The Homeless in Sci-Fi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

R Lee E

Can anyone recall a science fiction short story, novel or otherwise which involves either the main character, or a prominent character being homeless?

R Lee E

How compelled would you be to read a sci-fi story featuring a homeless person as the main character? Is that a lifestyle you're in any way curious about?

veingloree

I droped you these suggestions at wwwforums but will put them here too; Psion, Wizard of the Pigeons.

I would be open to reading about a homeless protagonist but not more of less than any other place in life.

Pthom

How compelled would you be to read a sci-fi story featuring a homeless person as the main character? Is that a lifestyle you're in any way curious about?
I go along with Veingloree here; that the main character is homeless isn't in itself particularly interesting--it seems to me the character's homlessness would be secondary to the premise--unless the homelessness is crucial to the plot.

What did you have in mind? Is there something in the story that causes the homeless condition, or requires it, or does the character begin that way? In other words, why would it matter whether the character is without home? Aren't there several "types" of homelessness? Some people have the condition thrust on them; others choose it. And what constitutes "home?" Certainly there are many definitions, but my favorite is by Robert Frost in his The Death of the Hired Hand:

"Home is the place where, when you have to go there,
They have to take you in."

R Lee E

The character's homelessness is definetly secondary to the premise, maybe even tertiary ;)

It's not the focus of the plot... though it serves a purpose. Plus it gives me an opportunity to provide the reader with a perspective of humanity not common in sci-fi. And hopefully, the fact that the protagonist is homeless, will intertwine with the plot enough to satisfy the reader.

P.S. I like that ...

"Home is the place where, when you have to go there,
They have to take you in."

Pthom

It's not the focus of the plot... though it serves a purpose. Plus it gives me an opportunity to provide the reader with a perspective of humanity not common in sci-fi.
Then I say, do it.

Ravenlocks01

I'd happily read a story featuring a homeless protag (as long as it was a good story). But I won't happily read a story that's trying to preach to me about the plight of the homeless. In fact I'll happily exercise my right to put it down. Preaching is for non-fiction.

I do think it could be cool to explore homelessness as a social condition that sf doesn't touch very often (as far as I know; I'm more a fantasy person). It could bring a fresh angle to your story.

Jamesaritchie

How a homeless person exists and functions in a futuristic, high-tech world might be very interesting.

DaveKuzminski

Ah, yes, I can see it now.

A homeless person takes up arms against the establishment because it doesn't care for the homeless. The state reacts by opening an apartment complex to the homeless and giving them new clothes. Unknown to the homeless, it's a trap to get the one among them who is fighting the system because the clothing contains passive GPS devices woven into the clothing. Because of an accident, the fighter escapes their custody. Desperate to lose his pursuit, he enters a high voltage area where by chance his GPS unit is nullified.

It doesn't have to be a morality statement, but that doesn't mean there can't be one. Besides, I think science fiction frequently offers such statements.

XThe NavigatorX

8o Luke Skywalker was homeless after the Storm Troopers laid the smackdown on his farm.

Kida Adelyn

In my current WIP (its fantasy, not Sci-Fi) the main focus of the story is how a group of people are oppressed, and are living in poverty. The main character is homeless. I think it's a facinating subject to explore and putting it into a sci-fi or fantasy setting heightens interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.