US bans Vegemite, international crisis feared.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vincent

Cheers
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I exaggerated in the title a little. But still...

October 21, 2006 12:00am

THE US has banned Vegemite, even to the point of searching Australians for jars of the spread when they enter the country.

The bizarre crackdown was prompted because Vegemite has been deemed illegal under US food laws.

The great Aussie icon - faithfully carried around the world by travellers from downunder - contains folate, which under a technicality, America allows to be added only to breads and cereals.
Australian expatriates in the US said enforcement of the ban had been gradually stepped up and was now ruining lifelong traditions of Vegemite on toast for breakfast.

Kraft spokeswoman Joanna Scott said: "The (US) Food and Drug Administration doesn't allow the import of Vegemite simply because the recipe does have the addition of folic acid.''

The US was "a minor market'' for Vegemite, she said.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20623973-2,00.html

Monday, October 23
Danny Lannen

AMERICAN border police have questioned former Geelong Advertiser reporter Daniel Fogarty on suspicion of carrying Vegemite into the country.

Fogarty said he was amazed when officers at a border crossing between Canada and the US asked him and partner Sarah Egan if they had any Vegemite.

The iconic Australian spread is outlawed in America due to its high folate level.

``We thought they were joking but it was real,'' Fogarty said. ``We went down to Montana and were crossing the border, they searched everybody's car as they do and after they searched asked if we were carrying any Vegemite.

``We were completely shocked. Normally Sarah wouldn't travel far without Vegemite but for some reason we didn't have it.''

Police recognised the couple as Australians and thought they might be suspects. US laws dictate folate can be added only to bread and cereals.

Fogarty and Ms Egan have lived in Calgary, Canada for six months.

Ms Egan said her Geelong mum Mary Egan sent her jars of Vegemite regularly to ease cravings.

http://www.geelonginfo.com.au/readarticle.asp?articleid=21165

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Let's strip-search those Aussies! I'll do my part and search Nicole Kidman, she lives just down the road now.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
This is just *beyond* ridiculous.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Odd.

You can buy it, here.

Actually, a bit of googling doesn't nail down anything like a real source for this--I'd bet you a beer it's a weird rumor resulting from an isolated incident, and will be debunked on Snopes, shortly.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In a retaliatory move, the Australian government banned the importing of Cheez Wiz.

Inquiries to the Australian Customs Office were met with laughter.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
I know, it's beyond crazy. Thankfully I have a couple of jars in the pantry.

(vegemite on toast is the best thing for a hangover, or when you're just feeling sick)

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
You're in luck, Mac, I don't drink beer :D

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
poetinahat said:
In a retaliatory move, the Australian government banned the importing of Cheez Wiz.
It would be better just to sink the ships in the harbor. Cheese Wiz would make a dandy reef.

I've heard FBI agents (oops, Special Agents) are now searching Outback Steakhouses looking for contraband.

oarsman

Salt water is the cure
Registered
Reaction score
I might have a jar in my pantry given to me by a friend in Sidney last year. IF I still have it, do I have to turn it over to authorities? :Huh:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
oarsman said:
I might have a jar in my pantry given to me by a friend in Sidney last year. IF I still have it, do I have to turn it over to authorities? :Huh:
There's a reward on your head! I suggest seeking refuge in Canada. Eh?

oarsman

Salt water is the cure
Registered
Reaction score
alleycat said:
There's a reward on your head! I suggest seeking refuge in Canada. Eh?

I'm headed for Canada and I'm singing the U.S. version of the Vegemite song on the way:

We're un-hap-py lit-tle veg-e-mites
as sad as sad can be,
we can't en-joy our Ve-ge-mite
for break-fast, lunch, or tea!

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
oarsman said:

The unopened jar is a perfect paperweight. God knows you can't EAT the muck.

As betting a beer, the stuff originally came from the bottom of brewer's vats. It's a yeast extract. A lot of people would have trouble with all that extra yeast because of chronic infections of yeast in their body. Such infections are occasionally called prickly heat and "jock itch" (also sometimes known by the lovely name 'crotch rot').

Regards,
Scott

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
I eat vegemite several times each week and I've never had a yeast infection. So there. :tongue

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
aadams73 said:
Oh gawd, there they go literally flogging the dead horse again. Tommy Woodcock gave Phar Lap a tonic, which contained arsenic, on a regular basis. Chances are it built up and killed the poor horse.

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,20630118-5003402,00.html

Actually arsenic is one of those things you can build a resistance to by taking small doses.

Arsenic is or was prescribed for severe rheumatoid symptoms as late as the 1980's.

Arsenic addiction was fairly common in Victorian and Edwardian times.

Regards,
Scott

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Um, so eating Vegemite could give you jock itch? Riiiiiiiiiiiight.

Sure is easy to belittle anything different, isn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.