PDA

View Full Version : SF/Fantasy project

Misty_Blue
10-23-2006, 11:55 AM
Well hello guys and gals. I've been reading through this thread out of interest as I've just started a project with my partner. Yes, a fantasy tale actually set in modern day, reflecting back to ancient history and magic. Now, I never wrote this genre before so any comments on how you prep for these kind of stories would be useful.

My partner is the 'plot' brain, whereas I will write the actual book. We're still at structure/outline stage at the mo, as we wanna get all things researched before I begin, but I have to admit I'm having a few personal reservations about my ability to tell a good yarn in this genre, (is that normal then?) I think so far we've got quite a good outline and I would hate to destroy it. (A bit of encouragement pleeeesaee.)

So far my partner and I are working systematically and well together, although last night I wrote a few fluffy plot lines which he found amusing (oh no).. I am generally confident about my writing abilities, I have written articles for years and had some publishing success in newspapers/magazines. But this is a biggie and I hope that first time novel fears dont dissuade me from delivering the actual goods.

Appreciate all your opinions and advice with great thanks....

Oddsocks
10-23-2006, 01:51 PM
The only advice I have is to suggest that, if you haven't/don't already, read some significant fantasy.

In terms of actually writing it, I don't think it's that different from anything else. It's still a story, so anything any story needs will apply.

MattW
10-23-2006, 03:37 PM
Sounds like what you are writing might fall under "Urban Fantasy." That's not my cup of boiled water with leaves, but look up some of the seminal works in the subgenre to get a feel for it, and also see what is being published today to feel what has been overdone.

As far as outlines - there are a more ways than authors. Some will tell you that detailed outlines are a necessity, and others that they are only good for plotting out 2-3 chapters in advance. There's the organic school that lets a story blossom without constraints, and I guess the rest would be "inorganic."

Writing with a partner I can give you no advice, except that any and all ideas are good, no matter who is the plotter and who is the fluffer. From my point of view - I would love to just plot and have someone else fill in the insignificant details like sentences, pace, structure, characterization, dialogue, and sensory realism.

ChaosTitan
10-23-2006, 08:49 PM
Adding to the advice given: when working with a writing partner, "no" is a dirty word. Especially when plotting. Co-Writer and I always keep open minds when discussing the story and characters, and are never afraid to toss something completely random into the mix. Sometimes we preface suggestions with "this will probably be stupid, but hear me out," and sometimes we end up using those wacky suggestions.

You don't have to use everything you guys talk about, but always be willing to listen to each other.

Shweta
10-24-2006, 02:10 AM
On the subject of those seminal works.

I'd suggest these four at least:

War for the Oaks by Emma Bull
The Anubis Gates by Tim Powers (speaking of going back to old mythology...)
The Wood Wife by Terri Windling
Something by Charles de Lint. Um, I dunno, go look him up and pick an urban fantasy thing that looks interesting :)

Can recommend many many others if you like, but I'd start there. Good luck with it!

Misty_Blue
10-25-2006, 10:46 AM
All very good ideas and advice, I thank you!

Well I haven't heard of 'urban fantasy' could anyone outline the difference (dim expressionhttp://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/icons/icon11.gif) I am having a few 'starting the book' troubles which I'm gonna put in a new post here..and..thankyou Shweta I will check out those titles!

Shweta
10-25-2006, 11:13 AM
Hm.

Urban fantasy is basically fantasy set in some version of this world, modern day. You can have the covert-magic urban fantasy, where most people just don't know that magic exists; and you can have the more overt-magic urban fantasy worlds -- alternate worlds in which some, most, or all people actually believe in magic.

There's probably a much better explanation out there, but it's midnight here.

And you're welcome :)

Misty_Blue
10-25-2006, 11:33 AM
Hm.

Urban fantasy is basically fantasy set in some version of this world, modern day. You can have the covert-magic urban fantasy, where most people just don't know that magic exists; and you can have the more overt-magic urban fantasy worlds -- alternate worlds in which some, most, or all people actually believe in magic.

There's probably a much better explanation out there, but it's midnight here.

And you're welcome :)

Aha that explains alot, and seems to be what im aiming to achieve then 'urban' though I'm finding it a little more kinky to set out correctly than I thought.

I just put a post up here of my immediate dilemma on beginning the fantasy tale, maybe I'm worrying too much about inter-relating the two concepts 'modern' and 'fantasy.' I will have to unmuddle my brian somehow here!

Thanks kindly Schweta!

Misty_Blue
10-25-2006, 01:45 PM
I will have to unmuddle my brian somehow here!

Thanks kindly Schweta!

Ooops I think i meant brain! I dont actually have any useful tools called 'brian'! http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif

Lyra Jean
10-25-2006, 05:51 PM
I want a useful tool called brian. :D

Modern real world but fantasy type creatures are real. I don't read these types of stories but that what comes to mind. Buffy the Vampire Slayer, maybe, I know that's TV but it fits no?

J. Weiland
10-25-2006, 06:12 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_fantasy