Fun stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lori Basiewicz

Uruviel Númenessë and Lily Bolger, respectively.

Not quite certain how to pronounce the elven name.

ShinyPenguin

Nessa of Dorthonion (elven) & Ruby Brandybuck of Buckland (hobbit). I kind of like the evish one.

maestrowork

Ereinion Helyanwë
Samwise Foxburr of Loamsdown

(that prompts me to ask: why do elves have Scandinavian-sounding names and Hobbits have English-sounding names? I mean, these creatures are from a world different than ours, right? :b )

allion

Elvish:
Inwë Palantír

Hobbit:
Esmerelda Bramble of Willowbottom

And in answer to the question, why Elves sound Scandanavian and the Hobbits are Anglized, it comes down to what languages Tolkien studied and wrote about at Oxford.

I recommend The Languages of Tolkien's Middle-Earth by Ruth S. Noel for a start. Great start to learn where the linguistics come from in a mythology.

Elyse

Elvish and Hobbit Names

Elvish Name:
Galadriel Saralonde

Hobbit Name
Lobelia Burrows

Cool!

Yeshanu

Re: Elvish and Hobbit Names

Well, I guess everyone has been waiting for me to join in here...

Andúnë Celebrindal

and

Esmereldat Bumbleroot of Fair Downs

Hmm. I did tell you I'm an elf, not a hobbit, didn't I? :D

annied

My husband and I were curious to see what our names would be.

My name (Elven) Idril Elanesse"
(Hobbit) Daisy Hardbottle

Robert's name (Elven) Eo"l Elanesse"
(Hobbit) Grigory Hardbottle

Hardbottle???? What a name! LOL :rofl

Annie

Risseybug

Elf - Idril Mithrandir

Hobbit - Daisy Boffin of Whitfurrows.

I bookmarked that one, it's cool!

Kida Adelyn

Celebriän Celebrindal or Orangeblossom Bumbleroot of Fair Downs

If your interested in more elvish this is a wonderfull sight I found.

Tel'Mithrim - Language Resources
:grin I have to much time on my hands.
Lissenen ar' maska'lalaith tenna' lye omentuva

maestrowork

I have to much time on my hands.

I'm telling Barb! She has the whip ready for you. I can hear her now:

WRITE!

auntiebebo22

ELF: Naesse Mithrandir

Hobbit: Bella Boffin of Whitfurrows

Sounds like my hobbit's morals may be questionable - lol

Flawed Creation

regarding language

while middle earth Is a fictitious world, it's awfully difficult to coem up with names that don't sound at all like any earthly tongue.

sci-fi writer's are often forced to, and the respond either by simply saying the name was completely untranscribable, or by piling a whole bunch of consonants up with no explanation of how they're to be pronounced. occasionaly, this is reversed, giving names like uaoeeii and eaaaoi

usually, though you get jyndrrks or trnmvudfg

in fantasy, it's less crucia that they sound alien, so people generaly draw on languages other than the languager they write in. this makes it easily possible to distinguish the different cultures of the world, and can provide a clue to the nature of the culture. desert peoples often have arabic-sounding names, and latin is genrealy reserved for ancient beings... germanic names seem often for warlike peoples...
writer's eploit the associations in the readers mind with certain sounds.

Nyki27

Re: regarding language

Personally I prefer not to get too like an existing language, because then it's difficult to separate the invented culture from the real one. That's all very well if you're going to be thorough-going about it, but so many fantasy writers just have a "sort-of-Celtic" or "sort-of-Viking" people, and it grates as soon as they introduce something different in the culture or the language.

What you can do is give a general feeling by giving names a phonology that's reminiscent of a language, without actually basing the structure on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.