Writing acknowledgements

Status
Not open for further replies.

illiterwrite

Registered
Reaction score
I'm just getting down to writing the acknowledgements for my book and have a question about acknowledging experts. I can't do what I'd normally do (browse through other books to see how it's done) -- I've just moved and have all my books packed away in storage, arg!

People who've helped include a criminal lawyer, forensic psychiatrist, a nurse within the correctional system, etc. So do I put their names, followed by titles, just their names, or should I email them to see what they prefer?

Thanks.

ATP

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
I think the chosen form is a personal matter. But, if it is a professional book (non-fiction), then I think you might best relay: name, title and professional/academic degrees, if any - XX, title, MSc, Ph.d and the like.
But, I think someone like Medievalist might be able to assist in this better than I. There are also publishers here who might be able to help - wordworm, for example.

A little bit removed from grammar, but perhaps you could squeeze it in. Try posting your question also in the Grammar forum - you're sure to get a good response there.

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
I just found my name on the acknowledgements page of a mystery book - "Too Big Too Miss" by Sue Ann Jaffarian. I know her, but I did not know she was going to put me in there - what a cool surprise!

Sue Ann just listed a bunch of folks she wanted to thank (I always read the thank-yous) and there I was! Spelled correctly, too! It was a thrill - as it will be for those people you are kind enough to thank in print.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What I like to see in a fictional work's acknowledgements is something like:

My sincere thanks to Ann Apple, my editor at Publisher, without whose help this book would not have been completed; to Bob Bartender, who listened without judgment as I worked through my problems--and my novel's; to Carl Cornfeldt, for sharing his expertise on plant diseases at times when I surely woke him; to Donna Deadman, who typed what I wrote without complaint and wisely made suggestions only when I was drunk; to Eli Ellison, my husband and partner in all that is good and pure; to Farrah Faucett...

Like that. Reading such a thank-you page both acknowledges each person by name but lets the reader know what their contributions were. I find it fascinating.

Maryn, who hopes to reach that point eventually

Jenan Mac

The Deadliest Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
I'm with Maryn. Part of the fun of acknowledgments is entertainment value for those who know they're not mentioned. I already know who (grabbing at names) Diana Gabaldon's and Charlaine Harris's agents are-- on a rainy and boring afternoon, what I want to know is who owes whom a bottle of single-malt, and why.

Status
Not open for further replies.