PDA

View Full Version : What does Woody Allen mean to you?

Nicholas S.H.J.M Woodhouse
10-19-2006, 03:54 PM
Ahoy one and all,
I need some help - what does Woody Allen mean to you - ie. his films and stories.
is he funny? pathetic? endearing?

it would be really helpful to me if you let me know.
thanks

aadams73
10-19-2006, 03:59 PM
He used to be funny, but lately his work is just flat and samey. He hasn't evolved at all since the 80's

Plus he has major ICK factor going on. He's pretty pathetic and gross.

Serenity
10-19-2006, 04:13 PM
It means if I see him, I was either 1: blind and unable to read when picking out a movie at the video store, or 2: not able to change the channel quick enough.

Don't like him, never have. :e2shrug:

Spirit_Fire
10-19-2006, 04:15 PM
Sorry to be a spoil sport, but...

Who is Woody Allen?? :Shrug:

Sheryl Nantus
10-19-2006, 04:18 PM
seriously?

pedeophile... and you can't pay me to watch any of his films.

CaroGirl
10-19-2006, 04:22 PM
Genius. The Purple Rose of Cairo: Brilliant. Many of his movies are absolutely perfect. He's an exceptionally clever, though likely quite creepy, man.

NeuroFizz
10-19-2006, 04:28 PM
No time for him as a person, but at his craft, I find him unique and clever. I haven't seen any really recent stuff, though. His older movies were all great, in my mind.

poetinahat
10-19-2006, 04:53 PM
I understand that he's well thought of by many people whose opinion I value highly; some of those people have posted on this thread. I have no wish to take issue with them, but the following is how I feel.

Liked his non-Manhattan films that I've seen (Take the Money and Run, Sleeper, Purple Rose of Cairo).

The films set in Manhattan, I can't bear to watch. I find them self-indulgent and tiresome. In this respect, I thought Diane Keaton was his perfect foil.

The last Allen film I watched was when my now-wife and I were courting. She'd never seen a Woody Allen film, but wanted to see what the fuss was about. So we rented Manhattan Murder Mystery. Fifteen minutes in, she asked whether I minded if we turned it off.

I knew at that moment that we would make a smashing couple.

eldragon
10-19-2006, 05:18 PM
I love to hate him. I think it's unforgivable to marry your stepdaughter. I do enjoy some of his movies, though He's pathetic and genius.

10-19-2006, 05:27 PM
Who is Woody Allen?? :Shrug:

hello spiritfire, i'm not that sure myself - thats why i was asking. all i know is he has written and directed and starred in a vast number of films, normally spaffing one off every year. i think they're usually comedy. i think he has had some real controversy in his life - as suggested above. you can probably look him up on www.imdb.com (http://www.imdb.com)
thanks everyone for your comments so far. everything is very much appreciated, and more comments are very welcome. thanks

aadams73
10-19-2006, 05:45 PM
You could get a few of his movies and judge for yourself. :)

10-19-2006, 05:50 PM
thanks for the suggestion and i probably will when time and money are not such big constraints at the mo.
but i'm really interested in what everyone but me thinks about him. my opinion in this situation isn't important (not that it ever is!) so please people, let me know. this is really helping me out.
thanks again, Nique

Maryn
10-19-2006, 05:57 PM
His personal life isn't mine to judge, but the e-e-ew factor exists even though he has always shown a penchant for younger women, from his former wives to his stepdaughter-by-adoption or whatever she is. We have no idea how much of a parental figure Allen was when she was a minor, or whether anything age-inappropriate happened. (Allen did maintain a separate residence from Mia and her many adopted children.) The young woman is now an adult and free to make whatever choices she wants in regard to romantic relationships. This one doesn't bother me any more than the 60-something businessmen who dump wife number one for a newer model younger than their children.

I think some of Allen's work is brilliant. My favorites include the loosely autobiographical Annie Hall, the already-mentioned Purple Rose of Cairo, and Love and Death, perhaps the only entertaining philosophy movie ever. Play It Again, Sam is a must for any fan of Casablanca. Some of his older work, like Bananas, Sleeper, and Everything You Wanted to Know About Sex, were hilarious in their day but aged very poorly.

Maryn, who's been less impressed with later works

bookgeek
10-19-2006, 07:51 PM
To me, Woody Allen means: New York City, Mia Farrow, and weird relations with step-children.

When I see a Woody Allen movie, I'm never quite sure if it was funny or not. Maybe it was, but I was so distracted by all my thoughts about his weird relations with his adopted step-daughter: What do they do all day? What do they talk about? Is she an old soul? Was that what the attraction was? How's Mia holding up now, years later? Is she bitter? Does Mai Ling (or whatever her name is) have regrets now? Does she miss Mia? How about Woody? Will Woody leave Mai Ling one day for another daughter? Why doesn't Woody ever do a semi-autobiographical comedy about his misadventures with Mai Ling and Mia?

There are too many thoughts running through my head to enjoy his movies, if they should be enjoyed. But he does seem to really fit into the idea of "Manhattan" for some reason, for me.

If I were writing a story that needed a creepy old guy character from Manhattan, I'd use Woody as my inspiration.

JaneyJay
10-19-2006, 07:57 PM
Woody Allen is the wind in my sails. I love losing myself in the smart dialogue of his New York characters. I have always loved him and I always will. His movies are perfect.

Broadway Danny Rose is one of my favorite movies. Have you seen it KTC?

Stew21
10-19-2006, 08:23 PM
i disregard the "personal life of" stuff in regards to him, because I think his movies are smart and funny.

Mel Brooks did an interview with Dick Cavet years ago, and they talked about Woody Allen. In a stand up act, no one laughed, they just didn't get Woody's humor. He said he had a date with a girl whose face looked like Louis Armstrong's voice sounded. I laughed like crazy when I heard that. I guess it is an acquired taste.
He's also the one that had Alan Alda say, "Comedy is tragedy plus time." :)

I like Woody Allen. Have to watch one of his movies ever so often.

GPatten
10-19-2006, 08:47 PM
I despise him, his beliefs, and what he stands for.
I think he is a homely, dirty little man who thinks heís Gods gift to little girls and will crawl into bed and use them as he wishes. Heís the worst that the movie industry has to offer. I just canít watch his movies.

I donít think he is funny at all. I think he is pathetic. I think he should be put in jail and stoned until...

miles111
10-19-2006, 09:17 PM
I really enjoyed his stand-up routines but have never enjoyed his movies. Manhattan and Annie Hall are two that I own but very rarely watch.

Overall, I think he's a whiny, self-obsessed little twirp.

SpookyWriter
10-19-2006, 09:18 PM
I despise him, his beliefs, and what he stands for.
I think he is a homely, dirty little man who thinks heís Gods gift to little girls and will crawl into bed and use them as he wishes. Heís the worst that the movie industry has to offer. I just canít watch his movies.

I donít think he is funny at all. I think he is pathetic. I think he should be put in jail and stoned until...So please tell us what you really think of WA. :D Don't hold anything back because it's not good for your health.

P.S. I heard Woody and Madonna were going to do a movie together next year. Something about Raising Nigeria.

billythrilly7th
10-19-2006, 09:23 PM
Artistic and comedic genius, with extraordinary personal faults.

Thank you.

GPatten
10-19-2006, 09:24 PM
Standards must have dropped when I wasn't looking...

I think he has something stuck to his nose.

oswann
10-19-2006, 09:33 PM
I always wonder if I'm the only one not getting the jokes in his films. I don't think he's an artistic genius at all, however he is quite interesting in interview.

Os.

janetbellinger
10-19-2006, 09:36 PM
I'm sorry but to me Woody Allen means "done to death."

dclary
10-19-2006, 09:42 PM
I've never cared for Woody Allen, or his movies. The "repressed emasculated male Jew" isotype just didn't float my boat.

dclary
10-19-2006, 09:43 PM
I did read his book, though. One of my favorite lines ever:

"Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only that. Often there must be a beverage."

eldragon
10-20-2006, 01:40 AM
He does grow on you, though. I think "Hollywood Ending" is pretty good.

When my husband goes on and on about something - I call him Woody. I mean, drop it already, Woody!

ChaosTitan
10-20-2006, 03:40 AM
Not a thing to me.

I'd rather have Mel Brooks. His movies are funny.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
10-20-2006, 04:32 AM
I think he has something stuck to his nose.

When I first read this, I thought you'd said, "I think he has something stuck UP his nose."

I was going to ask, "Are you sure it's his NOSE something's stuck up?"

Well... er... never mind.

I agree with all the Woody Allen haters, FWIW now. :)

Perks
10-20-2006, 05:29 AM
He's always flown under my radar. I feel somehow dull saying I've never understood the draw. He seems rather a one-trick pony.

10-27-2006, 03:44 PM
thanks everyone for your help, very kind of you.