So...I just bought a house, and I've decided what I need to do...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
WIN THE LOTTERY!

I don't see any other way. If I want to, you know, make mortgage payments and still eat. I'd really love to stay home when Mr. Groove and I have a baby (No, not yet.) but I don't see that happening. We're going to Disney World next week. A trip we've been planning for over a year. I can see the future, oh yes, this will be our last trip for a while. A long while. Especially if we get that bundle of joy. We'll be driving through Georgia on the way, so I'll hit two state lotteries. Wish me luck. :D

jbal

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck! your house payments will go up next year too, even if you don't have an ARM, because of prorated taxes. That is, if you have an escrow account. Mine went up almost $200 a month, and next year should go down by $100 or so.
Have fun at Disney world! ;)

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
jbal said:
Good luck! your house payments will go up next year too, even if you don't have an ARM, because of prorated taxes. That is, if you have an escrow account. Mine went up almost $200 a month, and next year should go down by $100 or so.
Have fun at Disney world! ;)
Thanks, as if I didn't already have a headache!

if you have an escrow account. Mine went up almost $200 a month, and next year should go down by $100 or so. WHY?

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Lord in Heaven - WHAT? My house payment hasn't gone up more than $20.00 in 10 years.

And it's already less than most people's car payments.

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Having a house is like having a kid, they come with expenses. Having kids is wonderful but your house doesn't need to breast feed every two hours when you first get it. Enjoy the time alone and the last vacation before kids.

It's all good Sassypants!

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
Our mortgage is fixed. No fluctuating. Property taxes, different story. LOL

Anyway, CONGRATULATIONS!!! Owning a house is a huge step. Our house is about 100 years old, so in the 10 years we've been in it, we've had to put a looooooot of money into it. Expensive stuff always breaks 3 days after the warranty expires. ;)

Wouldn't trade it for the world.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Carrie in PA said:
Wouldn't trade it for the world.

Here Here! It's a wonderful, frustrating and fantastic thing to own your house :D Or, well, rent it from the bank!

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
Have you heard the joke about the priest and the lottery?

A priest in a poor parish one day prays to God to win the lottery. "Oh Lord, if only I could win the lottery, I'd use the money for good works. I'd feed the hungry and clothe the poor. Please, please, let me win the lottery!" Day after day, he prays the same prayer, but no luck until one day in his frustration he shouts, "Why, Lord, why haven't I won the lottery?"

And the sky opens up, and a booming voice says, "MEET ME HALFWAY. BUY A TICKET."

:D

Congratulations on your new house!

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
AS I was sitting down to work all the calculations to show you how you can make that house work for you, I discovered that someone whizzed in my coffee.
That is a sad state of affairs considering that I've been happy and mellow all week...actually since last Thursday. So now I've gotta go out and mangle consultants. Which means no long boring accounting lectures to my friends.
(Oh I can't help this...)

What wood you have prefered?
(Really though...the interest/principal ratio in the first 5 years is usually such that you aren't paying a dangged thing. Mortgage interest and property taxes are tax deductible unless you earn so much (or so little) you can't itemize)

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I do not approve of this non-wood-based thread.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
TheIT said:
Have you heard the joke about the priest and the lottery?

A priest in a poor parish one day prays to God to win the lottery. "Oh Lord, if only I could win the lottery, I'd use the money for good works. I'd feed the hungry and clothe the poor. Please, please, let me win the lottery!" Day after day, he prays the same prayer, but no luck until one day in his frustration he shouts, "Why, Lord, why haven't I won the lottery?"

And the sky opens up, and a booming voice says, "MEET ME HALFWAY. BUY A TICKET."

Congratulations on your new house!
I heard that too, but with a blonde.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Jaycinth said:
AS I was sitting down to work all the calculations to show you how you can make that house work for you, I discovered that someone whizzed in my coffee.
That is a sad state of affairs considering that I've been happy and mellow all week...actually since last Thursday. So now I've gotta go out and mangle consultants. Which means no long boring accounting lectures to my friends.
(Oh I can't help this...)

What wood you have prefered?
(Really though...the interest/principal ratio in the first 5 years is usually such that you aren't paying a dangged thing. Mortgage interest and property taxes are tax deductible unless you earn so much (or so little) you can't itemize)

Hey Jay, thanks. Come back when you have time. I'll listen. The closing lawyer said to divide our mortgage payment by 12, and pay that amount extra per payment towards principal, and we'll have paid the 30 yr. mortgage in about 17 years. She said it's only a good idea if we'll be in the house 5 or more years, and that it really helps to build equity. Example. Mortage payment =900
$900 / 12months=$75 per month
THen send and extra check for $75 marked for principal only along with the mortgage check.

And Rob, I live in Alabama, my house ain't made of peaches!

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
sassandgroove said:
Um...Brick basement, and vinyl siding, but it has wood framing and we're going to put in hardwood floors.
Oh cool, a basement. Can I come live in your basement? I'll be really quite, promise. :D

Congrats on the house, seriously.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
SpookyWriter said:
Oh cool, a basement. Can I come live in your basement? I'll be really quite, promise. :D

Congrats on the house, seriously.
IF you can hang drywall(in basement) and flooring (undetermined)(in basement) and install hardwood(not in basement), oh and paint.

Last edited:

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
sassandgroove said:
IF you can hang drywall(in basement) and a flooring (undetermined)(in basement) and install hardwood(not in basement), oh and paint.
I'm your man! Of course, I expect a satellite t.v., stereo, dinner served by 7, access to the pool and spa, and an amply stock of booze for my guests.

When should I show up?

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you win the Lotto, maybe you could afford to shore up that left side?

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
MidnightMuse said:
If you win the Lotto, maybe you could afford to shore up that left side?
LOL, I think the camera is tilted, not the house. That picture is on the realty website. I haven't taken one of my own yet. We don't actually take possesion of the house until Sat. The land slopes towards thehouse, and the back deck is way high up, but the house is level. Really. I think its awkard becuase whoever took it was trying to show the 2 car garage on the side as well as the front of the house.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
sassandgroove said:
LOL, I think the camera is tilted, not the house. That picture is on the realty website. I haven't taken one of my own yet. We don't actually take possesion of the house until Sat. The land slopes towards thehouse, and the back deck is way high up, but the house is level. Really.
:roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.