Some thoughts on cinquains

Norman D Gutter

Engineer Sonneteer
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidatodd.com
I appreciate the nod poetinhat made to a comment I made via PM, but I am always hesitant to jump in on a game such as the cinquain train. The reason? I offer this cinquain to explain.

Shall We Cinquain?

Any
poet can make
each line break fall per specs,
but that just makes a reader say,
"So what?"

A train such as this typically results in a large number of inferior poems as to craft, as poets don't think about what the form is telling them, how the form and the words should work together. Here is something I wrote about cinquains a year ago, when some controversy arose about cinquains and whether the form had any value.

The cinquain form is somewhat unique, in that it can be traced back to one poet: Adelaide Crapsey. She wrote these in the late 1800s and early 1900s, before she met an untimely death at 36 years of age. Therefore, her cinquains were in a different era. She capitalized each line--would she do that now? She used diction appropriate to her times--would she modernize now? Hers were iambic--might she have experimented more with other meters if she had lived longer? I wish she had lived longer to better define her form, and see how she might have let it evolve, and to write a full instruction manual.

Of course, this is 2005 [now 2006], and we don't have to limit ourselves to what AC did, or speculate on what she might have done. The form somewhat speaks for itself. We know that the form is syllable based, although the editors at Amaze - The Cinquain Journal also say it can be stressed based: 22 syllables arranged in five lines of 2-4-6-8-2 respectively, or eleven stressed syllables arranged in five lines of 1-2-3-4-1 respectively. Also, AC insisted that cinquains should be in iambic meter (though AC herself did not rigorously stick to iambics). I suppose consideration can be given to relief feet, but in a short poem such as the cinquain they shouldn't be needed for the usual purposes. I have experimented with a trochaic cinquain sequence.

When working with any type of form, I try to see how the words and form ought to be combined to best advantage. It seems like the features of the form ought to be able to instruct us on how the form is best used. The obvious features of the cinquain are the gradually increasing line lengths, followed by a sudden decrease. But, the increasing syllable/stress count should clue us in that each line should increase in weight and importance--that is until the last line. I see these alternatives for what to do with the last line:

- a conclusion, after a peak in importance in L4
- a letdown, after a peak in tension in L4
- a throwback/inference to L1
- a volta (similar as to a sonnet), or change in direction/surprise ending in L5. This might also include word play, irony, or other similar devices.

As has been stated by others [in the forum this was originally posted on], the form itself is perhaps neither inherently good nor bad. It is suitable for some subjects, and unsuitable for others. It has challenges that other forms don’t. No, it can’t achieve the melodic rhythm of a nicely crafted sonnet. Nor can it have the repeating beauty of a villanelle. But it can maximize tension between lines. It can provide a sharp twist or turn or highlight the use of irony. It can demonstrate how brevity is sometimes superior to…the alternative. It can help the poet maximize wordsmithing talents by realy thinking about how the words are used and how they fit and are enhanced by the form. It seems like it is one more form to add to the poet’s toolbox. If you don’t like it, don’t use it. I don’t like free verse, and I don’t use it. Perhaps someday I’ll grow up and add free verse to my toolbox. I do like the challenge that cinquains give, writing metrical verse that maximizes the use of line breaks and seeks to select subject, phrases, and words that fit the form—or that the form fits.

Best Regards,
NDG

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bound wrists
constrictor clamp
compress my lungs, breathless
I flail and struggle to break loose
free verse

You mentioned a ramp of imagery and then . . . irony . . .

Actually, this is not meant as a pointed comment, I'm just poking a little fun, which also seems to be well within the limits of this form. I, for one, really appreciate your take on cinquains, and feel the attention to the history of the form and the formal views on its construction are extremely useful. Remember, however, many people who post here are novice poets with no formal training. We are just finding our legs by putting our words and thoughts out here for view and for comment. The more formal restrictions (or not) will come with time, practice, and instructional experience. You and Rob have ramped up interest in the cinquain. That's victory number one. The response will be rough from some of us at first, but give us time. Let us experiment. Those of us who move from being intrigued to being seriously interested will look into the form in more depth, and possibly produce something more to your liking. In the meantime, let all the flowers bloom. The information you have provided is much appreciated, and to be ironic (and teasing again), is the fertilizer that will help these flowers grow.

Last edited:

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, Norman, for introducing an excellent discussion topic. This, and James' recent thread on Haiku (link to be attached), could really help expand the Poetry Forum horizons.

Great post, Neuro. How better to discuss than with gentle humor (and a deft poem)?

I've tried working within forms such as the cinquain to improve my ability to work within confined space, which in turn makes my blank verse better. I enjoy working with both structured and blank verse; I'm not choosing either one over the other, though there's no guarantee for tomorrow.

But I find it fun, and a particular challenge, to see what these forms do to my voice.

I'm excited about having more discussion to go along with the poetry.

Norman D Gutter

Engineer Sonneteer
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidatodd.com
We are in agreement

Hi NF:

Thanks for posting to this thread.
NeuroFizz said:
Bound wrists
constrictor clamp
compress my lungs, breathless
I flail and struggle to break loose
free verse

You mentioned a ramp of imagery and then . . . irony . . .

Actually, this is not meant as a pointed comment, I'm just poking a little fun, which also seems to be well within the limits of this form. I, for one, really appreciate your take on cinquains, and feel the attention to the history of the form and the formal views on its construction are extremely useful.
My approach to poetry is one of learning. I lost so many years (as I will explain below) that I have to go about this intensively. I enjoy the games, and if games expands poets' minds and expose them to new forms, that is great. But there is more to all forms than normally meets the eye. Some poets, believing that poetry is merely self-expression, never try to learn, to grow, to progress to excellence, and have no interest in becoming published poets. And that's fine. This post is for those who want a bit more.

Remember, however, many people who post here are novice poets with no formal training.
As am I. I shunned all poetry for most of my life, deciding to look into it when I was eight months into my fiftieth year, and learning what I had been missing through my pigheadedness. Anything I learned about poetry I learned on my own, as an adult, from reliable Internet information and a bunch of textbooks picked up at used book stores.

We are just finding our legs by putting our words and thoughts out here for view and for comment.
That is one valid approach. People learn in different ways. Some people learn by doing, experimenting; some learn visually; some learn by auditory means; some by processing words on paper. I'm that type, and for others who are like me, this post is for them.
The more formal restrictions (or not) will come with time, practice, and instructional experience.
And when that time comes, this thread will be here, ready for all to use as a springboard for real study. I consider this post to be informative, but certainly not definitive. There is tons of information available on cinquains much better than this, most of it copyrighted (and thus cannot be copied here). I have some links, somewhere, but I couldn't find them. My work computer has been changed twice since I created my file of links, and I may have lost it. Cursed IT people!

You and Rob have ramped up interest in the cinquain. That's victory number one. The response will be rough from some of us at first, but give us time. Let us experiment. Those of us who move from being intrigued to being seriously interested will look into the form in more depth, and possibly produce something more to your liking. In the meantime, let all the flowers bloom. The information you have provided is much appreciated, and to be ironic (and teasing again), is the fertilizer that will help these flowers grow.
Again, thanks,
NDG