First Annual AW Playwrighting Workshop

Mandy-Jane

venturing ever further into the unknown
Registered
Reaction score
I will complete a play this year! I will!
Okay. It had to happen. We've got one for Novels, one for Screenplays, one for Blogs - how about one for plays?

If anyone's interested, we can work out the specifics. What do you think?

Also, because November is taken up with NaScWrMo, and December is Christmas and January, people are often on holidays, we could hold it over until February. I don't know. These are just my random thoughts. I'd love to hear what you all think.

Mandy-Jane

Registered
Reaction score
Oh come on. Is the idea that bad? Anyone? Someone? Pleeeeease......

Just tell me you think it stinks. I don't mind. Anything.....

I hate being ignored and when I am, my out of control paranoia makes me think that nobody likes me.

Greasy Spoon

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Mandy-Jane

I for one wasn't ignoring you, I just haven't been to the board in a few days. :)

Anyway, I think it's a good idea - NaNoWriMo has worked well for me in the past, so I'd love to try it with a play. February sounds doable, I think...

As for specifics, I would think we'd be aiming for an estimated run-time rather than a wordcount. Or, what did you have in mind?

Also, with February being so far from now, we could try and do some theme-posting in the other months to build up to it. Like, December could be all about structure and writing for the stage, and January could be about outlining and flushing out characters and such...

I dunno, those are my thoughts. Anybody else?

Cat Scratch

The Peacock Next Door
Registered
Reaction score
I think it sounds like a worth goal. Daring that you're choosing the shortest month of the year, but I think we're up for the challenge. I've had a couple of play ideas rattling around in my head that I need to focus on, but immediate projects stand in the way. This sounds great!

Mandy-Jane

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Now I feel much happier.

I forgot February was the shortest month. Still I think that's okay. It's only a couple of days anyway.

I was thinking maybe just a One-Act Play with a running time of say 20 - 25 minutes; something around that?

The theme-posting sounds really good. I hadn't even thought of anything like that.

I'm thinking we wait a few more days and see if there's any further interest, then we start working on the specifics.

Now I'm getting excited!

Cat Scratch

The Peacock Next Door
Registered
Reaction score
Since I already have a play outlined I'd rather not do it by theme or length (this will be a full-length). It might be a good idea to have participant options, for those who want to do it either way.

Mandy-Jane

Registered
Reaction score
That's a good idea. I don't really know what the rules are with this sort of thing (or if you make your own). Are we able to have options on those kinds of things? Or do we have to follow the rules we set at the start? I'm hoping someone who's done this before will give us some clues.

Vincent

Cheers
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I'd do it.

I just wish there was a place on the board to workshop plays.

Mandy-Jane

Registered
Reaction score
beezle said:
I just wish there was a place on the board to workshop plays.

So do I! I know workshopping's more of a "do in person" thing, but surely we could set up a workshopping/critiquing section. If we can, I would definitely be involved.

Anyone else?

Vincent

Cheers
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Looks like we're the only ones, Mandy.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
playwriting critique board?

Hi folks,

As you know the Script Writing forum has a Screenwriting Critique Board sub-forum where WIP loglines and script pages are posted for feedback.

If you're interested in having a similar sub-forum for Playwriting then speak up! :) In the meantime, feel free to post pages in the Playwriting forum (maybe with suitable wording in the subject line, e.g. "Feedback wanted - name of play, act #" or any other variant that tells readers you're clearly looking for critique). Any message threads can easily be moved if a sub-forum is set up.

Think it over, have a mull, let me know what you'd like. :)

-Derek
My Web Page - sci-fi, fantasy, horror, cyborgs, AIs, dragons, vampyres.
I once fought two days with an arrow through my testicle.

Greasy Spoon

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure how often I'd post plays for critique, but I'd certainly be happy to provide comments for those who were looking for them, be it in a separate sub-forum or just as individual threads on this forum.

As for NaPlWrMo and the "rules", we could say that people can aim for whatever run-time they like, but they have to declare their intent before they start writing. Sort of like the "submission pledge" a number of members on this board took for this year, where they all set their own goal.

So, the only "rules" would be that
1) You could do all the outlining and planning you wanted, but you couldn't start writing your actual script until February 1st
2) Before you started writing (either on the first, or whenever else during that month for late-starters) you had to post the intended runtime for your NaPlWriMo script in a thread we'd have just for that purpose.

There'd be no rules about theme or anything, and your runtime could be as short or as long as you liked, which may also help us attract some playwriting virgins from elsewhere on the board. ("C'mon, a whole month to write ten minutes? Give it a go!")

That's my suggestion. *shrug*

Any others?

Vincent

Cheers
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
The point of NaNoWriMo is really to push the writer to get down those 50,000 words, no matter what. So I think with a NaPlWrMo, I'd want to see something along those lines. Obviously not in word count, but perhaps in pages? 50,000 is on the shorter side of a full length novel, so... I don't know, a one act play of at least an hour?

I know you wanted shorter than that, but it's the prompt to 'get it written' that I like about NaNoWriMo. And I wouldn't mind being pushed to at last write a full one act'er.

Just a thought.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
You could just share November with us. We're sharing it with nano. That way you can all start on Wednesday and share in the madness. :D

Mandy-Jane

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, but no way. I need time to get myself psyched for this. Also, I'm a procrastinator, and doing something spur of the moment like this would just upset my warped and unbalanced mind.

What does anyone else think?

Cat Scratch

The Peacock Next Door
Registered
Reaction score
I still like Feb. for selfish reasons (a few big projects taking priority right now), and the rules Greasy Spoon outlined sound good. I think a page limit intention statement from the beginning would be nice, that way there is something to be held accountable to.

As for a playwriting critique forum, I don't feel comfortable posting my work in a public forum like this one, but if anyone is interested in giving/receiving feedback via e-mail or something similar I'd definitely be up for that.

Sorry I didn't respond sooner, I don't check these boards every day! (Another reason e-mail might work better for time-sensitive things like crits, etc.)

Mandy-Jane

Registered
Reaction score
Cat Scratch said:
As for a playwriting critique forum, I don't feel comfortable posting my work in a public forum like this one, but if anyone is interested in giving/receiving feedback via e-mail or something similar I'd definitely be up for that.

I think that's a great idea. I guess I'd post work for critique in a public forum if there were no other options, but now that you've mentioned an email or private message type arrangement, I have to say, that sounds really good.

I'm definitely interested.

What about you other guys?

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
FYI, the possibility of passwording both the Scriptwriting Critique Forum and the hypothetical Playwriting Critique Forum (à la Share Your Work) so they're no longer public forums, has already been raised. Soon as something's decided I'll let y'all know.

-Derek
My Web Page - sci-fi, fantasy, horror, cyborgs, AIs, dragons, vampyres.
Alta, about a million years from now the human race will have crawled up to where the Krell stood in their great moment of triumph and tragedy. And your father's name will shine again like a beacon in the galaxy. It's true, it will remind us that we are, after all, not God.

Last edited:

Vincent

Cheers
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Also a no-way for November. I'm trying to write a novel that month.

I still think a password-protected critique sub-forum would get people the most feedback on their work, but if that's impossible, then yeah, emails between like-minded people sounds okay.

EDIT:

Here's hoping, dpaterso.

Dlemoult

Naplwrimo 2006 !!!!

I just now came across this.
I actually started Naplwrimo and we are doing it right now !!!

I hope you call can join us next year !!!

Best,

Mandy-Jane said:
Okay. It had to happen. We've got one for Novels, one for Screenplays, one for Blogs - how about one for plays?

If anyone's interested, we can work out the specifics. What do you think?

Also, because November is taken up with NaScWrMo, and December is Christmas and January, people are often on holidays, we could hold it over until February. I don't know. These are just my random thoughts. I'd love to hear what you all think.

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of
I've just stumbled across this. If folks are still interested, I think our own NaPlWrMo in February is a fantastic idea. I, for one, have had a play idea wandering around my brain for a while and this could be just the kick I need to actually get it done. Who's with me?