Going POD checklist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stupendous man

Registered
Reaction score
Is there such a thingaround here? I'm heading that route with my fiction novel that has not made the grade with agents and publishers. Yes, I know I'll be lucky if I ever reach 1000 copies and all the rest of the warnings. For me, its time to put my work out there to friends and family and my extended network and see if it has any legs of its own. If I sell 500 copies, a long shot too, I will have recouped just a lot, dollar wise, of what I have put in. If I sell 100, I'll call it good. And if feedback is encouraging, I'll do more.

Having said all that, I'm working on the bits and pieces. I've decided on Lulu, and by trying to sell my books online via lulu direct, a home page, a myspace page, and then secondly by amazon (which I will set to different costs on lulu so I make less). I've got a front cover and working on the back cover.

Here's what else I have down:

- copy edits and futzing with margins/headers/page breaks,etc. to ensure its as close to perfect as I can do w/o a publisher.
- cover art, etc.
- permissions for quotes used.
- copyright with US.
- making a myspace homepage and a lulu homepage.
- crafting pitches (to online forums and local shops/papers).
- book release/booksigning party put on by myself.
- maybe making a poster and some promotional materials, but light on this as I will not be pouring money into what has become my personal project.
- reading up on other pod people works, reading these sites for tips on POD marketing and use in general.

What have I missed?

Thanks.

james1611

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamessomers.blogspot.com
you should check out J. Robinson's book

Hello,

Jeremy Robinson still has the number one fiction title, The Didymus Contingency, at LULU.com and he's a fellow author with me over at Breakneck Books.

He self published The Didymus Contingency and has done very well with it through Lulu.com...he has also written and Breakneck Books has just released, POD PEOPLE: Beating the Print On Demand Stigma, by Jeremy Robinson. It is full of everything you need as a self publisher to get your book in shape for release.

He also has more info on his BLOG at www.jeremyrobinsononline.com and he just did a great article for www.profitpapers.com

Anyone at LULu will tell you Jeremy is the man when it comes to finding out how to self publish successfully. Now he's at Breakneck Books.

James

stupendous man

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, he seems extremely successful and I checked out his website and will likely buy his POD manual.

Maybe you can tell me if his book would be geared toward me if:
1) I have a full time job
2) I am not looking to make a million here, but to test my writing waters.

Stormhawk

Angry Bunny Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.requirecookie.com
(I'm a Lulu too, but I haven't published anything yet.)

One great promotional item that's both effective and cheap are the vistaprint.com postcards, you can get 500 for peanuts and you can leave small piles around places where you know you may have prospective customers.

acousticgroupie

Registered
Reaction score
hmmm, i universe gave me a checklist but i'm not sure if that's because i signed up. you could fish around the site, they have some basic guidelines on the main site for what to do before you submit.

good luck!

citymouse

fantasy dweller
Registered
Reaction score
Storm-- That actually works quite well. I live near Philadelphia and almost every coffee house has an area where you can leave adverts. The ones I frequent allow me to leave a stack of postal size cards with my book cover near the check out register. The card's reverse side has a short blurb with where to buy info. Some of these cafes have tables, so what I do is make a mini-stand for my cards from black construction paper with a "Take one please" pasted at the top. Unfortunately some smart *** at on eof teh cafes took the stand and left the cards. I was royally not amused!
Cm

Stormhawk said:
(I'm a Lulu too, but I haven't published anything yet.)

One great promotional item that's both effective and cheap are the vistaprint.com postcards, you can get 500 for peanuts and you can leave small piles around places where you know you may have prospective customers.

Status
Not open for further replies.