Waiting for my first reviews!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moonfish

Registered
Reaction score
My first book, a non-fiction, came out a few weeks ago and now I am waiting for the first reviews! It is sooo scary... And the day started off with a disappointment because today is the reviewdate and my own newspaper had nothing. Oh well. I'm hoping that maybe during the weekend?

What are your experiences? How was it to read the first reviews of your work? How many were there?

I am gone during this weekend but I'll get back to you on Monday and let you know if there's been anything in the press!

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
It is pretty maddening waiting for reviews!

Usually, if the trade magazines are going to review, they'll do it during the month of the book's release. Everything else-- newspapers, consumer mags, websites-- can be a lot more flexible on timing.

My local newspapers have never reviewed anything of mine. One did a blurb on AW's charity anthology, Stories of Strength, but they've never covered any of my books. I've threatened to adopt myself out to another hometown due to neglect.

Good luck with the reviews! Hope you get some soon, and that they're great! What's your book, by the way? (Unless you're trying to keep a low profile. :) )

TeddyG

The Other Shoe Will Fall!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.virginisrael.com
JennaGlatzer said:
My local newspapers have never reviewed anything of mine. One did a blurb on AW's charity anthology, Stories of Strength, but they've never covered any of my books. I've threatened to adopt myself out to another hometown due to neglect.
Jenna, that is pretty amazing...though in all my years I never thought I would hear the exact same story that I always am a bit raw and upset about.

When my first children's book came out it was reviewed in quite a few mags. and papers in NYC and CA and some elsewhere. It was in English of course. But here in Israel, the one famous paper in English, the Jerusalem Post, in my home town said not a word about it. I shrugged and let it go. Then when my second children's book came out, and was in almost ever picture window in every book store in Jerusalem and Tel Aviv (those were the days!!!!) and it was even mentioned in the NY Times for god sake, I asked my neighbor who wrote free lance for the Jerusalem Post to write a review. He complied and gave it in. They again refused to publish it! Since then I hate the Jerusalem Post.

Yeah I know how that feels. But I have to tell you Jenna, that I am so glad I finally found someone else who that happened to. Until now I thought it was my charming personality :D that made them refuse to write or publish a review.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Teddy, that's so infuriating. Did they tell your neighbor why they turned it down?

There are four or five newspapers in my area of Long Island, plus a local TV station and radio stations. Seriously every time one of my books comes out, I send them press releases. (I used to send them copies of the books, until I realized they consistently ignore me and it's a waste of my money.)

I tried sending the releases every which way-- mail, fax, e-mail. I tried being funny: "Local Author Makes National News, But is Still Shunned by Her Hometown Paper." I tried following up by phone. I never even got an answer to anything, ever, except ONCE when I got an e-mail with no further explanation that just said, "Maybe next time," or something to that effect.

Yeah, because there are soooo many authors in my town who've published 16 books, right?

But the Girl Scouts and the spelling bee champs and the local politicians get mentioned every darn week.

Moonfish

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you!
Well Jenna, I'm a little low-profile only because I come from a tiny country and a small community and I want to be able to be myself on these boards. And it's not like you'll ever hear of any of my books ever, in English...

TeddyG

The Other Shoe Will Fall!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.virginisrael.com
Jenna...
I honestly would not have believed your story unless I lived through it.
Did they tell me? Nope. They told my friend who wrote the review, that they do children's book reviews rarely. So I decided to check up on it. BS. They did reviews on children's books at least once a month (in the Friday paper which is the equivalent of your Sunday Paper). They just never reviewed any author in Israel.

Such is life. But I hear you. BTW...Long Island I know really well. I grew up in Manhattan...(and I am not just talking about the Five Towns...)all the way deep into Suffolk County. I would think there they would be more willing and desirous to do big interviews with local authors. I never did understand this.

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
I suck at promotion. I never approached my local paper. Or any paper or magazine. Or radio or tv station.

On the plus side, I can adopt a baby from Malawi and nobody chases me through airports.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Moonfish: Congratulations and good luck on the reviews!

Aka Eraser: I'd be happy to chase you through an airport, if it would make you feel better :D

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
I still find it very hard to read reviews, and they matter to me probably much more than they should. Or, I should say, anything negative in them matters much more than it should. Often I can barely remember the positive parts of reviews, while the three critical words are engraved on my memory forever.

I've had the identical experience with local media--totally not interested in anything I do (and that includes Writer Beware). For my latest book, I didn't even bother with my local papers and radio stations--I concentrated on other stuff. I don't really think that local coverage makes a lot of difference, anyway.

- Victoria

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
At least on Broadway you can drink across the street while the reviews come. With a book, you just have to sit on your hands and sweat.

piscesgirl80

Friendly Neighborhood Fish
Registered
Reaction score
Moonfish, congratulations! :hooray: I'm sure the reviews will be great.

Regarding not getting recognition from local media, I think, unfortunately, it's a pretty common experience, a la "a prophet is not without honor, except in his own country." :rolleyes:

arrowqueen

RIP, our sarky besom
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats. I hope you get great reviews.

Moonfish

Registered
Reaction score
News update!
There has been ONE review in a local newspaper (not my own though) and it was very positive. The headline was splendiferous, the reviewer wrote she "read it from cover to cover" etc. The only thing she put down were the photographs, which I didn't take, but the person who did is quite blue now. But it really was a good review, albeit in a small newspaper!! So thank you all for your good-luck wishes (and the addition to my reputation!) !

And my friend who heads a library in another part of the country said all 3 copies have been checked out! Someone is out there, right now, reading my book!!

A lot of exclamation marks in this post, but I truly am thrilled!

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
Jadezuki, reviews are one *the most* exciting parts!

It's one thing to get your writing out there - but to know what readers think of it...!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.