Status
Not open for further replies.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Extra information and reasoning is more than welcome :)

Do you care about music?

Y \ N

Have you ever taken music classes, or participated in a school's music program?

Y \ N

Do you believe that schools without music programs are capable of educating students as well as schools that do not? Why or Why not?

Y \ N
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Did your pre-college facilities have music programs?

Y \ N \ some of them

Does J.C.C.C (Johnson County Community College) have a music program?

Y \ N \ ????

If you've ever taken music lessons, private or otherwise, do you feel that it had a significant impact on your overall education?

Y \ N

Last edited:

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Did I miss something here? What survey? What reasoning? What? What? Okay, it's time to switch into my writers shorts and follow a more understandable thread. :Shrug:

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
SpookyWriter said:
Did I miss something here? What survey? What reasoning? What? What? Okay, it's time to switch into my writers shorts and follow a more understandable thread. :Shrug:

Ya, sorry, I had some weird technical errors when I posted. o_o

Reaction score
Bartholomew said:

Do you care about music?

Y \ N

Y \ N

Do you believe that schools without music programs are capable of educating students as well as schools that do not? Why or Why not?

Y \ N
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Y \ N \ some of them

Y \ N \ ????

If you've ever taken music lessons, private or otherwise, do you feel that it had a significant impact on your overall education?

Y \ N

1.Y
2.Y
3.Y - Because while we have kids with no music ability trying to learn the triangle the Chinese are taking over the world. A school music program has no effect on the quality of education in important subjects. School bands are pretty worthless.
4. No idea what a pre-college facility is.
5. :Shrug:
6. Zero impact.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Billy. :)

And thanks to anyone else who answers. Please feel free to elaborate as much or little as you like. While only the Y / N answers will be tabulated for my statistics, all opposing // supporting arguments will be considered for the rest of the project.

^-^

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bartholomew said:
Thanks Billy. :)

And thanks to anyone else who answers. Please feel free to elaborate as much or little as you like. While only the Y / N answers will be tabulated for my statistics, all opposing // supporting arguments will be considered for the rest of the project.

^-^
Is this for an article or something? THere is a research section to post things. :)

Do you care about music? Yes

Yes, band, choir, and orchestra. I also enjoyed Music appreciation class. We studied the history of music. With all these I grew more confident and developed an appreciation for a wider array of music.

Schools with music programs are better than schools without. Not only do students gain confidence, but they learn discipline. Also students who participate in music also improve in their academic classes. I don't know the direct reason. Perhaps it is just the above, or that music is a kind of math.
_________

Y \ N \ some of them Do you mean Graduate School? Didn't go. My college was so small, it didn't either. I went to film school, does adding a score to your film or editing a music video count

Y \ N \ ???? Um, Not applicable...

Y \ N See above. Oh, I took guitar as well. That was outside of school. You want a story showing how music has a positive influence? I sort of lost interest in the guitar after I had it a couple years. I liked playing in my room, but I didn't see myself playng in front of people, a pre-requisite for rockstardom. I had a friend, let's call her Maggie, who played piano, and I gave her my guitar and showed her what I knew in exchange for piano lessons. We both went off to separate colleges, and on holidays, I would 'visit' my guitar. Her brother, Bob, who was a year younger, sort of took over owner ship of the guitar. She/we didn't mind becuase he took good care of it. He loved it and changed its strings. Flash to oh, 8 years later. I was moving to NYC, and Maggie suggested I call her dad, who lived on Long Island. I had only met him once, since Maggie had lived with her mom in highschool. I wasn't sure he'd remember me. I sent him a tentative email, to which he responded, "Of course I remember you, You saved my son! you gave him your guitar." Um...Yeah, sure, let's go with that! When I moved to NYC, her dad met me at the airport and had me stay with him and his wife for a couple days before I went up to the big apple. :)

jbal

Registered
Reaction score
yyny?y

ETA:students in music programs seem to perform better academically as a rule. Music is all math, like most things, but it also promotes creativity and non-linear thinking. Music programs in schools are all too often among the first victims of budget cuts, and most schools seem to favor funding for athletics. Another positive side effect, I'd much rather have my kid playing guitar than Playstation or something.

Last edited:

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
Do you care about music?

Y

Y

Y

Because music is not all that matters, literature and art can be just as important, it just matters that a school actually does educate the students at least in some form of art, even if not in music. But it is preferable that they have that capacity.

Y

????

Y

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Bartholomew said:
Do you care about music?
Y
Y
Y
:Shrug:
N

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bartholomew said:
Do you care about music?

Y -- "care about" is kind of a weak term for it.

Y -- not as part of a school curriculum after about 4th grade.

Y \ N
Kind of a loaded question. I want to say "yes", because I'm extremely in favor of music programs -- and I believe music study has several benefits (diversity of interest/thought, structured thinking, teamwork, creativity, etc.).

Y \ N \ some of them
What's "pre-college"? High school? No, not specifically. We had a band.

????

Y
Yes, but not my employability. Then again, the two should be separate; if you want education, it should include the arts. If you want training, the arts are irrelevant.
There you go.

maddythemad

Registered
Reaction score
Do you care about music?

Not really

Yes. Cello. 7 years. Nearly killed me.

I think it's nice to have music options for kids who want them. So, yes, I think it's an advantage, but not necessary.

Haven't been to any "pre-college facilities." I dropped out of middle school (almost literally.) But, yes, my middle school had a music program.

I haven't the faintest clue.

I think music lessons may be a good idea for some, but for me they were a waste of time and money. I wasn't that interested in playing, and I wasn't that interested in practicing. I was writing a novel at the time, and preferred not to break up my evening with practicing the cello.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
Do you care about music?

Y \ N

What do you mean, "do you care about it?" Do I care if it exists? Do I care about music education? Do I like music? Do I think that music education should be publically funded?

Um...I guess "Yes," though I'm not sure what you're asking.

Y\ N

No, I'm self-taught at playing the guitar. In elementary school, we were all forced to participate in music classes and forced to try out for chorus, and I absolutely hated that.

I hate being forced to do anything. It takes the fun out of it. I like to do what I like to do.

Y \ N

Are capable of educating students as well as schools that do not what? Educate them at all?

Educating them in what? In music? In other subjects? I'm not an education expert, but I don't believe that educational instruction is inexorably linked to music instruction.

Do I feel that schools which don't offer music programs are offering one less way for students to explore their talents and creativity? Yes. I feel the same way about schools which don't offer fine arts programs, drama programs, and sports programs.

Do you mean, did my elementary, middle, and high schools have music programs? Yes.

Y \ N \ some of them

Y \ N \ ????

I have no idea what that is.

Y \ N

No, not at all.

Last edited:

Inkdaub

wrapped in plastic
Registered
Reaction score
Past where the river bends, past where the silo st
Do you care about music?

Y

Y

N - Music encourages free thought which is important to mental and emotional development.

Y

????

Y - However, I am a listener and not a player when it comes to music.

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Do you care about music?

Y
\ N

Y \ N from 4th through 12th grade

Y \ N ??
________Hmm..kinda tough, I would certainly choose a school that offered a music or other art program over one that didn't for my kids, and believe all kids should be exposed to at least some musical/art education during their school years. I think music students could have an edge on learning math. Participating in a music program also teaches a student how to work in a group and the disciplne of long term projects is a valuable skill. But I don't know that I can say a school that doesn't offer music would fail a student in any way.

Y \ N \ some of them N/A

Y \ N \ ???? haha, well Laramie County Community College did.

Y
\ N Music was something that I excelled in. It also was one of the few things I learned that I felt I would use outside of school.

Last edited:

bookgeek

Vicarious is my middle name.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amywritesstuff.wordpress.com
Do you care about music?

Y

Y

No
Without specifically naming what I do for a living (although by the time I'm done with this rant, I bet you can figure it out), it's my belief/opinion (backed up by several well-researched studies on how brains grow and function best) that if the United States of America continues to focus on skill, skill, skill and testing, testing, testing in its public schools, and continues to reduce or
eliminate many schools' arts programs, we will soon be left with citizens who are like little, mindless robots who can't do much more than sit around and drool on themselves all day. I also believe this could be exactly what the American government wants, but that's another suspicious conspiracy rant for another day.

In other words: Music, art, physical education, etc etc are all good for your brain...memorizing useless crap is not.

Y I'm assuming this means high school?

???? Uuuh...yes??? And if I'm right: you go, JCCC!

Yes (see my long response above)

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
All answers are yes - except the part about the community college I have never heard of.

So many people get out of their schooling with the idea that the crap they have been listening to as teenagers is not only music, but all there is to music. Basic music education is not only a necessary part of understanding our culture (or any culture) but also an invaluable aid to other learning disciplines, most notably mathematics.

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
bookgeek said:
In other words: Music, art, physical education, etc etc are all good for your brain...memorizing useless crap is not.

While music, art, PE, etc are indeed good for your brain, memorization is also an excellent way in which you may exercise neural pathways. It's always good to have a good memory for as long as possible.

What you may deem "useless crap" at an early age may be what differentiates you from the other bumpkins later on, especially when it comes to cultural and historical references (I'm thinking historical timelines & perspective, a large and useful vocabulary and rules of mathematics and grammar.)

Gary

Registered
Reaction score
Do you care about music?

Y

N

Y Most schools that educated America's greatest generation did not teach music. They got along fine.

some of them

No

Music in school is fine, but shouldn't interfere with core education.

TsukiRyoko

Forced into cell phone life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tsuki-explodes.blogspot.com
Do you care about music?

Y \ N

Y \ N

Y \ N
Music stimulates the mind and develops creativity, which is a crucial part of education. Besides, a school without music is dull indeed.

Y \ N \ some of them

Y \ N \ ???? Je ne sais pas

Y \ N It gave me something else to think about when I was taking a boring test :tongue

Status
Not open for further replies.