prologue critique

Status
Not open for further replies.

auntiebebo22

Hi thanks for taking a look. Some of you may have seen my previous posts on my book the Gathering. If not you can look back a few weeks on the listing for the latest version of the synopsis to see where i am going after this prologue.

If you don't look or are unfamiliar let me give you a brief idea of what this prologue means to the book.

It is the only earth bound scene in the book, and gives a little background on the main character and shows how he come to be struggling for his life in the ocean, which is where chapter 1 picks up. And he is no longer on earth as he knew it.

“Mayday! Mayday! Mayday! This is the Silkenmist, %%WORD85%I92!” George Thurman flinched as another lightning bolt lit up the raging sea. “Silkenmist %%WORD96%I92! Last known position 78 degrees west, 31 degrees north. Caught in storm - engine blown!” The ship crested a wave, and plunged down the far side. George, pitching forward nearly knocked his nephew Will away from his struggle with the ships’ wheel.
“Taking on too much water, becoming swamped, Mayday! For the love of god someone respond! Mayday!” George paused, willing a response to come through the crackling radio. Suddenly, the door to the wheelhouse crashed open as Craig stumbled through it.
“Steven’s leg is broken! I strapped him down and piled blankets on him – is there anything else I can do Uncle George?”
“By God, Craig! Where’s your life jacket? Go back and get it and don’t take it off again!” Craig whirled to head back below, just as the ship careened into a deep trough, and was flung sideways against the railing. Will rushed to his aid, while the wheel spun wildly, causing the ship to keel completely over to port. Will was flung into his brother, the sickening thud as their heads collided was lost in the rage of the storm. The last thing George saw of his younger nephew was the look of utter surprise on his face as he fell overboard.
Hitting the ice-cold water, Craig’s last thought was that his swimming medals weren’t going to help him now. Then mercifully he lost consciousness as the heavy seas pulled him down into its cold dark vortex.

Should i keep this as a prologue or simply start chapter 1 with it?

Thanks again for your time and your thoughts
:thumbs

ChunkyC

I assume this event bears on the rest of the story, so with that in mind:

I'd make it the opening scene of chapter one. Separate it from what comes next with a blank line (indicated in manuscript by # or # # #).

This is exciting stuff. In subsequent drafts I'd look at adding to it somewhat. Even if these characters never show up in the story again, showing us enough to care about them before Craig hits the water, will set the hook and draw the reader in.

maestrowork

I'd probably use it to start chapter 1. It's not so much a prologue, but a lead-in to your main story. Sure, you put it in a prologue but remember, some readers skip the prologue. It's short and enthralling enough that I think it can open your book.

auntiebebo22

Thanks for the opinions-- I think I might expand it with a line or two. Perhaps to show a very loving positive relationship without going over the top.

Constantly working on it.....Billie

Status
Not open for further replies.