You know you're feeling dejected when...

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackbird

Registered
Reaction score
You know you're feeling dejected when you get that envelope in the mail and there's that tiny piece of paper and you start to read it and it says "Thank you for your submission, but unfortunately _______ magazine is no longer publishing" and you actually jump up and down with joy because at least it's NOT a rejection this time!:hooray:

RainbowDragon

Perpetuous Revisasaurus
Registered
Reaction score
I'll play, Blackbird -

. . .You respond to your latest form rejection with a hand-written note such as, "Thank you for filling in my name (though I must confess it was spelled wrong) and the title of the work you rejected (in all capitals which might to the untrained eye scream of something not too remote from laziness). I deeply appreciate the personal touch you bring to the marketplace and hope to work with you on a future project."

(Next. . .?)

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
You know you're dejected.......when you send in your query/partial/full, and with it, you send in a rejection letter to yourself (with proper postage), and just ask the agent/editor to sign it and get it back as quickly as possible. Then you thank them profusely.

What's amazing, is that you have so many variations of the form rejections from each source, that you've been able to draft/cut/paste, and mass produce them, and you know exactly which form rejection letter to use when it has to be sent back to you. Of course you add a few pandering remarks in the rejection just to make it fresh, hoping that agent/editor won't mind such creativity.

Tri

Declan

Registered
Reaction score
You know you're dejected when...

...Leonard Cohen sounds positively up beat.

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score

... you get one acceptance, but someone else gets ten acceptances.:)

janetbellinger

Registered
Reaction score
Susie said:

... you get one acceptance, but someone else gets ten acceptances.:)

Gee, that wouldn't make me feel dejected. One acceptance would make me feel elated, even if somebody else got a thousand acceptances.

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
I was joking, Janet. I'm thrilled when I get one acceptance and when others get ten acceptances too. See my smilie.:)

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
blackbird said:
You know you're feeling dejected when you get that envelope in the mail and there's that tiny piece of paper and you start to read it and it says "Thank you for your submission, but unfortunately _______ magazine is no longer publishing" and you actually jump up and down with joy because at least it's NOT a rejection this time!
Yes! That's happened to me and I didn't tear it up, stomp on it, set it on fire. I called it one of my "good" rejections.

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You know you feel dejected when...you haven't picked up in your pencil (pen, keyboard) since that book publisher sent you that "this-has-potential" rejection letter 6 weeks ago.

(I'm on the upswing, though :) .)

fanatic

Registered
Reaction score
Website
engagingpages.blogspot.com
You know you're feeling dejected when you get an email that reads:

"Thanks for your submission to Not-For-You Mag. We cannot use it at this time, but we wish you good luck in placing it elsewhere."

And you think, hey, I think the editor really meant that 'good luck' part. Then start to drool, happily.

anavicenteferreira

Registered
Reaction score
... when the juri of competition you submitted your work to decides not to atribute a winner that year.

JustinThorne

www.justinthorne.com
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
... You send an SASE with your tax return.

... You send a query letter to your girlfriend before asking her out.

... You stop after foreplay and when asked why, you say, "That was a partial... you want the whole thing?"

... After cheating on your girlfriend your excuse is, "You never mentioned exclusives on your Website!"

... When you sign greeting cards at work, the message is always double-spaced.

... You witness a crime and when asked for a statement by the police you hand over a synopsis.

... You get married and your speech includes an ackowledgements section and blurbs from your ex-girlfriends.

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
You know you're dejected when your biggest dream is to get a form rejection with your name on it.

DeniseK

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
You know you're dejected when you check your email and it says you have no messages but you look at your inbox anyway. :cry:

Pisarz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharppenediting.com
You know you're dejected when you receive a rejection from an agency you queried many moons ago and are actually relieved because you'd already written them off last month anyway. The mind thinks, "Rejection? I kind of figured as much when the two week promise-to-respond expired in mid-August. This is old news. At least it's not a rejection from the latest batch of e-queries . . . from which I can't even get a 'no' . . . yet . . ." Something like that.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
You know you're dejected when

...someone asks you how the writing's coming along and you burst into tears.

...you see an unfamiliar number on your telephone with no message and assume you just missed a call from a major editor who might never call back. You then decide never to leave the house again.

...you send a story to a magazine that always replies with personalized rejections, just so you can get something with your actual name on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.