NaNoWriMo Preparations?

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
So, what's everyone doing to get ready for NaNoWriMo?

Yesterday I dusted my computer room, rediscovered my desk, and printed out my current WIP to put on hold until after NaNo. I also stopped at Trader Joe's and stocked up on various chocolate covered delicacies. For ambience, I have candles and a wide choice of music. For practicality, I put a footstool next to the computer desk so my cat has somewhere close to sleep rather than on my keyboard.

Anyone else doing anything special?

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, I'm inspired! I suppose this weekend I'll clean off my computer table, and especially put away the knitting, the stack of paperbacks, and all the other odds and ends that have ended up on top of the monitor for some reason. As for snacks, I was planning to start a diet in November...hmm, probably not a great idea. Then again, I can't eat with both hands typing, so I'll just have to type without cessation!

On a more practical note, I'm frantically trying to finish some revisions before next week, and Saturday I sent off a manuscript after finishing its final revisions. I've been doing nothing but revising for two months now, so I'm really looking forward to starting my Nano project.

allion

Character assassin
Registered
Reaction score
I figured I would just panic. It's working so far.

I do have a bag of M&M dark chocolates and a bag of Hershey Truffle kisses to keep me going. That should be good until the end of the first weekend.

Guess I might want to work on an outline :roll:

Karen

Eveningsdawn

Just Sing.
Registered
Reaction score
Catch up on my homework. Write an essay. Write another one. Finish The Hobbit. Read that Freud book. Finish Don Quixote.

Buy food so I don't have to leave the dorm for meals. Steal a lot from the dining hall. Clean off my desk. Buy Twizzlers.

Keep writing down ideas on the three sheets of paper taped to my dorm wall next to my bed. Finish "Meetings on Trains"... send it off to my beta. Aggggh.

Go mad.

san_remo_ave

Back at it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elainegolden.com
I have cleaned out the computer room (which was still really junky from partially unpacked boxes from our move 9 months ago) and now have a pristine working space before the PC (so I don't have to sit in the living room by the TV with the laptop).

I've also been working on some basic plotting, but that's not looking to be done anytime soon, what with work getting in the way and all.... ;)

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
-Clean my bedroom. It's where I write.
-World building
-Finish reading my two books on how to write science fiction and fantasy. One is byOrson Scott Card and the other is by Gerrold can't remember the last name. His book is called "Worlds of Wonder". I saw it last in my bathroom and now I can't find it. :sigh:
-I have MS Word for my PC thanks to my mom.
-Try and rewrite my mermaid story "Algae in Bloom" and send it out.

TheIT

Registered
Reaction score
One more thing to add to the list: don't catch a cold. Either my allergies are acting up or I'm coming down with something. Keeping my fingers crossed....

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm planning a full-on panic attack. Other than that . . . Oh, and stocking up on sugary substances.

Maybe I should nap from now until November 1st?

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
Let's see...

Co-Wr-- *smacks hand* Serenity and I have decided to work on the next book in our trilogy, rather than start a brand new novel/new universe. Our brains are in that world right now, and I've been telling others to go where the muses drag you, so....

I'm tweaking Book One and biting my nails about posting some in SYW. Trying to decide which flavored coffee creamers will take me through November. Checking my stash of sugary treats. Wondering if the grocery store will stock enough Honey Brown for the month.

Oh yeah, plotting, plotting, plotting!

Vincent

Cheers
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Looks like I'll be away from a PC for the first 2 or 3 weeks of November. Oh well, maybe next year.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I don't prepare. I just start typing on November 1st and finish on the last day of the month.

Serenity

NCIS...
Registered
Reaction score
...cause sometimes you just need a slap on the hea
chaostitan said:
Wondering if the grocery store will stock enough Honey Brown for the month.

Oh yeah, plotting, plotting, plotting!

Honey Brown. :e2drunk: Sure. She just wants me to pass out so she can write whatever she wants. :e2BIC:

I'm trying to figure out another character in the universe that played a part in the first book, (God, that still feels good to say!) but wasn't the focus. He's getting more involved in the next and I have to get into his head a bit more.

Moonfish

Registered
Reaction score
I'm ridden with feelings that I SHOULD prepare but I have no time right now... I need to plot, I had no plot last year and it was a disaster. I have no time to plot! My plot is weak! Plotplotplot! Help!

I am also seriously considering turning down freelance work so that I have more time to nano...

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Finished off the PS2 game my friend let me borrow (Final Fantasy X... very addictive, btw), & am going to finish the novel I'm reading (also borrowed) before NaNo. I'm kinda dragging on the book, but there are ghosts involved, so I'm sure I'll be inspired to read it on Halloween if I don't finish b4 then.

I have more of a plot this time, but less nagging from my chara. Should be interesting to see which way is better.

Raiyah

Shopaholic
Registered
Reaction score
I have midterms all November, Christmas shopping season begins, anniversary, birthdays. . . should I just shoot myself now?

Seriously, though, I've jotted down a vague idea of the novel I want to write, character descriptions, etc., etc., is that cheating? This is my first time with NaNoWriMo.

Rabe

the living dead
Registered
Reaction score
TheIT said:
For practicality, I put a footstool next to the computer desk so my cat has somewhere close to sleep rather than on my keyboard.

It is refreshing to see that optimism is still alive and well somewhere! ;)

Anyone else wanna take some gambling action on just how ignored the footstool is once the cat figures out that the footstool is where it's *supposed* to be rather than the keyboard? ;)

Rabe...
...servant of the Kitties of DOOM!

TheIT

Registered
Reaction score
Don't worry, the cats have already figured out the footstool is just a jumping off point to get to the arm of my chair. At least this way 90% of the time I have my chair to myself rather than trying to type around the cat sitting in my lap. :e2cat:

san_remo_ave

Back at it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elainegolden.com
Moonfish said:
I'm ridden with feelings that I SHOULD prepare but I have no time right now... I need to plot, I had no plot last year and it was a disaster. I have no time to plot! My plot is weak! Plotplotplot! Help!

Hi Moonfish,

How can we help?

...besides chanting "plotplotplotplot!" along with you?

:idea:There's always the Adopt A Plot thread over on Nano that might inspire you.

Encouraging thoughts coming your way!

TheIT

Registered
Reaction score
Raiyah, the NaNo originators suggest using one week to plan, so no, you're not cheating if you're working on outlines or character development now. The first word of the actual prose is supposed to be written on November 1.

And Moonfish? Do you have characters in mind yet? Having strong characters makes it easier for plot to happen. Strong characters aren't content to sit around and do nothing for 50,000 words.

I've suggested this on other threads, too, but the No Plot? No Problem! book by Chris Baty (NaNoWriMo originator) has lots of good suggestions.

Good luck!

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've been plotting, planning and preparing for the last two days.

ie: Stocking up on Rum, Coffee, and sugar. :D

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I intend to eat all the Halloween candy that my kids bring home.

Preparations? Hmmm....I'm frantically trying to finish up current WIPs so that they don't bug me during NaNo. I am the ghost of projects past. Finish me or I will haunt you! Whooooooo!

TheIT

Registered
Reaction score
Soccer Mom said:
I intend to eat all the Halloween candy that my kids bring home.

Ladies and gentlemen, that banging noise you hear is Soccer Mom bouncing off the walls from the sugar rush. :D

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think Soccer Mom might be on to something here . . . Perhaps we Nano'ers should all go Trick or Treating and load up on sugary treats ?

By the time Thanksgiving rolls around (in the US) we'll be coming down from that high !