Rejected by PublishAmerica

Sam Champie

Registered
Reaction score
I know this is a good thing, given their reputation, but still it stings when an outfit with a very low rejection rate, adds your name to the few that they issue rejection emails.

Oh, well I was going to reject any offer they made anyway, after the enlightenment I have received here on this forum.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
You beat me to it. Yeah, they either recognized you or feared your use of commas... :)

LeeFlower

Lurker Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annalee.dreamwidth.com
My guess is they randomly reject every thirtieth person in an effort to glue down their peeling veneer of legitimacy.

That, or they googled you and found out you hang out here :) [EDIT: Deadlyaccurate and PeeDee both beat me to it].

Sam Champie

Registered
Reaction score
or maybe my stories are above their intelligence ... they are rated 7th grade level by Flesch-Kincid. LOL!

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Sam Champie said:
I know this is a good thing, given their reputation, but still it stings when an outfit with a very low rejection rate, adds your name to the few that they issue rejection emails.

Oh, well I was going to reject any offer they made anyway, after the enlightenment I have received here on this forum.

Publish America is a publishing house the way an aardvark is a bathtub.

Being rejected by them means absolutely nothing.

K_Woods

9 of 10 Overlords prefer Evil Pie!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
web.itctel.com
Bartholomew said:
Publish America is a publishing house the way an aardvark is a bathtub.

Being rejected by them means absolutely nothing.

Curse you, now I want an aardvark bathtub!

Doesn't PA also have a set number of queries they'll accept per day, or has that changed?

(Which reminds me, I need to continue reading Atlanta Nights. That thing is a riot!)

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
The above poster is correct. PA has a daily quota of manuscripts they accept. If you'd sent it in early the next day, you would have gotten one of those "we're giving your book the chance it deserves" letters that sends such rapture into the hearts of the easily-deluded and/or Google-ignorant. Yep, you missed the bullet with them. Good for you, bad for them!

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
K_Woods said:
(Which reminds me, I need to continue reading Atlanta Nights. That thing is a riot!)

Read it out loud, as dramatically as possible, with gestures. It's loads of fun.

(Probably, you should wait 'till you're alone, though.)

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
PeeDee said:
Read it out loud, as dramatically as possible, with gestures. It's loads of fun.

Do that, especially with Chapter 34.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Alan Yee said:
Do that, especially with Chapter 34.

Only funny if taken in context with chapter 2 from the holy tome. :)

Sam Champie

Registered
Reaction score
Let me clear up one issue, so I don't look stupid ... I submitted to PA after reading their ad ... I found out about this forum a week later. I am not sure what method PA uses to accept manuscripts and I not sure they do either. The whole outfit sounds like a bunch of kids with big dreams of making millions by discovering the next great author. They operate on limited funds and make money by selling books to the author.

I have discovered my books paid to publish by me by eBookTime have greater coverage. Only drawback is the difficultity of getting them on bookstore shelves and getting the price down lower.

My goal is to get my stories about my inner ear disorder out there ... the public needs to know the truth. The internet is full of BAD INFO. I thought by writing entertaining novels, I could accomplish my goals. I don't care about making the big bucks or fame, but I feel it is a writers responsibility to share stories even if they are against the main flow. Maybe this is why PA rejected me ... my exposing the multi million dollar racket called Meniere's disease.

janetbellinger

Registered
Reaction score
DeadlyAccurate said:
There's a very good possibility they rejected you because they recognized your name here.

Yeah, that would do it. Also, they may have guessed that you wouldn't be buying enough of your own books to suit them.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
They could also be cutting staff down there in Frederick. The number of books they can accept depends on the number of hours in a day times the staff on hand. If they have 30 "editors" they'll accept 75-90 books per week (the first 18 books to come in the door). If they have 60 "editors" they'll accept up to 180 books a week. If they have 15 editors they'll only accept the first nine books to reach them on any given day.

Maddog

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe they are rejecting any non-fiction disease books for fear of lawsuits. Remember Cancer Boy, the author who wrote a book purporting to know how to prevent cancer?

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Don't despair. Word is that PA has started writing to folks they "rejected," asking whether the book is still available.

We've started to see reviews (in places that still do reviews of PA books) saying "This strikes a new low even for PublishAmerica" or words to that effect.

I think the word on PA is out, that most folks with reasonable manuscripts and any ability at all with Google know about PA and know to stand clear.

The "the author feels compelled to buy 50 copies" psychological trick still exists, even with folks who can barely read and certainly can't write, so don't count PA out just yet.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
James D. Macdonald said:
The "the author feels compelled to buy 50 copies" psychological trick still exists, even with folks who can barely read and certainly can't write, so don't count PA out just yet.

But...I want to. I look forward to the day when someone posts "And that's it. We're done." to the NeverEnding PublishAmerica thread.

bstevens

Registered
Reaction score
NONE of your experiences apply to me. Everyone has been wonderful. My book is great and I'm so happy. Even if they don't send me one royalty check I can make money selling my own books (more than they will pay) and I HAVEN'T BEEN out of dime. My only choice besides PA would have been one of those Jerk vanity publishers who wanted thousands UP FRONT or waste my time year after year quering those lousy traditional publishers who have no interest in anyone except politicians, movie stars or dinosaur writers with reputations.

PUBLISH AMERICA is doing a great thing for the unknown author. See my website at www.barbarastevensbooks.com

JanDarby

Registered
Reaction score
NONE of your experiences apply to me.

And that, in a nutshell, I'm afraid, is why PA will never close its doors.

JD