PDA

View Full Version : Curiosity Question - Age Levels

Puma
10-19-2006, 02:13 PM
What's your age group and what age group is your intended audience?
Children - under 15
Young Adult - 15 - 25
High Life - 25 - 40
Mid Life - 40 - 55
Senior - over 55

I'm a senior with two WIP's for mid-life's/seniors and one that hopefully will appeal to all age groups. Puma

KTC
10-19-2006, 02:16 PM
I'm in two of your groups? (-; I'm High Life and Mid Life...scary.

I find myself writing for the Young Adult most frequently...just fall into that category when I visualize the story. It's not intentional.

Oddsocks
10-19-2006, 02:32 PM
Probably young adult, but I haven't thought about it very much. Could possibly be high life.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
10-19-2006, 02:43 PM
I'm a mid-lifer myself and hopefully write for the upper end of the young adult through Senior categories.

Jo
10-19-2006, 03:00 PM
My age group: High Life
Age group of intended audience: Children
Likely audience: All
Short story audience: Young Adult and up
Poetry audience: All

icerose
10-19-2006, 06:45 PM
I'm a young adult :Ssh: And different WIP's for different ranges. Each project has it's own target and they don't tend to follow each other's footsteps.

RhinoMom
10-19-2006, 06:53 PM
I write for children (ages 9-12) most of the time.

But do some short story, essays, blogging for high-lifers.
Debbie

Roger J Carlson
10-19-2006, 07:26 PM
I'm a Mid-Lifer, but I write primarily for Young Adult. I think it's because I never really grew up...

janetbellinger
10-19-2006, 07:30 PM
I'm in Midlife until December 2 when I become Senior. Both my current novels are written for HIgh Life to Senior age groups. My first novel was written with no age in mind but in retrospect I realized it was most suited to a Young Adult audience.

DragonHeart
10-19-2006, 07:37 PM
I'm a young adult writing for no particular target audience. I just write whatever stories I need to tell and if they appeal to someone, great. If not, well that's one less voice bouncing around in my head. :D Now if I could just get them to stop multiplying...just like bunnies, they are.

~DragonHeart~

Siddow
10-19-2006, 07:54 PM
I'm a high-lifer.
For some reason, that makes me very, very happy. Nice phrasing.

I've written several things for children, but I'd have to say my focus is on the YA-Mid-life group. At least, I hope that my novels will appeal to a 20-yr-old just as much as they will to a 50-yr-old. Until I get one published, though, I really don't know!

SHBueche
10-19-2006, 07:59 PM
Love this question, I am a Mid Life'r and I write for children.

Tiger
10-19-2006, 10:02 PM
I'm Mid Life. I work on a teen magazine--this keeps me in daily infusions of new vocabulary. Love this job--it's soooo SICK, bu!

-D

CaroGirl
10-19-2006, 10:06 PM
My age is between high life and mid life, and I hope I write for anyone over 25.

Freckles
10-19-2006, 10:07 PM
I'm 25, so I guess that makes me both young adult and high life. I think young adult sounds better, though, so I'm going with that one.

I write mostly for the high and midlife audience!

dobiwon
10-19-2006, 11:12 PM
I'm a senior (and my mind's still as sharp as a ... y'know one of those little pointy things).

My books are written for children.
My short stories are aimed at Young Adult to High Life.
My essays and poetry are targeted at Young Adult.

Oh, did I mention that I'm a senior?

And before I forget, I'm a senior.

Kate Thornton
10-20-2006, 12:10 AM
And before I forget, I'm a senior.
LOL!
Me too. I write for adult readers of all ages.

Tiger
10-20-2006, 01:21 AM
H'okay, den. Da probs all come wen we old futs encounter one meeeeeean mix of new idiom wit one regional dialect. Hooooo, bu! Da way da young guys rap sounds so hammajang.

K1P1
10-20-2006, 01:37 AM
I'm a mid lifer, and I write for ALL of your groups. I've got kids using my book all the way through seniors. And I hope that will be true for all the future ones too. But of course, I'm writing non-fiction.

Just curious: Were you expecting only fiction writers to respond?

Thomma Lyn
10-20-2006, 02:32 AM
I'm a High-Lifer, and though I see my primary audience as High-Lifers and Mid-Lifers, I want Young Adults and Seniors to enjoy my novels, too. :) And I have an e-published novella whose audience is primarily Seniors.

(edited to clarify)

ChaosTitan
10-20-2006, 03:23 AM
Young Adult includes up to age 25? :Wha:

Really?

Puma
10-20-2006, 04:00 AM
To the exploding green lobster - non-fiction writers are just as welcome to respond as fiction writers. Puma

smiley10000
10-20-2006, 12:57 PM
Young Adult includes up to age 25? :Wha:

Really?

I don't think so in the book world. But, for the purposes of this survey, I guess they made it that way...

I'm a High-Lifer (sounds so funny...) and I write for YA and HL although all are invited to come and read!

:D 10000

triceretops
10-20-2006, 01:56 PM
I'm mid-life for another eight days. I write for the 20+ audience, but certainly the teeny crowd would get my bent.

Tri

Puma
10-21-2006, 05:24 PM
I did a little looking at reading statistics/demographics and was not surprised to see that in general the reading populace percentage wise has gone down greatly in the past ten years and that the largest drop off was in young adults 18-24. Does anyone have a good source of reading demographics showing where the best markets (age levels and genre) are they could post? Puma

brianm
10-21-2006, 06:27 PM
I will turn 50 this February. One WIP is women's fiction the other is YA. I have written some very nice poetry... and a great deal of truly awful poetry. I mean truly awful, blubbering in my Guinness, feeling sorry for myself poetry.

I'm a die-hard romantic and I love children. So, I suppose that means I write mainly for women and children.

TrainofThought
10-21-2006, 06:40 PM
Iím a High Life fast approaching Mid Life. My intended audience ranges from High Life to Senior. I write what I know, which isnít much.

bookgeek
10-21-2006, 09:36 PM
I'm in the High Life (25-40) group (woohoo! Living the high life!) (in 6 more years, I will be mid-life) (thank GOODNESS there's no low life!).

I think I aim to write for High, Mid, and Senior people. But I have a feeling many Senior people (many, not all) don't get me. So, I'm going with: High and Mid being my target audience. Occasionally, I write things for Children. I don't get most (most, not all) Young Adults, so I avoid that group.

I wish I had the reading demographics info for you, but I don't. However, I also would be interested in seeing something like that so if anyone does have it, please share.

:) Amy

SeanDSchaffer
10-22-2006, 03:48 PM
What's your age group and what age group is your intended audience?
Children - under 15
Young Adult - 15 - 25
High Life - 25 - 40
Mid Life - 40 - 55
Senior - over 55

I'm a senior with two WIP's for mid-life's/seniors and one that hopefully will appeal to all age groups. Puma

My intended audience is High Life and above, I'd say. I use too much profanity in my works, in my own opinion, for anyone below the age of 20 to really handle. Also my works have sexual situations that parents might not want their teenagers reading about. And frankly, I would not want their teenagers reading such situations, either.

The group that you've listed that I myself am in, is High Life (I'm 35).