The MTS Braggatorium

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
Todd- just read the last part of The Backseat Virgin- excellent! Didn't see the twist coming- nice job! And congrats on the publication!

I was interviewed by the larger of out three local papers and while I was hoping for a few lines after the obituraries- i was NOT expecting a front page spread- complete with color photo! (the picture however sucks to all eternity!)

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Todd- just read the last part of The Backseat Virgin- excellent! Didn't see the twist coming- nice job! And congrats on the publication!

I was interviewed by the larger of out three local papers and while I was hoping for a few lines after the obituraries- i was NOT expecting a front page spread- complete with color photo! (the picture however sucks to all eternity!)

Wow that's awesome, though! :D

sheadakota

Registered
Reaction score
Shea, that's awesome! Is there a link online?
I so suck at posting links- There is, let me see if i can access it- don't anyone hold there breath or anything though-lol-

sheadakota

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry had visitors! I am severly techno challenged, but jude(bless her) offered to find the link and post it for me! It is good to have friends!

sheadakota

Registered
Reaction score
Well I couldn't post the link- but here's part of the aritcle;

Today is Saturday, January 2, 2010
Print Edition | Contact Us | Support/FAQ | Classifieds | Special Publications | 7 Day Archive

This story is from the Friday, January 1, 2010 edition of the Press Enterprise.

Nurse stitches novel elements together

Click on image to download pdf

By GARY PANG

Press Enterprise Writer

BEAVER TWP. – Geisinger nurse Ann Simko has penned a thriller about a world where medical breakthroughs come from experiments on humans.

In "Fallen," a government agency uses soldiers as guinea pigs after listing them as missing in action.

It's Simko's first published novel, available as an electronic book online. She has three more on the way with the same online publisher, she says.

The story features gunplay, military tactics and police protocol, but Simko knew nothing about them.

So she consulted friends in the military and even the police chief of the town that serves as the backdrop for "Fallen."

As for some gory scenes, Simko, 48, relied on her work experience in the Intensive Care Unit.

Century-old Marine

Here's the plot:

A doctor in Caliente, Nevada, finds a young Marine suffering from a gunshot wound.

However, Michael Ricco's dog tagssay he was born in 1898, which makes him more than 100 years old.

Soon, Dr. Dakota Thomas discovers Ricco has been living so long without aging due to genetic experimentation.

The doctor and Ricco then try to get to the bottom of what's happening.

They get help from Thomas's brother, Montana, who is an investigator and a retired Army Ranger.

The Thomases are both Dakota Indians, the author noted.

"Fallen" is the first book in Simko's "Coyote Moon" series.

'Star Trek' dilemma

Simko's inspiration for "Fallen" came from a conversation with co-workers at Geisinger.

They were marveling at how a patient would be dead if certain medical procedures weren't developed and used widely today.

Simko started wondering what if every medical advance in the last century had resulted from something sinister.

She also considered Spock's question in "Star Trek," whether the majority's needs are more important than the minority's.

Research

Simko wanted to make the story believable, so she researched Nevada's climate on Google.

She quizzed two Army Rangers about their preferred weapon for going on patrols. She asked how they would clear a room of enemies.

Simko also asked Caliente's police chief how his department would have handled various incidents in "Fallen."

The author said she felt foolish at first. She had not planned to get her novel published.

Prequel, sequel coming

"Fallen" is being published in electronic form by Lyrical Press. The company is run by a married couple in Staten Island, N.Y., Simko said.

"Fallen" has adult language and violence, and Simko recommends it for readers older than 16.

Lyrical Press plans to publish a prequel and a sequel to "Fallen," and also an unrelated novel, Simko said.

Simko has worked at Geisinger for 26 years, including 10 in the ICU.

Husband Robert, 44, is a Geisinger nurse anesthetist. Their children are Noah, 12, and Maria, 11. The family has three dogs, five horses and four cats.

Simko has a Web site: www.annsimko.com.

Gary

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, sorry Shea, that I wasn't here last night. Glad you got it up! The reason you couldn't post a link is that the paper requires a subscription. But this was a fantastic article!

sheadakota

Registered
Reaction score
You mean I'm NOT pathetic? LOL! Thanks guys, the reporter misquoted me a few times wich ruffles my feathers a bit (Dakota indians??- how about LAKOTA!) but hey- it publicity!

jeseymour

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jeseymour.com
Hi gang! I've been very busy writing lately and haven't had much time to hang out here. I'm just popping in to ask a favor. If you liked my story "Brotherly Love" (http://www.beattoapulp.com/stor/2009/1129_jes_BrotherlyLove.cfm) would you please go and vote for it in the Preditors and Editors readers poll? http://www.critters.org/predpoll/shortstory.shtml It's a very simple process. Right now I'm tied for thirteenth. :D It's in the list, the list is alphabetical, it's very easy. They also have voting for other things, like writers forums. So after you vote for my story, you can go vote for AW if you want. :tongue Thank you for your consideration!

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Me too. :) Good luck!

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Is anyone else having trouble getting on critters? I've tried every way I can think of but it won't let me on. How long's the poll up for, jesey?

sheadakota

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe its just overloaded Jude- I had no problem getting on.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
I tried that several times. I'm going to see if I can fix my old laptop, maybe try a different computer? It's always hard to tell what Ogden will or will not let me do. He's very fussy.

Pfft. Fixed a computer and it *still* wouldn't let me on! Quick, someone vote six or eight times for me. I'll keep trying.

Last edited:

jeseymour

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jeseymour.com
Top ten! Thanks guys! :hooray: Remember, vote early and vote often. ;)

Seriously, thanks a bunch! This story features the same character in my novel coming out this year, so the publicity is great!