when he slays/befriends the dragon and rescues the perky heroine.

Risseybug

Yep...

William is a nice, classic name. Is he the first born son in his family (or do you mention it at all)? Then his name is fitting - for long ago, all first born sons were named William.

veingloree

Re: Yep...

He is an only son, but being an illegitimate royal son I suddenly wondered whether the name of a current British prince was a very good idea... I am probably over-thinking

Writing Again

How about a small pun on a William in history.

Lets see, there was William of Orange, William the Conquerer, to name two.

Or even a take off on some of the American heros of the west. Wild Bill Hickock, Buffalo Bill.

Not too blatanta mind you, just enough to give a feel of familiarity.

Wild William of Burgandy

Sweet William the Condemned

The War of Dragon William.

You get the general idea. Either mental sparks fly or not.

maestrowork

Instead of story or character, what is the themes of your book? Perhaps that might inspire some good titles.

veingloree

Basically it can be read as a simple fantasy quest for a magical gate into a world of dragons -- but for the protagonist the theme is that in the beginning he makes a decision he considers so bad and immoral that it can never be forgiven. He explores various options, becoming evil, sacrificing him self for his friends, blaming another and getting revenge on them... in the end he finally tells the person most effected by his choice and they forgive him. So, lots of angst, not very many dragons.

Status
Not open for further replies.