Status
Not open for further replies.

CBeasy

I'm back baby!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
I was reading the "What author started it all?" thread and got inspired to post this one.

I can't really remember a time when I couldn't read, and at least write in some rudimentary fashion. According to my parents it was somewhere around 5 or earlier, before I started elementary school. Reading has been a huge part of my life ever since. My heavy reading, in turn, inspired me to write. As a result, writing professionally is really the only profession I've ever really aspired to. It was always the answer I gave to "What do you want to be when you grow up?" when I was little. I just wanted to see what age everyone learned to read, and how soon after did it inspire you to write?

Last edited:

Mandy-Jane

venturing ever further into the unknown
Registered
Reaction score
I will complete a play this year! I will!
I never remember not reading. My parents tell me I used to read the newspaper before I started school (but I think I was just looking at the pictures!) I always got chosen to read my stories out to the class in Creative Writing at school. It gave me confidence, as I was absolutely clueless when it came to maths, science and art. I guess that was when I knew I'd always be writing.

Nakhlasmoke

yes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cathellisen.com
I know I could read before I started school, but I have no idea what age I was - younger thann five, obviously.

I do remember that the school librarian wouldn't let me take boks out of the "big Sedtion" when I was in Sub A (first year of school) until my mommy came and gave her what-for. *grin* I love my mommy.

Vincent

Cheers
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I was one of the last in my class to learn to read. But when I got the hang of it, I realised books weren't that bad afterall.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
I was three the first time I read "Goldilocks" aloud on my own. I haven't stopped since :D

(only now I don't even move my lips ;) )

Oddsocks

Registered
Reaction score
I was a pretty late reader, and even later as an enthusiatic one. I remember struggling with it and hating it...which is really weird, considering how much I love reading now.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
At Christmas when I was 3-1/2, I got a pair of red boots. I turned them over and read from the bottom "Made in Czechoslovakia". Floored my parents.

At eight I wrote a story in school that was something of a takeoff on the Song of Bernadette and had the teacher in a tizzy. Puma

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I was already reading prior to entering the school system...but it was probably just prior.

Moonfish

Registered
Reaction score
I could do an ABC-puzzle when I was just under the age of 3 (and said I as "frustrated" when I couldn't find a pice) but read comic books and such at the age of five.

smiley10000

What do we do? We write...
Registered
Reaction score
My first memory of reading is from Senior Kindergarten. I had the most amazing teacher in the world (YAY Ms. Jones :hooray:). She would take us aside and teach us to read one on one while the rest of the class played. I still remember sounding out "See Spot" books.

My grandmother used to always tell me about a story I wrote in grade two about a bunny rabbit. She was always so proud of me and that bunny rabbit. I do not have any recollection of the story though...

In grade four we had a school project where we had to write a picture book. The teacher had them bound and laminated and we read them out loud to kids in a grade one class. I still have that book to this day.

It was great to have teachers that really encouraged a love of reading and books.

:Hug2: 10000

Thomma Lyn

Cat Wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thommalyngrindstaff.com
smiley10000 said:
My first memory of reading is from Senior Kindergarten. I had the most amazing teacher in the world (YAY Ms. Jones :hooray:). She would take us aside and teach us to read one on one while the rest of the class played. I still remember sounding out "See Spot" books.

My grandmother used to always tell me about a story I wrote in grade two about a bunny rabbit. She was always so proud of me and that bunny rabbit. I do not have any recollection of the story though...

LOL -- I started reading around age two-and-a-half and wrote my first little story when I was three, and it was about a family of bunny rabbits! Mom and Dad probably still have it somewhere. What is it, anyway, with kids and bunny rabbits? :D

I had a wonderful kindergarten teacher, too, who encouraged me, about once a week, to read to the class in her stead. I was a very shy little kid, and having me read to the class was her way of gently encouraging me to be more confident.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
I was the youngest of four and always saw my parents and sisters reading. Newspapers, magazines, books, even cereal boxes at the breakfast table. I know I went into Kindegarten reading. So maybe I was three? Four? No one remembers iin my family. Just that there are photos of me as toddler usually with a picture book or upside-down magazine in my hands. (Probably why I've always been good at reading things upside-down. lol!)

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure when I began, but the earliest pictures of me reading are when I was three. I can't remember not being able to read. I do remember getting in trouble at school for 'reading ahead' in reading group, and for taking my reading book home at the beginning of school. Later on I remember suffering through tedious "reading enrichment" classes in upper elementary school; fortunately, my love for reading survived all the misguided efforts of the public school system, and I am a book addict to this day.

CBeasy

I'm back baby!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Jadezuki said:
My second grade teacher called me a liar when I tried to write out Book-It slips - said no seven-year-old could possibly have read all the books I had in such a short period of time (The Secret Garden, Caddie Woodlawn, The Great Brain). I was so humiliated I didn't tell my mom. Now, as an adult, I know my mother would have given that evil lady what for!

Alas, I too was a victum of what I like to call "Evil Teacher Book-It Envy". My teacher was obviously jealous of the fact that I had earned all the stars on my Book-It pin in the space of a week, and real books to boot. Well, I assume it was jealousy. What other reason could a person have for telling a small child that they were lying about an accomplishment, of which they were very proud of? Fortunately, I was a confident child (perhaps overly so) and I told the teacher what for. Of course, that resulted in a detention. Of course, that resulted in my mom coming down and telling the teacher that I did indeed read all those books. The teacher, feeling like an ***, canceled the detention.

I_Shrugged said:
From all accounts, I was 3 when I started reading. I'm the youngest of 5 kids, so my siblings taught me everything way ahead of school.....

Yeah, I was also the youngest, and I definately say that was to my advantage as far as pre-school education is concerned. I can still remember my sister reading books like Bambi to me, even though I could read at the time. We would talk about each chapter after she finished. In retrospect, that really gave me an incredible grasp of stuff like plot and character development at a very young age.

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
There are many beliefs about writers and their differences that I think threads like this feed into. How many people will leap in and say they learned to read late? Many who did were quick to forget it.

I, personally, was in the slow readers group (called, appallingly, the donkeys) and could not read at any functional level (see spot run etc) until around the age of 7. I was even slower to become numerate and these days my inability to tell 6s from 9s what probably be called dyslexic but it came right with time.

People develop at different rates. I sit here now with a non-fiction book in progress in one window and a GLM statistical anaylsis in the other.

jbal

Registered
Reaction score
I was four. Started writing soon after, before I quit for a really long time.

CBeasy

I'm back baby!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
veinglory said:
There are many beliefs about writers and their differences that I think threads like this feed into. How many people will leap in and say they learned to read late? Many who did were quick to forget it.

I, personally, was in the slow readers group (called, appallingly, the donkeys) and could not read at any functional level (see spot run etc) until around the age of 7. I was even slower to become numerate and these days my inability to tell 6s from 9s what probably be called dyslexic but it came right with time.

People develop at different rates. I sit here now with a non-fiction book in progress in one window and a GLM statistical anaylsis in the other.

I didn't mean for the thread to chastise people who learned late. I was actually curious to see how many late readers went on to become writers. Honestly, I think it's circumstances and environment that determine when you learn to read more than intelligence or creativity. It's cool to see that people turned a challenge in early life into a life's passion later on.

allion

Character assassin
Registered
Reaction score
I learned from watching Sesame Street when I was 3 or 4. I know I could read and print in kindergarten, and I started there at age 4 (the November birthday thing).

Thank you, Big Bird.

Karen

September skies

cloud watching
Registered
Reaction score
under my September Skies in sunny California
Website
www.estheravila.com
I don't remember how old I was, but I do know that by age 4, when my family registered me for kindergarten, I could read already. I think it had to do with my father being blind. We read a lot in my family. And, I remember reading Readers Digest stories to him when I was 6.

As a result, I've always loved reading (read a book in one to two days) and so do my daughters. When my girls started kindergarten - both were reading first-grade level.

TrainofThought

A flowering bud of bitchiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authordenisebaer.com
I probably started around six (best guess). Then junior high and high school got in the way, actually, I became interested in other things. I started reading again in my late teens until present, but I did not get inspired until years later. I was a late bloomer and wanted to accomplish other things first.

Gary

Registered
Reaction score
I guess I was 4 or 5, but I cheated.

My school was a one-room country school with never more than 10 students scattered across grades 1 through 8. The school teacher boarded at my grandparents place, which was across the road from us and I would spend time with her pretending I was in school.

My mother was also a substitute teacher and when she taught, I would stay in school with her. I started doing that at age 2, when we moved to the farm, so I was exposed to school earlier than most.

sammyig

Vampire Connoisseur
Registered
Reaction score
I taught myself to read when I was 3 by looking at the TV Guide. I wanted to know when the Jeffersons was coming on.

Status
Not open for further replies.