PDA

View Full Version : Pet writers -- I need help

Freckles
10-19-2006, 09:48 PM
I'm trying to write a personal essay on my life with my cat. We got him just after my father died, and he's been such a blessing!

Who here writes for pet pubs? I know the biggies -- Cat Fancy, Dog Fancy, etc. But what others have you worked with that take essays? I suppose I'm looking to find out what your experience has been like with these pubs, as i've already got Writer's Market.

Thanks in advance! :D

jdkiggins
10-19-2006, 09:53 PM
Freckles,
I'll port this over to the Writing About Animals forum. I'm sure there are many there who can make suggestions.

Freckles
10-19-2006, 10:00 PM
Thanks, Joanne...I didn't know we had an animal forum. Thanks for the heads-up. sorry for the mistake.

awatkins
10-20-2006, 02:51 AM
Hi Freckles,

Don't forget about markets like Chicken Soup, Cup of Comfort and the like. I've sold quite a few inspirational pet pieces to markets like those.

Other types of markets to consider would be any family-oriented magazine (your story is based on a family experience), mags like Grit (they recently changed formats but their new submission info is posted on their website), newspaper inserts like The Front Porch, or even some of the women's magazines. There's a bunch of animal/pet-friendly markets posted in the sticky at the top of this forum. Maybe you can find something there.

Good luck. :)

Freckles
10-20-2006, 04:59 AM
Thanks so much, Awatkins! I appreciate all the help

GHF65
10-20-2006, 04:31 PM
I've sold several stories of the type you're working on, all of them to anthologies. That may be your best bet. Unfortunately the one I had the best luck with--Chocolate for Women--that bought five of my essays is now defunct.

Check the Adams Media website and see what they're working on. They might have an anthology in the works (they generally do), and they've bought two of my non-fiction stories in the past year.

Best luck!

Freckles
10-21-2006, 09:47 PM
Thanks Joanne! I appreciate it...I'll check out the site.

ponygal
11-28-2006, 11:31 PM
Hi...

Take a look at: animalwellnessmagazine.com They've taken a few of my stories about our horses. I'm new btw. Alleycat directed me over to this Writing about Animals forum (which I didn't realize was here as I hadn't explored much yet). This is great...!

Dollywagon
11-29-2006, 12:26 AM
I'm in the UK so don't have access to a lot of the mags over in the US (well, most of them actually) but was wondering if anybody could enlighten me as to the type of content animal wellness are looking for in their Animal Passages and Tail End columns?

ponygal
11-29-2006, 05:26 AM
The animalwellnessmagazine.com website asks for "humorous and/or heartwarming stories". There should be more info on the website.

Freckles
11-29-2006, 11:20 PM
Thanks, Pony! I'll have to give it a look!! :)

awatkins
11-29-2006, 11:39 PM
Hi...

Take a look at: animalwellnessmagazine.com They've taken a few of my stories about our horses. I'm new btw. Alleycat directed me over to this Writing about Animals forum (which I didn't realize was here as I hadn't explored much yet). This is great...!

Welcome, ponygal! Glad to see you here. Looks like I'll have to toss a little extra catnip in alleycat's direction. :D

ponygal
12-02-2006, 08:03 AM
Just keep alleycat away from your parrots... (thanks for the welcome)