Do you believe in "the Muse"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kelwynnda

Do you believe in "the Muse"?

Hi all,

I'm working on a piece about inspiration right now... and found myself concluding that the much fabled "Muse" doesn't come around often enough to do much for me. Yes, I have flashes of inspiration that come from someplace (I know not where) but the Muses on the whole seem to be a persnickety lot... either that or they just don't like me (maybe they've gotten too comfortable over at Queen Nora's house!) I end up just writing the next thing that I think might fit (plodding along) and hoping it all makes sense in the end.

Anyway, I thought I'd post a query here and see what you all think. Do you believe in the Muse-- and does she visit you often? What do you do to invoke her presence (light candles, meditate, clip your toenails?)

Do tell how you invite a Goddess to sit down with your project and lend a hand!

Karyn
A PERSONAL MATTER
(HarperCollins)
Coming August 31!

TerriLynn

RE:Do you believe in "the Muse"?

Sure, I believe in a lot of things....which is what makes writing fun...I can make others believe it too. :D

However, my muses aren't of the subconscious, my muses are other writers. For example, Nora Roberts has been my muse since the first time I read one of her books...Sweet Revenge. Her incredible talent is what started me writing romantic suspense...but I gotta say, I'm glad I didn't start out reading her Harlequin works...I'd have never tried to learn from her. :b
I have a couple of other muses as well-- Jennifer Crusie and Jayne Anne Krentz. So whenever I need to jumpstart my writing again (not so much an idea for a book but how to begin-middle and end)...I curl up with one of their books.

And I would be happy to look over your query. Btw, if you get the RWR, Jennifer Crusie has an article on craft....it's a condensed version of the two hour workshop (which wasn't recorded) she did at the convention.

cheers!
;)

Terri

veingloree

Re: RE:Do you believe in "the Muse"?

I have never bought into the idea of muses much. I have moments that are easy and vivid to write and some that take a lot of work. However the hard work bits seem just as good to the reader! I tent to just sit downa nd write and spend 'down time' on the bus, before sleep, in queues etc thinking over the upcoming seems to try and get them real and emotional.

alinasandor

Re: RE:Do you believe in "the Muse"?

I believe you have to feed your muse by reading and learning. Only then she will hand you new ideas. Reading the genre you are writing is the best food.

kelwynnda

No Muse for me

Hey ladies,

Thanks for your thoughts on the muse! I actually call her the Idea Fairy (because she's about as real as the Tooth Fairy in my writing life!). I'm doing a little humorous piece on how fickle she is and how most inspiration is just... well, more plodding along!

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Karyn

Status
Not open for further replies.