Status
Not open for further replies.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
My MC is in a situation where she has to kill a man with bare hands. I remembered my son telling me that his Kung Fu master in Thailand is able to do that, so I foreshadowed a bit and had her learning Kung Fu.
Now my son tells me that to get to that stage you need 30 yers training.
I'm not able to give this to my MC.
Can anyone think of away of doing it? This is for arevision needed ASAP, I had to change one scene so time is of the essence!

The scenario: the man is trying to get her to sleep with him. He's not going to rape her; he wants her to do it willingly so she is feigning interest. OUtside the door, there's an armed guard. She and this man are in a simple bedroom, there;s really nothing she could use as a weapon but somehow she has to figure out a way to kill him - or at least disable him so that she can escape through the window. (Yes, disabling is fine as long as it is plausible.)

Also, it never actually comes to that. Before she can get down to killing/disabling him, something happens to make it unnecessary., But she has to think out this plan in her head, and it has to be plausible.

Martial arts is a good option, but anything else you can think of?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm guessing you have a reason why she doesn't just scream for the armed guard?

I would go for his eyes in some way; or his throat (I don't mean choking, I mean punching him right in the Adam's apples). And I would probably NOT use the old hackneyed idea of kicking him in the you-know-where. These would be used just to disable the man temporarily.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
alleycat said:
I'm guessing you have a reason why she doesn't just scream for the armed guard?

I would go for his eyes in some way; or his throat (I don't mean choking, I mean punching him right in the Adam's apples). And I would probably NOT use the old hackneyed idea of kicking him in the you-know-where. These would be used just to disable the man temporarily.

The armed guard is a baddie! He's on the side of the would-be rapist!
I just remembered: in the room there's a meal laid out. Knives and forks, wine glasses. What if she grabs the knife or fork, jabs him in the throat or eyes? She has to disarm hin long enough to escape through the window.

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
would the killing be accidental or intentional?

smash his head with a lamp and strangle him with an electrical wire from a lamp.

or smash his head with a wine bottle, and then slice the sharp glass into his neck (to kill), chest to disable.

or hand to hand:

an upper palm strike to a guy's nose will essentially render him blind for a long moment where she could then kick him in the balls or something to run away.

or hitting him in the throat and then kicking him in the balls.

just some ideas im throwing out. but like alley said, a kick to the balls wont knock the guy out.

one thing a person learns in any real world situation is that things get messy and you have to improvise. so just do some sort of realistic combination of things and that should work.

good luck

Nicholas S.H.J.M Woodhouse

swooping after you
Registered
Reaction score
does she have a purse with her? or maybe a shoe she could beat him with, stab a heel in his hand?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here's one little scenario . . . she asks the guy to be sure the door is locked before they "get it on". While he's doing that, she takes a fork (I assume the knife is actually a butter knifes) and hides it. Then when she gets a good chance, she jabs the fork right in his throat. That would insure that the guard would have to knock down the door before he could get in, and the guy in the room is going to be concerned with himself for a while. She might also do something to be sure the window is opened or unlocked before all of this.

Just an idea.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Nicholas S.H.J.M Woodhouse said:
does she have a purse with her? or maybe a shoe she could beat him with, stab a heel in his hand?

Nope, no purse or anything at all. It;s a very simple environment, tropical, so the window is already open. Thanks to everyone, that-s already a lot of ideas I can work with. But keep them coming!

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Aruna,

Be careful with claims of kill shots using bare hands. It's mostly hype and myth.
Even the (especially the) Masters of the Arts admit that the "kill shots" do not really work. The most common blow is the "drive the bridge of his nose into his brain." Although this is the one I read about the most, it is the most unlikely of the scenarios as the nose is soft cartilage and just collapses. You can kill someone breaking the nose but it's from bleeding to death. While he bleeds out, he is not disabled and can render much harm before going into shock.
The other blows you will read about, simply do not work except under the most controlled of circumstances.

If your MC has no Martial Arts training then it is even more unlikely.

Many successful books, however, describe kill shots so if you did write about one, you wouldn't discredit yourself too much except from advanced practitioners and they are just used to it.

If disabling is fine, I would suggest you go with that for plausibility.
Since I grew up small, I trained small. The best blow I was taught was to break the collarbone, which collapses with a relatively easy strike -- about 15 pounds per square inch – and renders the opponent helpless. They just fall to the ground. If your MC is “going along” with the man, a close-up romantic situation can be written where the opponent is caught in a moment of vulnerability. A hard elbow, downward strike, will disable the largest of men.

Once he is writhing on the ground, (and cussing and screaming), MC can escape or do other harm.

I use this in most of my fight scenes where the MC is of smaller stature than the antag.

Security guard needs to be "in on it", knocked out, gone on break or on rounds.

Mike

Last edited:

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Ok, I came to a decision... no decision! While she is being "manhandled" she is thinking what to do. Her thougts are galloping through the options, the very stuff you've provided above. First get the guard out, then use her wits. Kung Fu, kick his balls, use the fork or knife, dig in his eyeballs? Her eye on the open window. She can't make up her mind; she'll have to play it by ear. Pretend to like the manhandling. Pretend to respond. Get the guard with the gun out. Mind racing, heart pounding. And then something happens to switch everything around...

Thanks to everyone who responded, rps for all, and I am still accepting suggestions! The more the better....

Elektra

Don't Call Me Sweetheart
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure if this is anticlimatic, but could she always carry pepper spray on her? That'll incapacitate him for a very long time.

Histry Nerd

Moving Forward!
Registered
Reaction score
Texas. It's like a whole 'nother country.
The problem with using pepper spray indoors is she may incapacitate herself as well.

Others have already mentioned a few methods. She can learn a few very nasty moves with only a day's worth of training or so, mainly where to hit or kick him to incapacitate quickly. There are martial arts techniques for killing with a single blow, but generally only the masters will be able to execute them, so that's probably not an option. And as rtilryarms mentioned, most are myth anyway.

Best bets, from the training I've had (in no particular order):
1) Something in the eye (a key or fork works well, but a thumb or finger would be good especially if she has longer fingernails)
2) Groin (a hard enough kick can actually tear the cartilage that holds the pelvis together in front, crippling him)
3) Solar plexus, the spot where the ribs come together (if she hits him in the right spot, he will go down no matter how big he is--there are no abdominal muscles to protect the diaphragm at that point)
4) Throat (the Adam's apple is harder to crush than the movies show, but a good shot will distract him for a while)
5) Knee (hard to break, but not hard to cause a lot of pain and make walking difficult)

There is a three-shot combination that will probably put him down: knee to the groin, then to the face as he doubles over, followed by an elbow strike to the back of the neck. She could learn that one in a few hours.

Of course, if he's under the influence of something, none of these may affect him.

Hope these are useful to you.
HN

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Thanks, Elektra and History Nerd. Pepper won't work, as she's by necessity empty-handed.
HN, that thing with the three-shot combination works perfectly. In fact, I can foreshadow her training for this as I have someone who would be able to train her earlier in the book. Thanks!

Last edited:

Elektra

Don't Call Me Sweetheart
Registered
Reaction score
Wasn't that what Sandra Bullock did for her talent in Miss Congeniality?

Scarlett_156

asdf
Registered
Reaction score
A person who is completely untrained in martial arts and who has never engaged in combat before (you didn't mention these as factors for your main character) is more than likely NOT going to be able to kill or disable another person quickly or easily with her bare hands.

And keep in mind-- try to put yourself in the character's position: Could YOU stab someone in the eye with a fork, even if you knew they might kill you? Or dig your fingers into someone's eyes? I mean-- ewwww! It takes steely determination to do something like that.

People I know who have suffered BAD attacks in which they were frightened out of their wits will admit that there may have been opportunities to damage their attacker-- but the idea that any injury you give your attacker may NOT keep him from hurting you more, and may in fact make him hurt you WORSE is a powerful inhibitor. (Thus the syndrome of guilt that many rape vicitims experience, i.e., "I could have gotten out of it, but I didn't.")

Kicking someone in the nards may disable him for a couple of minutes, but when those couple of minutes are over, you'd better hope you are out of there and running for your life.

Punching someone in the adam's apple IS a good way to incapacitate that person for more than a couple of minutes, and there's an added benefit that in those couple of minutes he won't be able to call for help. In those couple of minutes, if escape is not easily possible, your protagonist-- only if she is a total badass-- COULD possibly take things a bit further and try to garotte him with something, or (last resort) stab him to death. Garotte might be easier, if there is something close to hand to use. A smaller person can strangle a larger person if the larger person is lying on his/her stomach and the smaller person is kneeling on his back, applying the garotte with some determination. Naturally no one is going to just lie there and let himself be killed, keep in mind.

Stabbing him to death will take a long time, at the end of which your character will be covered in blood.

From my own point of view-- which I realize may not be that helpful given your character's disposition and personal abilities-- I would pleasure the creep senseless, and then, once I felt certain that he believed I was under his control, I would garotte him and bash his head repeatedly against something sharp, like the edge of a table or the bedstead, until he was
knocked out or dead. If I wanted him dead after he was knocked out I would put him on the floor and drop the leg of the bed onto his temple a couple of times, or hit him with a chair if there was one available.

In any case-- killing another human being is not the simple process we have been led to believe in by TV and the movies. Even knocking someone out takes a great deal of luck or skill, especially if they are bigger than you are.

I hope this was helpful!

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Scarlett_156 said:
I would pleasure the creep senseless

We may need a demonstration on this. Can you post on Utube please?

Elektra

Don't Call Me Sweetheart
Registered
Reaction score
You mentioned there was a meal--can she throw boiling hot coffee or tea at his face?

wordmonkey

ook
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writingmonkey.com
Two things.

Flailing and swinging she smacks her forearm, or elblow up under his nose. I believe you can break the bone and send the shard of bone back and up into the brain.

Alternatively if she access to a bottle use that as a weapon. Don't have her try and break like a movie bar-fight. Hold the body and use the neck as the weapon part. Ramming the neck into his armpit will drop him good.

Also, pop out to the library or book store and buy a book about miltary survival training. Lots of good stuff there.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Scarlett_156 said:
A person who is completely untrained in martial arts and who has never engaged in combat before (you didn't mention these as factors for your main character) is more than likely NOT going to be able to kill or disable another person quickly or easily with her bare hands.

From my own point of view-- which I realize may not be that helpful given your character's disposition and personal abilities-- I would pleasure the creep senseless, and then, once I felt certain that he believed I was under his control, I would garotte him and bash his head repeatedly against something sharp, like the edge of a table or the bedstead, until he was
knocked out or dead. If I wanted him dead after he was knocked out I would put him on the floor and drop the leg of the bed onto his temple a couple of times, or hit him with a chair if there was one available.

Thanks for your input! Actually, she has had some training and is actually quite good at martial arts - but knows her limitations. She's also a very feisty (ugh, hate that word!) person, and the situation is such that more than her own life is at stake, so her motivation to act extraordinarily brave is given.
I like the thing with pleasuring him senseless and have used it in my final revision - I will acknowledge you in the credits when it's published!!!!;)

Thought Leadership

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.TLIRGroup.com
Does she have nails...?

Imagine her kneeling above him (you can work out the details!). He stretched his head back, thus exposing his windpipe/adams apple. She swipes her arm sideways as hard as she can, her outstretched and very stiff fingers go under the adams apple, through the skiln...his windpipe, voice box and assorted major nerves ripped out...

Or, during a caress she presses suddenly and firmly with both thumbs into the depressions just to the side and slightly behind the eyes (Vagus nerve, as I recall) Death follows...

sharra

Registered
Reaction score
Just a thought - most women, and anyone who is a bit smaller than average, will be able to do more damage with the heel of the hand than trying to punch someone. They're also a lot less likely to break their own hand.
On the head & shoulders go for temples, eyes, nose,& throat. Base of the skull where it meets the spinal column.
Body wise go for the sternum - it's one place that's almost impossible to build muscle up on, so can be vulnerable. Collarbone is good, also the diaphram.
Avoid groin shots since if the assailant is faster, he'll trap her knee & she can't escape.
Kneecaps are pretty vulnerable; a good swift downward kick followed by a swift punch to the throat means 99.9% of people receiving this are too busy figuring out how to breath for the next few minutes to worry about much else.
She might not kill him, but if she has martial arts skills & he doesn't she would probably be able to put him on the floor.

Billytwice

Registered
Reaction score
I don’t know about killing someone with your bare hands but you could disable the target without using a weapon.
How about a dead-leg? A tactic learnt on the rugby fields of Wales. It involves a sharp blow with the knee to the target's outside thigh. If done sharply and strong enough it causes excruciating, disabling pain. The target invariably falls to the floor rolling in agony. It's only slightly less painful than a kick in the orchestra pit but much longer lasting.
The target takes ages to recover from it with the added bonus that it would seriously slow him down with a limp (being unable to flex his leg muscles for up to a day.) This could lead into an interesting chase scene.

TeddyG

The Other Shoe Will Fall!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.virginisrael.com
Aruna fess up..
You just developed that whole scenario...to figure out how to get rid of me with your bare hands....

what some people will go through just to try and kill me...sheesh :D

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
TeddyG said:
Aruna fess up..
You just developed that whole scenario...to figure out how to get rid of me with your bare hands....

what some people will go through just to try and kill me...sheesh :D

*** SPECIAL * SPECIAL * SPECIAL ***

RTILRYARMS
SCHOOL OF
AGGRESSIVE
SELF DEFENSE

Free Tuition for Aruna...today only

*** SPECIAL * SPECIAL * SPECIAL ***

Status
Not open for further replies.